eprcvinyls

Anyone here use a Hix Hobby Lite Swing Away Heat Press Machine - 9" x 12"

This is the heat press my father has, it took me a few to dig it out of the closet but i found the name on it.. i see now most have Digital LCD displays for the heat that is lot nicer this one only has a dial on it but this is it

https://www.coastalbusiness.com/hix-hobby-lite-swing-away-heat-press-machine-9-x-12-hl-912-s.html

I found a Cheap one on uscutter for like $119 not sure it be any better? this one is still up there in price $300.. But doesn't have the LCD screen

thanks

hix is a decent brand name and lots of people have used used ones for years posting good results - bad thing is 9x12 is way too small for shirts most of the time - but maybe if your target market is onesies 

I do a lot of heat press work. A LOT. Hix is American made and rock solid and it should get you at least started. Like Dakota mentioned the 9"x12" is the bummer part. The reason it's an issue is that you actually use the lower platen (the rubber mat) to align your shirt and thereby your graphic and it's a LOT easier with larger platens. In general I would not spend money on anything less than 15" square unless it was a secondary press for specialty items. That platen size would probably work about right on tote bags for instance. I have a 16" x20" main platen and my "Small" one is 11" x 15" to give you something to compare to. The way to get something done will be to make sure your shirt has a defined crease in the center and then you will want to position it so the small press space falls within the area you are placing the graphic. It will take some practice and you will probably get some crooked due to it being new to you. For HTV many of the good products like Siser can be pressed in a couple cycles if they are larger than the press area. This is not ideal particularly if they are multiple layer but a single layer would work ok. Not fun but ok. My bet is if you find anyone to buy your stuff you can go out a purchase a larger unit after a job or two. Heat presses are similar to cutters. You are best if you can at least stay up off the door buster deals and buy something that costs a little more. If a clam style (which I don't love) be sire to get one that will allow the upper platen to self level with a center point pressure area. 

The good news is if your father owns it you probably don't have to pay for it or at least not up front. My kids never pay me for anything so....ha. 

3 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

hix is a decent brand name and lots of people have used used ones for years posting good results - bad thing is 9x12 is way too small for shirts most of the time - but maybe if your target market is onesies 

Thank you. and well thought i could use it for now, I have a friend wants some lettering on some shirts it should do that just fine. as we have shirts here we have made with it

3 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

I do a lot of heat press work. A LOT. Hix is American made and rock solid and it should get you at least started. Like Dakota mentioned the 9"x12" is the bummer part. The reason it's an issue is that you actually use the lower platen (the rubber mat) to align your shirt and thereby your graphic and it's a LOT easier with larger platens. In general I would not spend money on anything less than 15" square unless it was a secondary press for specialty items. That platen size would probably work about right on tote bags for instance. I have a 16" x20" main platen and my "Small" one is 11" x 15" to give you something to compare to. The way to get something done will be to make sure your shirt has a defined crease in the center and then you will want to position it so the small press space falls within the area you are placing the graphic. It will take some practice and you will probably get some crooked due to it being new to you. For HTV many of the good products like Siser can be pressed in a couple cycles if they are larger than the press area. This is not ideal particularly if they are multiple layer but a single layer would work ok. Not fun but ok. My bet is if you find anyone to buy your stuff you can go out a purchase a larger unit after a job or two. Heat presses are similar to cutters. You are best if you can at least stay up off the door buster deals and buy something that costs a little more. If a clam style (which I don't love) be sire to get one that will allow the upper platen to self level with a center point pressure area. 

The good news is if your father owns it you probably don't have to pay for it or at least not up front. My kids never pay me for anything so....ha. 

Thank you for your input, that is why i asked, alright as normally bigger is better LOL

I guess i will use what i have and if i make any thing from my signs i will buy a bigger one.. yeah well since dads unable to do anything besides eat and sleep since his massive stroke he wont be using it.

7 hours ago, eprcvinyls said:

Thank you for your input, that is why i asked, alright as normally bigger is better LOL

I guess i will use what i have and if i make any thing from my signs i will buy a bigger one.. yeah well since dads unable to do anything besides eat and sleep since his massive stroke he wont be using it.

I would bet you will make more money from shirts than signs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

I would bet you will make more money from shirts than signs. 

Well i didn't mean signs, i ment car logs and decals and such.

I will cut anything anyone wants to go on... Im just not sure about doing shirts. ive never done a Press of a shirt ive done car decals

8 hours ago, eprcvinyls said:

I will cut anything anyone wants to go on... Im just not sure about doing shirts. ive never done a Press of a shirt ive done car decals

Same thing, just mirror the image and press.

With HTV

• Like 1

MIRROR...MIRROR...MIRROR!!

16x20" is the way to go if you are buying a press...most of my shirt fronts/backs are 10+ inches wide.

Not to mention those XX & XXX shirts take a bit larger graphic to look right.

Shirts take a lot of steps....Design, Vectorize Design, Cut MIRRORED Design, Weed, & finally Press.

BUT, shirts are fun!

Sue2

• Like 4

5 hours ago, bikemike said:

Same thing, just mirror the image and press.

With HTV

Yeah. just learning something new, I need watch videos i guess. on how to make sure you get it centered and stuff

4 hours ago, Sue2 said:

MIRROR...MIRROR...MIRROR!!

16x20" is the way to go if you are buying a press...most of my shirt fronts/backs are 10+ inches wide.

Not to mention those XX & XXX shirts take a bit larger graphic to look right.

Shirts take a lot of steps....Design, Vectorize Design, Cut MIRRORED Design, Weed, & finally Press.

BUT, shirts are fun!

Sue2

oh wow.. that is a big machine.. and they cost as much as the cutter lol.. I did see a combo with a Cutter and a 15x15 press.

15x15"  would be sufficient.....

Years ago I lucked into a used Hotronics 16x20" locally.....that spoiled me!

The auto-open presses are tempting!

Sue2

I plan to upgrade to a 16x20 soon. as posted above , u should do well with shirts. I bought htv with my initial cutter purchase and waited around a yr before ordering a press because wanting to upgrade my cutter. I now wish I would've ordered a press with my cutter. or atleast not waited so long. I think I even like working with htv better.

3 hours ago, cardudenc said:

I plan to upgrade to a 16x20 soon. as posted above , u should do well with shirts. I bought htv with my initial cutter purchase and waited around a yr before ordering a press because wanting to upgrade my cutter. I now wish I would've ordered a press with my cutter. or atleast not waited so long. I think I even like working with htv better.

Guess im just nervous on being able to line up whatever it is and getting it straight and in the right spot on the shirt... i don't think this press swings out of the way its got a bolt that moves up and down with the handle. dads had it for at least 10 years so its a older one.

1 minute ago, eprcvinyls said:

Guess im just nervous on being able to line up whatever it is and getting it straight and in the right spot on the shirt... i don't think this press swings out of the way its got a bolt that moves up and down with the handle. dads had it for at least 10 years so its a older one.

http://www.uscutter.com/Tee-Square-It-Transfer-Alignment-Tool

I have used mine since Lou came up with that years ago - still use it every time.  he has improved it about 3 times since mine was made

2 minutes ago, eprcvinyls said:

Myself, I use my fingers. 4 fingers down on the front (from the bottom of the collar), equal side to side from the sleeve. Eyeball it for alignment.

I have a 16 X 20 so that may be a bit easier. never had a problem or complaint.

• Like 1

its not as hard as u think. I eyeball most of mine. if I know its a very picky cust, I lay my square up there. I plan to buy the 1 he posted a link of. I'm hoping to upgrade to the 16x20 fusion and 1 of there lasers for lining everything up

On 2/2/2018 at 8:31 PM, eprcvinyls said:

Well i didn't mean signs, i ment car logs and decals and such.

I started out thinking the same thing and fortunately my wife talked me into a heat press along with all the other stuff.

Think about it this way. How many people want or need a lettering job on their truck or perhaps a rear window decal (although the decals are a very competitive market). Now compare that need or want to how many people need or want a t-shirt. Boooyaahhh! Serious revenue stream with there. There is less risk really. If you screw up you quietly hide the shirt so no one ever knows and build another and your out $5 and gained some experience. Pit that against the car owner watching over your shoulder as you mis-align your two color graphic and have to apologize and run back to the shop and cut another one. Probably about the same $5 worth of product and more time if you are doing an site install. You can position and check and reposition 100 times until you like the placement with a tee whereas the vinyl not so much. I'm not downplaying the viability of decals and vehicle graphics but don't let fear of the unknown scare you away from the potential. 

Thanks guys for the input,ideas, and all. im just ready to get my Cutter. Looks like i have to wait a extra week or so as there saying now taxes be held off coming back till 24th of the month at least.

On 2/3/2018 at 6:54 AM, eprcvinyls said:

oh wow.. that is a big machine.. and they cost as much as the cutter lol.. I did see a combo with a Cutter and a 15x15 press.

My heatpress i got was a hotronix fusion 16x20 2100.00 plus accessory platens was about 2800 total.

5 minutes ago, Primal Decals said:

My heatpress i got was a hotronix fusion 16x20 2100.00 plus accessory platens was about 2800 total.

has it already paid for itself - what time span??

1 minute ago, Dakotagrafx said:

has it already paid for itself - what time span??

Not yet, I  i got in Feb 2017  but hadn't used it maybe for a month or so i think  ,At the time i was still real busy with my photography and decals. But ive done probably 40 pressings on it and probably about $1500 so far. And thats after costs were paid for material used etc.

• Like 1