eprcvinyls

How do you like your SC or SC2 machine? any issues? or other

5 hours ago, slice&dice said:

For your information, VinylMaster CUT (basic) does not have Text Follow Arc.

Alright thanks Do you know witch all programs do?

10 hours ago, Primal Decals said:

@eprcvinyls inkscape is just another design style software. Vm and or scalps is for cutting and doing some designing . I have my preference of using Ai for 98% of designing in and 2 % in scalps for designing and then cutting  .Cause i feel it was the easiest to learn and do what i do daily .

To be clear, Inkscape can be used for cutting, but it was not designed for cutting. I started out using signblazer for everything but it just wasn't up to the task of some of the things I wanted in terms of design. Inkscape was free and can do some very complex operations so I started playing around with it for the design, then save it off and import it into signblazer. The down side of signblazer is that it does not have an over cut option and with the MH cutter, you need an over cut option. Turns out, Inkscape has a basic cut ability, and it has an over cut option so I switch to using Inkscape for design and cutting and for me, it has worked great.

3 hours ago, darcshadow said:

To be clear, Inkscape can be used for cutting, but it was not designed for cutting. I started out using signblazer for everything but it just wasn't up to the task of some of the things I wanted in terms of design. Inkscape was free and can do some very complex operations so I started playing around with it for the design, then save it off and import it into signblazer. The down side of signblazer is that it does not have an over cut option and with the MH cutter, you need an over cut option. Turns out, Inkscape has a basic cut ability, and it has an over cut option so I switch to using Inkscape for design and cutting and for me, it has worked great.

Thank you for the info, I like the sure cuts a lot program so far, but found out it wont do one thing i really want to do, I thought about it and i might be able to do kinda what i wanted by grabbing and turning the words but it still won't be 100% of what i was trying.. I downloaded the Vinylmaster last night but didn't play with it i will today to see if i like it since it comes with the cutter.

Would anyone be willing to tell me what some popular fonts are of today, I used to know a few i would have put on my cars but its been over 10 yrs.

Also what is this anti static kit that they sell with the cutters? is that something we need.

Most if not all of the value cutters have static issues. When the vinyl moves back and forth during the cut process it creates static electricity and the cheaper machines are not designed specifically to handle this and it can trigger malfunctions during the cut.  I can't way in on the kit to tell you whether it is helpful or not but when I had my values cutter I used the spray can style anti-static cling spray that women use on their dresses and hosed down the area particularly behind the cutter and it totally eliminated the problems.

On the LaserPoint II the static kit is a conductive cord (imagine string with fine copper wire woven into it) and two magnets.  You tie the string to each magnet, hang a magnet on a back corner, drape the string across the vinyl and place the other magnet on the opposite back corner.  The static is picked up by the string and dissipated to the cutter's frame.  Any time vinyl is moving back and forth it's going to generate static electricity, just like rubbing a balloon on your head as a kid.  If the humidity is low it's even worse.

One day my cord got hung up on a pinch roller lever and wasn't dissipating the static.  I cut for about an hour.  The static buildup attracted every piece of lint, pet hair and dust in a 10 mile radius. As the pinch rollers ran over the dust it smashed them into the vinyl.  I learned all about static by wasting a lot of vinyl.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

Most if not all of the value cutters have static issues. When the vinyl moves back and forth during the cut process it creates static electricity and the cheaper machines are not designed specifically to handle this and it can trigger malfunctions during the cut.  I can't way in on the kit to tell you whether it is helpful or not but when I had my values cutter I used the spray can style anti-static cling spray that women use on their dresses and hosed down the area particularly behind the cutter and it totally eliminated the problems.

9 hours ago, ShaneGreen said:

On the LaserPoint II the static kit is a conductive cord (imagine string with fine copper wire woven into it) and two magnets.  You tie the string to each magnet, hang a magnet on a back corner, drape the string across the vinyl and place the other magnet on the opposite back corner.  The static is picked up by the string and dissipated to the cutter's frame.  Any time vinyl is moving back and forth it's going to generate static electricity, just like rubbing a balloon on your head as a kid.  If the humidity is low it's even worse.

One day my cord got hung up on a pinch roller lever and wasn't dissipating the static.  I cut for about an hour.  The static buildup attracted every piece of lint, pet hair and dust in a 10 mile radius. As the pinch rollers ran over the dust it smashed them into the vinyl.  I learned all about static by wasting a lot of vinyl.

Oh alright,thanks for the info I found the cutter on Amazon for free shipping i see on uscutter website they have a  Vinyl Cutter Grounding Cable is that what i need? or is that something else.

Thanks

1 minute ago, eprcvinyls said:

Oh alright,thanks for the info I found the cutter on Amazon for free shipping i see on uscutter website they have a  Vinyl Cutter Grounding Cable is that what i need? or is that something else.

Thanks

I have not seen near the errors with the sc/sc2 for static - I would try it first without the extra string thingie

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

I have not seen near the errors with the sc/sc2 for static - I would try it first without the extra string thingie

Oh alright, thanks for the info just wanting make sure what I need.

6 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

I was curious if the static was fixed in that cutter like the other lower end ones, I was just talking to someone else about it cause it was acting crazy ( like a static issue would cause) when they tried cutting some things..

4 minutes ago, Primal Decals said:

I was curious if the static was fixed in that cutter like the other lower end ones, I was just talking to someone else about it cause it was acting crazy ( like a static issue would cause) when they tried cutting some things..

the MH has been the worse - the stand is insulated from the cutter by rubber feet - the static builds in the vinyl until it discharges thru the carriage causing the problems - until the ground wire is installed from the stand to the cutter that comes in the package that so many new people feel in unnecessary until they have to replace a mainboard

Ya i knew the mh was a lighting storm creator lol    .......I know on my titan 2 i dont have the static issue, but i think mine has the rubber feet under it as well .I will have to look when i get home..

6 minutes ago, Primal Decals said:

Ya i knew the mh was a lighting storm creator lol    .......I know on my titan 2 i dont have the static issue, but i think mine has the rubber feet under it as well .I will have to look when i get home..

haven't heard of any problems with the titan - it must have a path for the static to dissipate somewhere - on the graphtec the metal bottom of the cutter contacts the metal stand and the stainless rollers sit on metal bearings -

is it better to have them sitting on something, like a rubber mat or one of those clear pad things for your office chair? mine would be sitting on carpet

so if you get static the main board dies? I wouldn't want to be replacing those i see there $80

mine sits on carpet all the time - the carpet isn't where the static is generated or stored on a stationary device (unlike shuffling your feet) it is the roll of vinyl moving where it is generated.    maybe someone with a sc will chime in on the static issue but I personally don't remember anyone having trouble like all the ones we do with the MH

3 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

mine sits on carpet all the time - the carpet isn't where the static is generated or stored on a stationary device (unlike shuffling your feet) it is the roll of vinyl moving where it is generated.    maybe someone with a sc will chime in on the static issue but I personally don't remember anyone having trouble like all the ones we do with the MH

Oh alright, didn't know.

10 hours ago, Primal Decals said:

@cardudenc info? or is yours the mh. I cant remember

He sent me a message yesterday said he used to have the 54" SC now hes upgraded to something else.

I'm currently still using the sc model. I just purchased a Graphtec. I just haven't had time to move things around and start trying to figure out how to use the graphtec @Primal Decals we were discussing the way the cutter is mounted to the stand just yest. I believe I was having issues with static last winter. I always had a ground wire ran from the grounding lug under the cutter to the stand. my cutter has rubber feet, and the stand has slotted holes . when I mounted mine I rem I had to loosen the screws to mount it. after thinking I was having static issues I ordered the anti static kit and put big washers in between the rubber feet and stand hoping to add more area for contact . another thing that prob added to the static was I was using 50yd rolls.

forgot to add, if your looking at the cutter weve been discussing . I saw U S is selling the stands marked dn to $20 now. they were 69. been some creative people post up pics of wooden stands they have built. should be able to find them using the search

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, cardudenc said:

I'm currently still using the sc model. I just purchased a Graphtec. I just haven't had time to move things around and start trying to figure out how to use the graphtec 

Great purchase cardude you are going to have a great time with the upgrade. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cardudenc said:

I'm currently still using the sc model. I just purchased a Graphtec. I just haven't had time to move things around and start trying to figure out how to use the graphtec @Primal Decals we were discussing the way the cutter is mounted to the stand just yest. I believe I was having issues with static last winter. I always had a ground wire ran from the grounding lug under the cutter to the stand. my cutter has rubber feet, and the stand has slotted holes . when I mounted mine I rem I had to loosen the screws to mount it. after thinking I was having static issues I ordered the anti static kit and put big washers in between the rubber feet and stand hoping to add more area for contact . another thing that prob added to the static was I was using 50yd rolls.

forgot to add, if your looking at the cutter weve been discussing . I saw U S is selling the stands marked dn to $20 now. they were 69. been some creative people post up pics of wooden stands they have built. should be able to find them using the search

yeah, I seen that but they were out of stock still not sure if i want to buy refrub older SC one or the new SC2 one.

so after doing what you are right now and  joining on here. that was the day my cutter came in damaged, found the forum and was hoping to get answers to get it cutting.  now after owning 1 of the budget machines and upgrading. my opinion is buy the cheaper of those 2, the sc. because if your going to stick with this, which I'm sure u will .you will want a servo motor cutter asap. I tell people this hobby/ business is more addictive than drugs, but ive never been n to drugs, I like my $ and making $ too well. this is also a salesman from U S explained it to me when I called in asking about cutters . I did a lil research, but not on here. and had somewhat decided I wanted the LP 2. but  he suggested the mh or sc over the lp 2 for that reason. u have less $ in the machine u will be wanting to upgrade eventually. now I'm sure u could sell a used machine on CL fairly easy, but what will it bring. so u will still b losing $ and in the long run, take u longer to upgrade. 

3 hours ago, cardudenc said:

so after doing what you are right now and  joining on here. that was the day my cutter came in damaged, found the forum and was hoping to get answers to get it cutting.  now after owning 1 of the budget machines and upgrading. my opinion is buy the cheaper of those 2, the sc. because if your going to stick with this, which I'm sure u will .you will want a servo motor cutter asap. I tell people this hobby/ business is more addictive than drugs, but ive never been n to drugs, I like my $ and making $ too well. this is also a salesman from U S explained it to me when I called in asking about cutters . I did a lil research, but not on here. and had somewhat decided I wanted the LP 2. but  he suggested the mh or sc over the lp 2 for that reason. u have less $ in the machine u will be wanting to upgrade eventually. now I'm sure u could sell a used machine on CL fairly easy, but what will it bring. so u will still b losing $ and in the long run, take u longer to upgrade. 

Yeah, well seems like every hobby your in there is always a upgrade that can be made. everyone says the Servo cutters are less loud they would maybe be a big factor for me. as i plan to have it in my hobbyroom/bedroom and while its cutting watching tv might be a issue. but there is another bedroom i could roll it into if that becomes a issue. just wanted the cutter and my work table and all to be in the same room.

well I can tell u how LOUD an SC model I while cutting. I was making the back office at the shop my room to do all my vinyl in, because  being here most of the time by myself , I moved the cutter up ft and fixed an area to do everything up there . even turned 1 of this display cabinets into a dual purpose jewelry display and lighted table. lol I still have most of my vinyl stuff in that room, but glad I'm not using the cutter back there anymore. was on the phone with @Primal Decals 1 night while using it back there, he asked what was making all that noise. the Graphtec I just bought is night and day different in noise.