Bigk_54

Poorly cut

I’m sure it’s still a learning experience but can someone help me out why this looks this way.   I cut this same vinyl before, same settings and product came out great, not so much today. 

Thank you for advice!C0E02A83-FC30-4756-B4BF-90F840B496BE.thumb.jpeg.7aab06bb18a9fe93d7cef02612be5a08.jpeg

I am willing to bet way too much blade exposure  - also check the tip of the blade to see if damaged - along with a drop of sewing machine or reel oil in the blade holder

I was guessing maybe blade issue but before I went crazy thought I’d come to the experts. Thank you, I’ll check blade! 

Here is page I cut after one prior.  2 totally different outcomes but was Avery 900 (green) vs 3m 50 (white) as well too

baffling!!!!!!

CD0C0521-80E3-4C6A-B021-C570A4342273.jpeg

difference in thickness of the 3m calendared vinyl to the cast avery will make a difference as the avery will be thinner 

when you check the blade and oil the holder also check for any bits of vinyl in the tip of the holder

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

when you check the blade and oil the holder also check for any bits of vinyl in the tip of the holder

when checking for bits of random vinyl, take the time to shine a flash light in the blade holder hole - there have been several times that I've gotten itty-bitty pieces in there, and it completely stops the blade from rotating.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.   appreciate the help, frustrated with this vinyl at this point lol any tips on cutting this Avery 900

question, will do mug blade pressure do this?

063B502B-3339-493D-B09A-47E4F9A4BF25.jpeg

if you take it our and cut by hand and it cuts thru the vinyl and cuts the paper it is too much blade - as described in hundreds of post and at least 2 in the instructional contributions section of the forum.  you can't determine that by looking

• Like 1

On 1/24/2018 at 12:24 PM, Bigk_54 said:

C0E02A83-FC30-4756-B4BF-90F840B496BE.thumb.jpeg.7aab06bb18a9fe93d7cef02612be5a08.jpeg

I really think it's a lack of blade rotation in the blade holder. If you look at your example, all the good "cuts" are in the same direction, the reason why it's lifting a bit and creating that arrow effect is because when it's changing directions, the blade is most like not rotating in the proper direction, so it drags the back of the blade against the cut and create the lift. It looks like you have a good amount of pressure on it as well, since the back of the blade is not just "scratching" the vinyl, but leaving depressions on the vinyl.

I know it sucks, but start from scratch as if you're putting in a new blade and trying to determine blade depth and pressure. When all else fails for me, that's what I do and inevitably the issue get's resolved. Going to be honest here - some of my different blades need to stick out at different depths from the holder. Done underestimate the ability to get small bits of junk in the blade holder shaft, and what a smidgen of lubricant can do for the blade/blade holder.

I forgot to mention, and I don't know if anyone else has this issue - with different colors, even if it's from the same manufacturer, I will have to change the pressure. It's kind of weird.

Good luck, and keep us updated.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bigk_54 said:

063B502B-3339-493D-B09A-47E4F9A4BF25.jpeg

That looks like way too much blade. For normal vinyl anyway, you can only just barely see the blade.

I also agree with haumana, that cut doesn't look like the blade is rotating. I suppose it could possible that is caused by too much blade exposure and too much pressure.

Look for Mz. Skeeter's posts on how to set correct blade height and start from there.

• Like 4

From Mz. skeeter and the method used most for accurate blade depth

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

• Like 3

y'all are awesome, just needed a bit of reassurance I guess lol.  I'm balder after this project.  

Thanks Dakota I had read that sometime ago and that's how I originally started, I'm gonna go back to square one! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

• Like 2

sometimes I have to remind myself to go back to the basics when troubleshooting - gives our a solid base when trying to figure stuff out