eprcvinyls

Is the MH machines worth it?

Hello everyone, i am brand new to the site and to Vinyl cutters, I havn't purchased one yet but plan to in about 2 weeks ( waiting on income tax)

I have watched a ton of videos and originally was going to buy a Circuit at Christmas but decided to keep looking. I have pretty much decided to buy a Silhouette Camor 3 ive downloaded software and been playing around making things with it. just using the basic version it wont read SVG files just basic ones.

It will do 12 inches wide up to 10 foot long. i really can't see doing anything bigger then that unless i got big into doing decals for automobiles.

I mostly want to do smaller Stickers for cars and be able to make signs for myself for Christmas and Halloween and such.. I really don't know if i could turn it into a real business or not it seems online there a ton of folks into this stuff but yet locally im not aware of many at all.. One reason i don't have signs made at shops is cause there are far apart where i live and I always fall over when i get a quote. years ago i could get a banner on my front Windshield for $25 installed now it seems more anyhow I plan to do make personal items for gifts my wife would most likely enjoy doing craft projects is another reason for the machine ive been looking at.. but everyone keeps saying to get at least a 24" machine but ive heard the MH from uscutter is the bottom line machine and not that great to get a Titan 2 well i cant afford to spend that much right now. I would like to keep it under $400 for everything machine,vinyl to get started maybe some material for making some t shirts for myself and the family. again I don't really plan to do anything huge.. And i figure if i ever did start making lot of stuff for saleing to others i could always let the wife have this one for crafts and small projects and i could buy a bigger one for bigger things.  i see the SC series there a little more. but are they worth the extra money i know all of uscutter come with vinylmaster not sure how easy or hard it is to learn, i downloaded the basic of sure cuts a lot last night ans so far it seems pretty good its $50 to buy the license to use it. it is workable with these machines?

ive posted on another site and wanted to post here and see what advice people here had..

thank you

I see there isnt much talk in the MH section so guessing there really arn't many who own them.. 

I have a MH and while it is the bottom of the barrel, it works quite well for me. I too just do like things here and there not a real business. The majority of what I do could probably be done on a 12" machine, but it's really nice to have the option of running something bigger when needed. It is also easier/less hassle buying vinyl for a 24" machine. 24" rolls of vinyl are pretty standard.

The MH does take some learning and tweaking to get to cut small detail well so if you're planning on doing small stuff with lots of detail the MH is not a good choice.

• Like 1

personally if I was just starting out I would go with the new sc2 - more memory and has proven to be a lot less problematic for people starting out - you can get either to produce work but cutting corners on the "Heart" of your cutting operation seldom makes sense 6 months down the road.   I had  a 50" MH (Went back to a 24" shortly after)  and made money with it but like darcshadow says a lot more fiddling and adjusting to get a decent product than higher end machines   just my 2c

3 hours ago, darcshadow said:

I have a MH and while it is the bottom of the barrel, it works quite well for me. I too just do like things here and there not a real business. The majority of what I do could probably be done on a 12" machine, but it's really nice to have the option of running something bigger when needed. It is also easier/less hassle buying vinyl for a 24" machine. 24" rolls of vinyl are pretty standard.

The MH does take some learning and tweaking to get to cut small detail well so if you're planning on doing small stuff with lots of detail the MH is not a good choice.

Thank you for the input.. Does the MH have the ability to cut smaller sheets of vinyl one thing i am worried about is not being able to use scrape sheets i would have left. the Silhouette will cut down to like a 4x4 inch sheet. you can pretty much pick any size you want by telling it where in the 12x12 you need it to cut..

how long have you had yours?  i wonder if the SC model is any better on not as hard to learn? I sure can't find many youtube videos on the MH machine mostly just the company's videos.

Where do you guys buy your vinyl and what do you mostly use. I would want Oracal 651 at least for outside but heard the 751 and 951 are even better.

Thank so much

3 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

personally if I was just starting out I would go with the new sc2 - more memory and has proven to be a lot less problematic for people starting out - you can get either to produce work but cutting corners on the "Heart" of your cutting operation seldom makes sense 6 months down the road.   I had  a 50" MH (Went back to a 24" shortly after)  and made money with it but like darcshadow says a lot more fiddling and adjusting to get a decent product than higher end machines   just my 2c

Guess you posted while i was typing, oh alright so the SC is a better machine over the MH? I guess i should post in the SC section.

Yeah, the MH can cut just about any scrap size. The pinch rollers can be moved easily to hold quite small pieces.

I've had mine for about 6 years. From what I've read on here the SC model is a step up from the MH, and it is what most on here recommend as an entry level machine.

I get my vinyl from USCutter. I started with the sample pack of Greenstar but buy oracal anytime I need more. I use 651 for most everything I do and have not had any issues with it. But if you're doing larger decals for outside use 751 or 951 are quite a bit better, in terms of lifespan. It is also easier to work with and conforms to curves easier than 651.

• Like 1

just one note - the MH sold 6 years ago is preferable to the new ones.  they have had about 3 changes over the years.  +1 on the oracal

just one note - the MH sold 6 years ago is preferable to the new ones.  they have had about 3 changes over the years.  +1 on the oracal

Oh alright thanks for the tip

3 hours ago, darcshadow said:

Yeah, the MH can cut just about any scrap size. The pinch rollers can be moved easily to hold quite small pieces.

I've had mine for about 6 years. From what I've read on here the SC model is a step up from the MH, and it is what most on here recommend as an entry level machine.

I get my vinyl from USCutter. I started with the sample pack of Greenstar but buy oracal anytime I need more. I use 651 for most everything I do and have not had any issues with it. But if you're doing larger decals for outside use 751 or 951 are quite a bit better, in terms of lifespan. It is also easier to work with and conforms to curves easier than 651.

Thanks for the info on here. I think I might spend the little extra and go for the SC.. I will do more searching about it and how to use it. software and such.. I did see that one of the machines does show the software i am using so guess its compatible with lots of the cutters

if doing crafts you are probably using scalp - that is one option that many from the craft world use - the sign people tend to prefer the vinylmaster option  - but research is your friend 

if doing crafts you are probably using scalp - that is one option that many from the craft world use - the sign people tend to prefer the vinylmaster option  - but research is your friend 

Well, i want to be able to cut smaller decals for Cups and mugs and things like that mostly for family and friends for Gifts and such.

• Like 1

most cutters will do scraps - some you use a cutting mat for extra small stuff  - - - - as always research is your friend

1 hour ago, eprcvinyls said:

Well, i want to be able to cut smaller decals for Cups and mugs and things like that mostly for family and friends for Gifts and such.

Hey bud Its Pip from  the other forum.Welcome to the best place on earth lol

Back a while ago I obtained the MH-mini cutter, for use inside an RV as a mobile signmaking unit.

That machine will only utilize vinyl 10" in width, so I sold it immediately and went with a 34" machine that I obtained used on craigslist for $90.

Anyway, I still run that machine, it's OK, but won't work right with USB, so it's hooked up with a dedicated serial port to a Dell XP laptop.

If you want to be happy, just order the SC2 24" and everything will work out for you, using VinylMaster (a really, really nice sophisticated program, even at the CUT/basic level) or maybe you are more the kind of person who can use SignBlazer (a cartoon-interface program that's abandonware, not supported, but functional, and includes a terrific built-in clip art graphics library).

BTW, Shirts require a heat press.

7 hours ago, darcshadow said:

Inkscape is a decent design software and best of all it's free.

Thank you all, thanks i heard someone mention that in a video but wasn't sure how to spell. I like the sure cuts a lot but cant get my pictures in it.. then found a video showed you have to import them so ive got a few in it now... I will check out Inkscape  also tho.

Since you are a newbie, I should mention that 'Pictures' (raster graphics) are NOT cuttable.

You will be working in the Vector format for cutting.

Raster art is convertible, to an extent, but that's a discussion for another time. (Vinylmaster that comes with your new cutter has a terrific Vectorization conversion engine, by the way).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, slice&dice said:

Since you are a newbie, I should mention that 'Pictures' (raster graphics) are NOT cuttable.

You will be working in the Vector format for cutting.

Raster art is convertible, to an extent, but that's a discussion for another time. (Vinylmaster that comes with your new cutter has a terrific Vectorization conversion engine, by the way).

Sorry, I shouldn't have said Pictures I guess. I just ment images but What i really ment was Clip art i had saved from off the net.

21 minutes ago, eprcvinyls said:

Sorry, I shouldn't have said Pictures I guess. I just ment images but What i really ment was Clip art i had saved from off the net.

Not all clipart is vector, most clipart is raster. That being said, if you're Googling most of the clipart that you want to cut - you could add the term "vector" to the search as well. That will increase the chance of the clipart you're looking at will be a vector.

If you have a raster clipart, there are programs out there that will vectorize them for you - a great free one is Inkscape.

* and for formality, lot of images on the internet are copyrighted and/or licensed.

Chris, We run into this all the time, people say "Can I print this..." when they really mean Can I CUT this...  Printers are printers, cutters are plotters and they do not even install to your computer like a printer, but rather, as a Port COM.

Anyway, what you download from the net will normally be a raster item and will require converting.

For instance --- 

11949854421936090706farfalla_contorno_ar

Can you cut that?  Not until you run it through a Vectorization engine.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, haumana said:

Not all clipart is vector, most clipart is raster. That being said, if you're Googling most of the clipart that you want to cut - you could add the term "vector" to the search as well. That will increase the chance of the clipart you're looking at will be a vector.

If you have a raster clipart, there are programs out there that will vectorize them for you - a great free one is Inkscape.

Yeah, I just noticed we offered the same basic info to Chris.

The program he gets along with his new cutter (VinylMaster) contains the vectorization engine. A really good one, too.

Vector art is commonly in the format .eps

And to open .eps files, I use a little thing called IrfanView (with Ghostcript) ---  but don't panic, Chris, this is all just stuff we're talking about that you'll catch onto soon enough. We've been doing this for years, and learned as we went along, just as you will.

Have fun, spend that refund, get to CUTTING!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Primal Decals said:

A lot of people do get that confused all the time ,as we always see on here lol..

That was me when I was a noob. Here is why vector works and raster doesn't, and why it's important for those who cut (and do graphics) to know.

Vector isn't really a picture per se, or at least how a computer interprets it - it's string of mathematical values that say cut a line from this point to this point, along this path, etc. A computer (and cutter) can decipher the mathematical values. So when you scale something up or down, the value of the numbers change, but it's still math. When you scale up (or scale down), the quality of the image should remain the same - just in larger detail, or smaller detail.

Raster are images, colors - at this location, at this size, at this color, ... When you scale, the file size can enlarge or shrink greatly. When  you scale up (or scale down) on a raster image, that's when images become clunky and/or pixelated. No bueno for cutters. There is no math there, so cutters don't know what to do with it.

I hope I didn't muddy the water too much.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

Vector art is commonly in the format .eps

it is possible for some .eps files to be raster.

another common vector file suffix is .svg  (althought I prefer the .eps myself)