bhhracing

Need some help with an image please!

My buddy wanted to use this his for his car, as it was his dads when he passed. BUT I cant get it to vectorize clean. Wanted to do it in cut vinyl. Anyone have programs that would help me?

Thanks!

What program are you using to vector? This image shouldn't be hard to do and I did a quick test using Inkscape and the autotrace came back with a pretty good result.

On 2/4/2018 at 11:20 AM, Sue2 said:

That's under copyright protection.

Hot Stuff the Little Devil is a comic book character created by Warren Kremer .

So, how do you know what you can use and can't? like ive been getting simple black and white images off google, i can use them all i want for person use correct? but not suppose to sell them right, like the files in the library in the software can we legally use those and sell them? not sure all of that works

Think of it this way --- if someone else created a design that is essentially a trademark for a commercially-profitable (or even a registered non-profit) enterprise, then you don't have RIGHTS to take it and use it for your own profit.

For quick reference, here is a typical logo that is copyrighted (Knights of Columbus) and they have a section in their Publicity Rules called "Permission to Use Name & Emblem of the Order" https://www.kofc.org/en/resources/service/council/publicity.pdf

The name and emblem of the Knights of Columbus are among its most valuable assets. For this
reason, the Order has registered them as trademarks in the various countries where the Order is
active. In addition, the Order has numerous other marks, many of which have also been registered.
The registered and unregistered trademarks and service marks (collectively the “Marks”) of Knights
of Columbus are valuable properties belonging to the Supreme Council.  
Proper use of the Order’s Marks, including its name and emblems, is a critical element of protecting
the Knights of Columbus’ name, emblems, trademarks, service marks, and reputation (collectively the “brand”). Protecting the Knights of Columbus brand is one of the most important responsibilities of any Knights of Columbus officer.
The Board of Directors has granted limited permission to Subordinate Units to use the Marks,
including its name and emblem, in connection with any activity that constitutes “Ordinary
Fraternal Use.”
“Ordinary Fraternal Use” means the use of the Marks in connection with activities or programs
approved by a Subordinate Unit or by the Supreme Council...

kofc.JPG

I believe any thing and everything created is technically copyright protected even if not registered. The catch there is it becomes hard to prove ownership of non registered work.

There is a fair use clause that does allow some usage of stuff for personal use, but that's kind of a gray area and can come down to a matter of who has more money in the law suit. I remember a story from years ago about a teach who drew some mickey mouse pictures and hung in her class room. Some how Disney found out and came after her. I don't remember the outcome but I know it was a mess.

Basically, if you didn't create it, assuming that you are not allowed to use it.

3 hours ago, darcshadow said:

I believe any thing and everything created is technically copyright protected even if not registered. The catch there is it becomes hard to prove ownership of non registered work.

There is a fair use clause that does allow some usage of stuff for personal use, but that's kind of a gray area and can come down to a matter of who has more money in the law suit. I remember a story from years ago about a teach who drew some mickey mouse pictures and hung in her class room. Some how Disney found out and came after her. I don't remember the outcome but I know it was a mess.

Basically, if you didn't create it, assuming that you are not allowed to use it.

So does that go for the stuff in the library on our software? don't they sell add on art for all the programs i would think if you paid for it then its yours to do as you like.

im new so asking

You have to read the license agreement to be sure. It's sad, but even if you buy something, you may still not be able to legally use it.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, eprcvinyls said:

So does that go for the stuff in the library on our software? don't they sell add on art for all the programs i would think if you paid for it then its yours to do as you like.

i'm new so asking

clipart is there for added functionality.

Did you read what I posted above? The software SignBlazer Elements includes LOGOS section which features many corporate brands, including that KofC insignia, as well as Toyota, KMart, Castrol, Pepsi, Heineken, Kodak, Nike, etc.

Just because you have ACCESS to something, doesn't mean you now OWN it to "do as you like"

Use some common sense, if you are seeking to reproduce a brand or a trademark or art that's clearly not in the "public domain" then generally, you need to have specific permission.

I recall doing a few signs for a local McDonald's franchisee for their parking lot. They wanted the Golden Arches logo on the signs, and I just threw them on there, figuring "hey, it's McDonald's ordering the signs, for McDonald's" ---   needless to say, Corporate was not happy because the franchisee did not follow their agreements regarding signage.

It didn't bite me in the ass, but certainly could have.

Oh wow and i wouldn't use anything like that (big name companys logo) im just using simple things like a pair of lips, or outline of my State, I did find a black and white owl i liked on google and used it with a saying. a couple of black cats. i would think it would be hard for someone to say if those are theirs or not.

" outline of my State "  -- I sure hope you get written permission from the Governor's office for that.

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, slice&dice said:

" outline of my State "  -- I sure hope you get written permission from the Governor's office for that.

LOL..... ha ha.. Well we have used such on our shirts before. but never sold them... Same with Flags and such.

8 hours ago, eprcvinyls said:

Oh wow and i wouldn't use anything like that (big name companys logo)....

While you may not be inclined to use copyright/trademarked logo, it's not going to stop people from asking you. I hit the local flea market once in a while and comic con's we have here (hey, don't judge! :P), and I regularly see infringement issues. There are always at least a few booths that are selling vinyl cut, or printed and contour cut stuff - Ricky & Morty, Hello Kitty, Nike, Puma, Addias, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.). Those booths even go so far as to put up huge signs on their booth telling people they aren't allowed to take pictures of their booth or anything being sold in it - I'm not sure if they're trying to protect all their illegal hard work, or themselves because of all the infringement happening ... probably a little of both. People love branded stuff, especially if they can get a deal on it.

I have gained a little personal knowledge on this topic to that I will try to relay the best I can without writing a novel. 

In short there are two types of protection. One is copyright and as noted previously it pretty much happens at the time of inception without any need to even apply. It's a good idea to apply if it's going to be a public item and you want to help control misuse but still protected just by being the author. Within that protection it goes very far to include works that are "Inspired by" your design so you can think you came up with a cool swoosh and low and behold you were actually inspired by Nike so bzzzzt no-go for you. Hope that makes sense. In the Copyright world there are myriad things and they mostly all lead to a court of law and who has the documentation of proof and the most to spend on litigation. Deep pockets can win just through the power of the purse. The fair use protection DOES allow for use in certain circumstances but is only a protection that you can use WHEN THEY DECIDE TO SUE YOU meaning you may or may not be actually able to win and this may be determined by who is deciding to fight you on it. If it's Harley, Monster or Disney etc... good freakin' luck, have fun in court. 

Trademark protection is totally based toward marketable brands etc...and protects the company or group or whomever from others using their "brand" as the term usually goes. Trademark even protects against thing such as diluting their market which essentially means you can't even GIVE something away. I would avoid trademark infringement like the plague (which has had some reoccurrence lately incidentally).  

ALL THAT BEING SAID, I have a few kids off to college and I actually contacted one of the schools and asked if I could get a limited license to reproduce some school gear for my kids. They told me two interesting things. One. No I could not get licensed (at least with that particular school) for any limited type thing it was sort of all-or nothing and had to have all sorts of minimum sales agreements etc... so no. Two. Yes I could do whatever the heck I was capable of within the bounds of my own family for my own use but limited to that. They did, in that conversation ask that I honor their brand layout, colors sizes etc.. if I would be so kind (because they admitted they had to ask that and had no power to enforce it) I gladly agreed to only build items that looked pretty much like they sell anyway just our of courtesy. So for your own use I am under the understanding that you are good. Bottom line is they are not likely to go to the trouble of trying to sue you for a couple hoodies you and your kid are wearing. CAN they still sue you? Yes I think they can sue you because your hair is brown if they choose but you can be sued for anything these days. Now take those items and place them for sale out online where Google will find any key word and you just got yourself a lawsuit waiting to happen. Usually a Notice to cease and desist comes first.  

I probably better add in an effort to CMA to please note the SEVERAL places in this post where you could be sued. Several, and I probably didn't say it enough. I am in no way any kind of attorney or lawyer or counsel. Take a look at my username and realize that following my advice may lead you...well, on a wild goose chase. The name came from my jeeping days and it stuck. 

4 hours ago, haumana said:

While you may not be inclined to us copyright/trademarked logo, it's not going to stop people from asking you. I hit the local flea market once in a while and comic con's we have here (hey, don't judge! :P), and I regularly see infringement issues. There are always at least a few booths that are selling vinyl cut, or printed and contour cut stuff - Ricky & Morty, Hello Kitty, Nike, Puma, Addias, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.). Those booths even go so far as to put up huge signs on their booth telling people they aren't allowed to take pictures of their booth or anything being sold in it - I'm not sure if they're trying to protect all their illegal hard work, or themselves because of all the infringement happening ... probably a little of both. People love branded stuff, especially if they can get a deal on it.

LOL... ha ha yeah im sure there is a ton of that.

Thanks Wildgoose for the post.

I simply use Illustrator from Adobe with my Silhouette cutter. It's super simple once you get used to it.

Here's the video on that: