Primal Decals

Scaling and Artboard Help

Sorry for the confusion on this , I might be doing this the hard way but its been working fine until i got this last job which is a limo bus which is longer etc than the artboard,

I have no idea how to word this and cant get myself to figure what how to solve this on my own. ..I know the limits are set to 227 inches in Ai.... .. And I do things a certain way in Ai to where my images will be larger than the artboard is allowed so i get a more life like look at my previews when i build them in Ai and i use inches as well..   How or what are the percentages used for like 1:20 scaling etc   . So if the way im doing it is i guess 1:1 if im correct on that , Where can i find the math part of it to help me shrink my over-all image  down to fit the artboard which would make everything shorter etc , and after i get my design like its supposed scale it back up to be the proper number. 

I really appreciate your links or info provided,Thank you.

@cardudenc this might come in handy for you on some large things as well if i get the help on this .

If it is anything like corel, the size should not matter while you are designing. Vector graphics scale without loss. Start with anything then capture the final and set the size to what you want.

Can AI work outside the art board?

If that helps.

The rare occasions that the actual design is over 18ft I just down the scale by a round number like 50% so it's easy to scale back up in your cutting software. Don't know how that works in SCALP which I know you use. In SignCut when I view the actual design it will tell me a given height and width that it was designed in and I just manually calculate it and I'm cutting. I don't often need to do this due to large stuff but sometimes have to for super small HTV work where there are complicated pathfinder operations that cause issues with super tiny text or things like that. I often create them larger and then reduce the size at cutting time to get around the weird glitch common to tiny stuff in AI. Even this is a real rarity but have had it happen occasionally. 

The only job I have done over 18ft was a large lettering that went on an I-beam that was 22ft long. I knew the overall dimensions I had to work with and was cutting based on the letter height or 10" or whatever it was and the 22ft number was actually a byproduct of the height so it didn't matter other than finding the center to install. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bikemike said:

If it is anything like corel, the size should not matter while you are designing. Vector graphics scale without loss. Start with anything then capture the final and set the size to what you want.

Can AI work outside the art board?

If that helps.

No its limited to the whole size of the canvas/Artboard which is 227 inches.  

53 minutes ago, Wildgoose said:

The rare occasions that the actual design is over 18ft I just down the scale by a round number like 50% so it's easy to scale back up in your cutting software. Don't know how that works in SCALP which I know you use. In SignCut when I view the actual design it will tell me a given height and width that it was designed in and I just manually calculate it and I'm cutting. I don't often need to do this due to large stuff but sometimes have to for super small HTV work where there are complicated pathfinder operations that cause issues with super tiny text or things like that. I often create them larger and then reduce the size at cutting time to get around the weird glitch common to tiny stuff in AI. Even this is a real rarity but have had it happen occasionally. 

The only job I have done over 18ft was a large lettering that went on an I-beam that was 22ft long. I knew the overall dimensions I had to work with and was cutting based on the letter height or 10" or whatever it was and the 22ft number was actually a byproduct of the height so it didn't matter other than finding the center to install. 

I think i understand a little now . Ill keep everyone posted on this. Just wish they would update to make it so it will be much larger than just the 227 limit. I havent checked  corel yet. I really dont like corel like i do Ai.

Just as some vector trivia for everyone:

Maximum Page Size

Illustrator 5.7785 × 5.7785 m

CorelDraw 45.72 × 45.72 m

Inkscape 1000 × 1000 km 

Gravit claims to be infinite

Xara 2.75 × 2.75 m

• Like 3

Ha ha Inkscape is awesome. I wish it was less clunky or my AI wired brain was able to utilize it better. Some day I will take some extra hours to get better with it. I have a copy of Corel x6 on a laptop that suffers the same fate.  Never seem to have the time. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/25/2018 at 1:47 PM, Wildgoose said:

I dont really design in scalps except for making a shadow or outline or now using the text on the path feature they fixed. Everything else is in Ai thanks to you lol..  And in scalps i can make a 1200x1200 inch artboard which blows away Ai  227 inch size. And now that ive just typed that , I think I might have to try using Scalps for what i need with a large image lol. If it works thanks Wildgoose lol

• Like 1

Wonder what the reasoning/logic is behind limiting the design space size. A 1x1" vector uses the same amount of memory as a vector 1x1 mile in size.

3 hours ago, darcshadow said:

Wonder what the reasoning/logic is behind limiting the design space size. A 1x1" vector uses the same amount of memory as a vector 1x1 mile in size.

Ya i have no clue.Makes no sense..Wish they would add a little more to it .