eprcvinyls

Would you buy a Refrub. titan? from uscutter?

Edit: To much info at once i guess. reading some more the regular Titan uses a Stepper still not a servo so i guess its no better then the SC.. guess I stick to my original plan cause no way i can afford a titan 2.

Okay so i guess some of the regulars are getting to know me, Some might be getting sick of reading my stupid novice posts but Im sorry. anyhow everyone on here and on youtube keeps saying you want a servo motor cutter not a stepper, one guy said so many times that stepper cutters are junk.. Well im new to this all but i would guess they didn't even have servo type 20 years ago and i have known people from 20 yrs ago who did vinyl work so there not total junk they work they do there job... but a few have me worried about noise now from the SC2... so well i was looking again on uscutter and I see they have the 28" Titan ( NOT the titan 2) just the regular Titan cutter that comes with Sure cuts a lot Pro... for $455.00 plus $44.99 shipping. So that would be $500.00 for the Titan and the SCALpro (witch i have the basic demo and love it ) i need to purchase the program anyways so wouldn't this be a pretty good deal?

I am still on the fence about refrub unit. but it does still come with a warranty. Or I think i guess have to contact them to be sure. you can purchase one it shows,. it says 2 years but also that says with the new one... Anyhow i had planed to buy the SC2 from uscutter but on amazon for $399 to save shipping cost i understand its a big box.

Anyways looking for once again input.

Thanks guys

I know you had started another thread post about a cutter inquiry. One of the regulars responded with a basic, "Get the best machine that you can afford." I would have to agree with that.

When I was newbie, the only machine I could afford was a LaserPoint 24", that was almost 11-years ago, and my machine is still going strong. I'm only a hobbyist and my machine has paid for itself more than several times over. The LP has stepper motor, and honestly I whouldn't know the sound/noise difference as it was my first and only still, only cutter I have. Do I wish I scraped up the money to buy something better at that time? - No. I knew nothing about cutters and while I'm in the process of buying my second cutter, I do not regret getting my LP.

Is a servo motor better than a stepper? I would have to say yes, but that is strictly based on what others have said - and they would know better than me, as I don't do this for a living. I suppose it's noisier than a servo, but it's not like you need ear plugs in order to operate it. It sits in my home office with me, and I run it while still watching TV or listen to the stereo. I do have to turn the volume up a little when I'm cutting, but nowhere near max volume. I can't really hear it when I'm in the next room.

Are stepper motors junk ... I guess to those who can afford to completely deck out their equipment with servo only machines, then they would say yes; but as a stepper-only owner, I couldn't be any happier with my LP. I'm getting a Graphtec with a servo because it's a Graphtec, and the servo happens to be on it. I've NEVER had any issues with my LP, with exception to user-error stuff, like having to replace the cutting strip because I wasn't paying attention and allowed the blade to cut off vinyl. That's not the machine's fault, that was mine - and I would have made the same mistake whether it was a stepper or servo.

If I never had a cutter, and had a choice to buy a slightly better one that was refurb'd over a newer, lower model, I would first determine if the manufacturer stands by their warranty, and if the warranty lengths are the same, then go with the refurb'd (unless the features on the higher model are useless to you). 

Don't worry about your questions, the forum will always be here to answer them as best as they can. You've made the leap to buy a cutter, and you're already half-way there!

Good luck!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, haumana said:

I know you had started another thread post about a cutter inquiry. One of the regulars responded with a basic, "Get the best machine that you can afford." I would have to agree with that.

When I was newbie, the only machine I could afford was a LaserPoint 24", that was almost 11-years ago, and my machine is still going strong. I'm only a hobbyist and my machine has paid for itself more than several times over. The LP has stepper motor, and honestly I whouldn't know the sound/noise difference as it was my first and only still, only cutter I have. Do I wish I scraped up the money to buy something better at that time? - No. I knew nothing about cutters and while I'm in the process of buying my second cutter, I do not regret getting my LP.

Is a servo motor better than a stepper? I would have to say yes, but that is strictly based on what others have said - and they would know better than me, as I don't do this for a living. I suppose it's noisier than a servo, but it's not like you need ear plugs in order to operate it. It sits in my home office with me, and I run it while still watching TV or listening to the stereo. I do have to turn the volume up a little when I'm cutting, but nowhere near max volume. I can't really hear it when I'm in the next room.

Are stepper motors junk ... I guess to those who can afford to completely deck out their equipment with servo only machines, then they would say yes; but as a stepper-only owner, I couldn't be any happier with my LP. I'm getting a Graphtec with a servo because it's a Graphtec, and the servo happens to be on it. I've NEVER had any issues with my LP, with exception to user-error stuff, like having to replace the cutting strip because I wasn't paying attention and allowed the blade to off vinyl. That's not the machine's fault, that was mine - and I would have made the same mistake whether it was a stepper or servo.

If I never had a cutter, and had a choice to buy a slightly better one that was refurb'd over a newer, lower model, I would first determine if the manufacturer stands by their warranty, and if the warranty lengths are the same, then go with the refurb'd (unless the features on the higher model are useless to you). 

Don't worry about your questions, the forum will always be here to answer them as best as they can. You've made the leap to buy a cutter, and you're already half-way there!

Good luck!

Thank you for your post, really thank you, I sometimes feel people push others to do what they do, I see it in my other hobbys as well.. I kinda felt like the SC2 should be fine for a while. heck if i really enjoy this hobby and get big into it and make money i can buy better later, and not sure how fast this hobby moves but if its like most of my hobbies im sure something like a titan 2 would be cheaper then it is now in a year or 2.

Thanks again.

only thing I see that mayb wrong is the last statement.  from what ive seen since starting this, is they upgrade the model cutter and the price goes up. like now , they are liquidating the sc and replacing it with the sc2. and the titan 2 is is updated to a se.  just like the Graphtec I just bought. its a ce 5000, now the model offered now is a ce 6000.. now my recommendation of the refurbed sc is only because scalps is $199 and the refurb combo is $269.  that's $69 in the cutter, not a bad investment if u end up upgrading and push it n the corner for a spare, or throw it on the int for sell. that wont hurt as much. I think I have 5 prob 6 bills after shipping in the 1 I'm pushing in the corner. will use break it out for big stuff since the new cutter is a 24".   I def think this new sc 2 is prob a better cutter, after owning 1, I'm not sure how much quieter 1 is. I figure a stepper is a stepper. I could b wrong, just my thoughts. there is a big difference in a servo cutter and that's why I say if you get into this u will prob be like the rest of us, wont b able to stand it until u get 1,

12 hours ago, cardudenc said:

only thing I see that mayb wrong is the last statement.  from what ive seen since starting this, is they upgrade the model cutter and the price goes up. like now , they are liquidating the sc and replacing it with the sc2. and the titan 2 is is updated to a se.  just like the Graphtec I just bought. its a ce 5000, now the model offered now is a ce 6000.. now my recommendation of the refurbed sc is only because scalps is $199 and the refurb combo is $269.  that's $69 in the cutter, not a bad investment if u end up upgrading and push it n the corner for a spare, or throw it on the int for sell. that wont hurt as much. I think I have 5 prob 6 bills after shipping in the 1 I'm pushing in the corner. will use break it out for big stuff since the new cutter is a 24".   I def think this new sc 2 is prob a better cutter, after owning 1, I'm not sure how much quieter 1 is. I figure a stepper is a stepper. I could b wrong, just my thoughts. there is a big difference in a servo cutter and that's why I say if you get into this u will prob be like the rest of us, wont b able to stand it until u get 1,

Yeah, and i don't understand how they can give you SCAL with a refrub lowered price unit like that.. if i got that one it only be because of the software. but i really want the SC2. cause I don't see myself being able to pay off what im buying upfront and saving enough for something like the titan 2 for 2-3 years at least.  there is a CE5000-60 for sale on my local Facebook there asking $600 someone told me i should make him show me it working and buy it. i don't have that much to put into one and it looks to be the BMW of cutters i looked up parts the board is $300 i can't afford prices like that.

from my understanding , the graphtecs don't give much trouble. only ones that really have issues with mother boards is the budget cutters. and I would have the same suggestion for u if u can get a Graphtec for just a lil more than sc or sc2, even tho its used, if it has been taken care of , u shouldn't have any issues with the machine. but there is no warranty with a used 1. so u could be buying a boat anchor. I knew the guy I got my used Graphtec from, so I know how picky he is over his machines.

3 hours ago, cardudenc said:

from my understanding , the graphtecs don't give much trouble. only ones that really have issues with mother boards is the budget cutters. and I would have the same suggestion for u if u can get a Graphtec for just a lil more than sc or sc2, even tho its used, if it has been taken care of , u shouldn't have any issues with the machine. but there is no warranty with a used 1. so u could be buying a boat anchor. I knew the guy I got my used Graphtec from, so I know how picky he is over his machines.

Yeah, like buying a used car you could just be buying someones else's problems i guess. besides motherboard not sure what all can go wrong with a Cutter. belt i guess could brake or the servo go out that drives the cutter. Not sure these things wear out, other then blades witch need replacing normally anyways.. Can someone tell me what the two different blades are for with just regular 631,651,751 wouldn't i use the same blade?

I use a clean cut 60* blade for 631, 651 and HTV. don't change anything for the three. I do have another holder for glitter stuff, but rarely use it or cut glitter.

For those types of vinyl, yeah, the same blade will work on all of them. There are a few topics on the forums regarding the blades and why you'd want one vs the other in different cases. 

3 hours ago, slice&dice said:

HA HA... There isn't anything like advise from helpful people. I read the manual but it doesn't specially say what numbers vinyl for what

3 hours ago, bikemike said:

I use a clean cut 60* blade for 631, 651 and HTV. don't change anything for the three. I do have another holder for glitter stuff, but rarely use it or cut glitter.

Thank you very much for your input. on what you use.

3 hours ago, darcshadow said:

For those types of vinyl, yeah, the same blade will work on all of them. There are a few topics on the forums regarding the blades and why you'd want one vs the other in different cases. 

Alright thanks.

You will see others praise clean cut blades. They cost a bit more than the imports, but from what I have seen so far is they are worth it. Weeding is way better and they last a lot longer. I have not been using them long enough to know about the longevity, but I do believe it.

• Like 1

You will see others praise clean cut blades. They cost a bit more than the imports, but from what I have seen so far is they are worth it. Weeding is way better and they last a lot longer. I have not been using them long enough to know about the longevity, but I do believe it.

Thanks, hadnt heard of them I went to the site, it only shows one blade for uscutter machines so all of theUS cutter machines will use the same blade?

it says on the site " Most of the plotters sold by US Cutter will use the ROLD or ZECU style blades "

I would hate to buy a $18 blade to find out it doesn't fit in a SC2

When you get your cutter you will know what one to get. Most are roland blades.

But maybe play for a bit with the cheap one until you get everything set up. You don't want to break a good blade setting things up.

• Like 1

When you get your cutter you will know what one to get. Most are roland blades.

But maybe play for a bit with the cheap one until you get everything set up. You don't want to break a good blade setting things up.

oh yeah i plan to.. just when need new one. might try those.

3 hours ago, darcshadow said:

The cutter specifications should say. But this link also confirms that the SC uses a Roland style blade,

http://www.uscutter.com/3-Pack-of-Roland-Cemented-Carbide-Blades-60-Degrees

Alright thanks.

Once I changed to a 60 blade, I never looked back. I know it's just the very tip that does all the cutting, but it made a big difference in cutting the smaller stuff. Then I had the fortunate opportunity to get in a small group buy for a 60 Clean Cut blade a while back - still using the same blade (for at least 7+ years). Cuts like a hot knife through butter :P

I have several 45 and 60 back-up blades, but have never had to get to them. It's always good to have spares, even if it's just for testing and/or troubleshooting.

I also have spare pinch rollers and cutting strips <- you'd think that I've learned to be pay attention more to the blade going off vinyl ... clearly I have not learned that lesson; changed it twice so far, and have two more as spares.

I have the graphtec on order, but have already got spare blade holder, 60 blades, and cutting strips in anticipation of the new toy, I mean tool :D  Just a little a/r about the spare parts thing. Hahaha.

• Like 1

I use Corel draw with cutting master. I swear it is impossible to run off the vinyl onto the cutting strip. (with a graphtec)

Unless you load the vinyl crooked. And that is hard to do.

I should have a spare strip, but don't.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bikemike said:

I use Corel draw with cutting master. I swear it is impossible to run off the vinyl onto the cutting strip. (with a graphtec)

Unless you load the vinyl crooked. And that is hard to do.

I should have a spare strip, but don't.

MIke - Never under estimate my ability to not pay attention :P  If the graphtec can minimize or prevent my stupidity, then I should have gotten this machine a loooong time ago! Hahaha.

Corel Draw ... I haven't used that software since it was in version 3 (and now I'm showing my age). I'm hoping to keep on gimping along in Photoshop/Inkscape/Sign Blazer with the graphtec, until I take the time to get to know AI better. Unfortunately, no access to Corel, and I'm hoping not to sink any money into software.

• Like 1

I hear ya. Get into that AI. cutting master is also AI friendly so you can cut right from there.

• Like 1