eprcvinyls

How do you like your SC or SC2 machine? any issues? or other

Recommended Posts

Hi there,  looking into getting my first Vinyl cutting machine was considering a Silhouette cameo 3 cause it will do small jobs and plan to do lots of smaller in size logos stickers for smaller items and cars but i might want to do some larger decals for automobiles also.. Others have told me to get a real named brand machine so was looking at the us cutter MH series but many said there bottom of the line and ok if your just doing a few things sometimes it seems like everyone agrees the Titan series are the beast but i don't have $1000 to drop into a machine.. I really wanted to keep it all under $500 for a machine and material and everything to get going.. I have been playing with the Software for the Cameo 3 since its totally free to download then a guy suggested "Sure cuts a lot" so i download it last night and started messing with it. I know to use the real full basic version you have to pay the $59 to use it.. not sure the basic of it would work well enough or not? ir if a more higher up is really needed.. I just like to be able to know if i can use the software or not...

So anyways now I am looking at the uscutter SC2 cutters. it looks like i can get one for $399.99 + $45 for shipping.. i would be under my $500 but still need to buy vinyl. have to decide on what machine cause will affect what size vinyl to buy I know i can still cut 12" vinyl on the Larger 28" machine. I would hope i can even cut small pieces with it say 12x12 squares with the larger machine?

 

honestly i want to do lots of smaller logos,names. I fly RC planes and i like to put Pilot:Chris and my Numbers and such...

I like to be able to make stickers and logos to go on my truck and whatever i like.

At Christmas time i would be cutting lots of signs I have a decent size Christmas display every yr it gets bigger and like to make signs for it..

i can say I would honesty love to turn it into a business at least apart time small one at least for a little income but not sure how well i could in my area, I even thought about doing some custom car tags. I'm sure most would say bigger stuff or T shirts is where the money is but I would also like to do T shirts for myself and my family or close friends... i guess if it did turn into something bigger i would then be glad to have the 28" machine and could/would beable to do bigger Vehicle decals and logos and such..

 

Just like to heard from folks who own the SC or SC2 and if you had any or many issues, if you wish you had went another way or any input.

 

Thank you.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You gotta get that SC2 for sure, 24", and add the optional media basket when ordering ($30).

Hopefully you have enough space in your house for this! Your wife will not be thrilled if you take over the dining room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, slice&dice said:

You gotta get that SC2 for sure, 24", and add the optional media basket when ordering ($30).

Hopefully you have enough space in your house for this! Your wife will not be thrilled if you take over the dining room.

Hey there, thanks for the reply so they call it a 28" but so does it really only cut 24" ? 

So this would be a machine that would last longer and easier to work over the MH series

It will be going in a bedroom for now. Hope to get a building later if i end up doing lots of work or maybe get the garage cleaned out to put everything in it.

 

Thanks

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You probably don't want to store you vinyl in the garage. Vinyl has a pretty narrow temperature range for storage. I think something like 65-75. You'd have to check the MSDS sheet for the vinyl you have.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, darcshadow said:

You probably don't want to store you vinyl in the garage. Vinyl has a pretty narrow temperature range for storage. I think something like 65-75. You'd have to check the MSDS sheet for the vinyl you have.

Oh, Alright thanks for the tip... Im new tot his don't know everything, heck i barley know anything yet ha ha...

A guy i used to know did some work for me did his out of the basement.. guess it was heated.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, eprcvinyls said:

Hey there, thanks for the reply so they call it a 28" but so does it really only cut 24" ? 

So this would be a machine that would last longer and easier to work over the MH series

It will be going in a bedroom for now. Hope to get a building later if i end up doing lots of work or maybe get the garage cleaned out to put everything in it.

Thanks

 

Yeah, you'll be using 24" size vinyl rolls (next smaller standard size is 15" rolls) -- and yes, you can put ANY scraps in there, no problem.  This machine is the best value that USCUTTER currently offers in their lower-end units. It will make you a lot of money, once people know you have a cutter all kinds of orders will flow in.

If I were you, I'd also invest in an AppTape roller: http://www.uscutter.com/Application-Tape-Roller-Package

The thing about that is you'll need to clamp it to the edge of a table.  And keep in mind that the Free 30 feet is nothing! *and it's just 12" tape they provide, so grab a full roll of 24"

This hobby is gonna drain your bank account at first, but it quickly pays back.

We haven't even talked about a heat press, and HTV !!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, slice&dice said:

Yeah, you'll be using 24" size vinyl rolls (next smaller standard size is 15" rolls) -- and yes, you can put ANY scraps in there, no problem.  This machine is the best value that USCUTTER currently offers in their lower-end units. It will make you a lot of money, once people know you have a cutter all kinds of orders will flow in.

If I were you, I'd also invest in an AppTape roller: http://www.uscutter.com/Application-Tape-Roller-Package

The thing about that is you'll need to clamp it to the edge of a table.  And keep in mind that the Free 30 feet is nothing! *and it's just 12" tape they provide, so grab a full roll of 24"

This hobby is gonna drain your bank account at first, but it quickly pays back.

We haven't even talked about a heat press, and HTV !!!

 

Thank you for your reply, I will look at the tape roller. I will mostly be doing smaller things at first. I really cant think of anything bigger then a 24"X12" logo i would want to make off the top of my head. with the 12" cutter i was thinking about i would had just done it in half (2 sections)

Anyhow well we have a Heat press. im sure its not what most of you would recommend its older. Not really sure how old. My dad used to make t shirts just from his Printer he had.

I mostly want to do sign stuff. but would like to fool with T shirts for myself and family at least.I know this is a T shirt site but someone recommended this site to me over another one i was on. this site seems much better/nicer.

 

Well i will be using my tax income money to buy my stuff, witch isn't a lot that is why i was trying to stay as cheap as i could.

Thanks again

Chris

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chris, since you already have a heat press, that will work, even if it's older, so long as it heats up.

When you cut HTV (heat transfer vinyl) just remember to MIRROR the cut. (there's a checkbox in the cutting manager software for that)

 

If you want to have some fun this weekend, download and install SignBlazer and fool around with it (and open the DRAW menu/Library to get an idea of what you can do with clip art to make many interesting decals for kids and relatives)

http://www.uscuttersupport.com/downloads/Software/SignBlazer/signblazer_setup.exe

 (turn off your antivirus, because your antivirus will not like the file, but it's really OK, there's a 'code' in it that lets you run the trial version forever)

Here is the media basket that's available (keeps longer pieces from touching the floor) ---  http://www.uscutter.com/Catch-Basket-for-LaserPoint-II-Vinyl-Cutters

I know you keep saying you'll only be doing small stuff, but trust me, you will never regret having this size machine !

(I couldn't operate making signs without a 30" wide cutter, but I do big banners, 4'x8' signs, etc.) Think of it this way, even if you want to make a small Yard Stake Sign which is 18" x 24" you'll need a 24" wide material.

ss3-small.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@eprcvinyls ive done 4x8 signs and 40 in wide designs on Toy hauler trailers  with my 24" cutter all the time . You just have to know how to split things apart and put them back together..Once you learn it, you will be amazed on the size of things you can get away with.. Heres one sample 4x8 double sided, exactly what the customer wanted.

5a72889039f02_Allstylezfinal.thumb.jpg.febc63fa3a2f8ebe256525bbe64a85f1.jpg

Mike Carys Sign.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The funny thing about a 34" cutter is the actual usable cut width is really only around 28" or 28.5" (on 30" vinyl) and that is not a whole heck of a lot bigger than the usable 23" width on a 24" roll of vinyl.

I mean, c'mon, what's 5" really matter in the grand scheme of things?!!  So, yeah, Primal, you are 100% correct, regarding breaking things up.

 

(By the way, that choice of Magneto font was excellent for Cary's shop!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

The funny thing about a 34" cutter is the actual usable cut width is really only around 28" or 28.5" (on 30" vinyl) and that is not a whole heck of a lot bigger than the usable 23" width on a 24" roll of vinyl.

I mean, c'mon, what's 5" really matter in the grand scheme of things?!!  So, yeah, Primal, you are 100% correct, regarding breaking things up.

 

(By the way, that choice of Magneto font was excellent for Cary's shop!)

Thanks Bud..   That job on that sign landed me another job for doing doing decals on a mini sprint race car last year that raced at daytona raceway that was featured live on tv. The driver contacted me and said to have the tv on a certain channel ,Me not knowing why ., Changed the channel and there was my work on a car on tv going around the track. It was the best feeling ever .The car took 4th overall and they did an interview of the driver next to car for a close up ..freakin awesome lol.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am with you 100% on the great feelings of seeing work we do out there.

Chris will be be at that point soon enough, I'm sure. He sounds like a go-getter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, slice&dice said:

Chris, since you already have a heat press, that will work, even if it's older, so long as it heats up.

When you cut HTV (heat transfer vinyl) just remember to MIRROR the cut. (there's a checkbox in the cutting manager software for that)

 

If you want to have some fun this weekend, download and install SignBlazer and fool around with it (and open the DRAW menu/Library to get an idea of what you can do with clip art to make many interesting decals for kids and relatives)

http://www.uscuttersupport.com/downloads/Software/SignBlazer/signblazer_setup.exe

 (turn off your antivirus, because your antivirus will not like the file, but it's really OK, there's a 'code' in it that lets you run the trial version forever)

Here is the media basket that's available (keeps longer pieces from touching the floor) ---  http://www.uscutter.com/Catch-Basket-for-LaserPoint-II-Vinyl-Cutters

I know you keep saying you'll only be doing small stuff, but trust me, you will never regret having this size machine !

(I couldn't operate making signs without a 30" wide cutter, but I do big banners, 4'x8' signs, etc.) Think of it this way, even if you want to make a small Yard Stake Sign which is 18" x 24" you'll need a 24" wide material.

ss3-small.png

Oh alright thanks. Right now i'm still playing with the Sure cuts a lot. I downloaded the inksscrape but maybe i was thinking wrong does it not actually do the cutting? is it just a Editing program? There are a TON of lil icons on it.. not saying i wouldn't learn it if i messed with it but i think i need to find one software and stick with it.. I really hope to be ordering a machine around the 15th of the month.. I like to know more about the program im going to use. I feel like its November again, I was trying to learn as much about a software back then for doing Christmas Animation... I really had limited time to get it set up and going lol.. This is something ive wanted for many years. guess a lil more time learning a program doesn't hurt anything. its not like i any projects i have to get done right now.

primal decals: Those signs look awesome.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, slice&dice said:

I am with you 100% on the great feelings of seeing work we do out there.

Chris will be be at that point soon enough, I'm sure. He sounds like a go-getter.

definitely.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Primal Decals said:

Thanks Bud..   That job on that sign landed me another job for doing doing decals on a mini sprint race car last year that raced at daytona raceway that was featured live on tv. The driver contacted me and said to have the tv on a certain channel ,Me not knowing why ., Changed the channel and there was my work on a car on tv going around the track. It was the best feeling ever .The car took 4th overall and they did an interview of the driver next to car for a close up ..freakin awesome lol.

 

That is really really awesome..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@eprcvinyls inkscape is just another design style software. Vm and or scalps is for cutting and doing some designing . I have my preference of using Ai for 98% of designing in and 2 % in scalps for designing and then cutting  .Cause i feel it was the easiest to learn and do what i do daily .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Primal Decals said:

@eprcvinyls inkscape is just another design style softeware. Vm and or scalps is for cutting and doing some designing . I have my preference of using Ai for 98% of designing in and 2 % in scalps for designing and then cutting  .Cause i feel it was the easiest to learn and do what i do daily .

Oh alright thanks. I think i would just want to use one program for design and for cutting.. I might have a need for more later. but right now everything should be pretty easy i want to do.

I was trying to figure out how to make a line of words curve up to match the Oval i was trying to put it in... I will watch some more videos.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, eprcvinyls said:

That is really really awesome..

 

I never thought i was going to be doing more than what you think your going to or want to do lol... If you do good work , you will do more and bigger things within your limits. I have no regrets for getting the 24" size of cutter i have. I have been more than happy with it .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, eprcvinyls said:

Oh alright thanks. I think i would just want to use one program for design and for cutting.. I might have a need for more later. but right now everything should be pretty easy i want to do.

I was trying to figure out how to make a line of words curve up to match the Oval i was trying to put it in... I will watch some more videos.

 

for me its Ai and scalps. Its not hard or difficult to use 2 different ones. With any software one will not always do everything you need or how you like,,,  ..  It really flows when you get a combo that makes things easier for you , And i have mine . Many use Vm and many use scalps.   Its a preference...and your choice.   I can make things much faster in Ai than i can scalps lol..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a Demo version available for VinylMaster, that doesn't allow saving or cutting. http://iifuture.com/vmdemo/Ord_FreeTrial_VM_01_USC.html

VinylMaster is USCUTTER's industry-standard design/Cut program, and honestly, it's quite brilliant for the average newbie that buys a cutter and wants to get up and running quickly with minimum learning curve, but also has advanced features that they can grow into (and even nice Upgraded versions like LTR and PRO and DSR at reasonable cost).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, eprcvinyls said:

Oh alright thanks. I think i would just want to use one program for design and for cutting.. I might have a need for more later. but right now everything should be pretty easy i want to do.

I was trying to figure out how to make a line of words curve up to match the Oval i was trying to put it in... I will watch some more videos.

You mean like THIS ? ---

 

oval.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No i want the words small at the bottom.. I know one program you was able to do like a Arch. going from Hi in center and going down on both ends I would need the left and right to be higher going on the edge of the oval.. I hope that makes since.

 

ovaledited.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, that's called Text Follow Arc  (not arched/distorted, like I did above).

Get SignBlazer installed, and the feature you want is within the Manipulate menu -- Distortion functions.

I hate to get you involved with SignBlazer since it's kinda an obsolete and unspported program, but for this specific thing, it does it fast and easy, and you can then EXPORT the result as .eps and bring it along to VinylMaster later on for actual cutting (although SBE works with the SC2 cutter just fine --  I believe it is a LiYu brand model in Cutter Setup)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, slice&dice said:

Yeah, that's called Text Follow Arc  (not arched/distorted, like I did above).

Get SignBlazer installed, and the feature you want is within the Manipulate menu -- Distortion functions.

I hate to get you involved with SignBlazer since it's kinda an obsolete and unspported program, but for this specific thing, it does it fast and easy, and you can then EXPORT the result as .eps and bring it along to VinylMaster later on for actual cutting (although SBE works with the SC2 cutter just fine --  I believe it is a LiYu brand model in Cutter Setup)

Oh alright thanks. I am Downloading the Vinylmmaster demo now its bed time i will play with them more tomorrow.

Thanks again everyone.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now