Guest Vicky

I am LOST!!

Guest Vicky

Hello. So I am new to all this. Recently purchased SC2 vinyl cutter and have the Sure cuts A Lot pro 3. However I am lost. I take I won't know everything right away but I am hoping I can get a little bit of help as how to get started. I figured out how to send the image to my cutter for cutting. The only thing I am having trouble with is the actual vinyl being cut. The depth of the blade is not low enough to cut through vinyl. I have been going crazy trying to figure it out. I also notice that my software doesn't have an actual menu bar, I only see the one for my computer. Not sure if thats the same thing. I am using a Mac desktop if that helps. Please any information is greatly appreciated!!! Thank you.

our member that likes scalp should be around shortly on the software questions - for the blade question I copied this from the instructional contributions section of the forum.   many things like this can be found using the search box in the upper right of the forum screen.

From Mz. skeeter and the method used most for accurate blade depth

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

Vicky you are seeing the norm on the cutter. Most, especially the value cutters, do not have much information on the cutter itself other than usually the speed and pressure and the X/Y location. Most of your control will come about at the software end where you send the design to the cutter. 

I suggest starting out with a dimple design like a small square. In fact many start out with a pen attachment if your cutter came with one and draw lines on paper to avoid wasting vinyl until you know how to send files and have the cutter actually working. The general order of operations for a new cutter would be in somewhat the following order:

#1 - Establish connections

#2 - Set blade depth BY HAND as noted by Mz Skeeter (this is the most important part of all)

#3 - Set the pressure fairly low so you don't cut through the vinyl and break a tip or cut into your cutting strip I would start no higher than 50g 

#4 - Set the speed at about 25-30% of overall capability. If you machine goes up to 400mm/sec try 100.

Start cutting a test shape usually a square. Check if it cut through and add a small amount of pressure and do it again consecutively until it finally cuts through. Generallt you don't want to go too far past the point of penetration or you will start cutting into the carrier and it will actually push the edges of the vinyl down into the cut and cause some of the waxy paper to come up with your cut product. Watch the corners of the square and adjust the blade offset until they are crisp without rounded edges or tails. This is probably adjusted in the cutting software although if it can be set at the machine I would do it there, some do some don't. Finally if as you cut you find that the start and end points of the cut do not touch you might need to add some Overcut but it should not take much. Usually about the same number as your blade offset. 

Good luck and don't get frustrated. Once you get some time under your belt you'll be a pro and might even find yourself hanging out here on the forum helping other new folks. 

You should have a menu across the top in scalps..This is Scalps4pro screen shot.  I also checked my older scalps3pro and it has the menu tabs..You may have to go to here http://www.craftedge.com/download/download.html .

And re download your version in the older version section part way down.  Try downloading the new demo version 4pro and see if the menu tab show up for you. You may have a bug .. The 4pro version works much better than 3 as well..

test.thumb.png.128f7cdb7619029ae7c6daae54908b82.png