Guest Fortuna

Why is image cutting twice?!

Guest Fortuna

Hey guys, i'm really struggling with this image being cut twice. I create the image on photoshop, save it, take it to Illustrator to vectorize it, save it as an .SVG then bring it to Vinyl Master.

Once I get there, I get a box around the image that I do not want and also, if I zoom all the way in, I can see the image is there twice. It's not exact but there is definitely more than one pass.

Please help! What am I doing wrong?

Scott_Megan_Wedding_Logo.png

Scott_Megan_Wedding_Logo.svg

@Guest Fortuna -  I would check it in Ai.........I helped someone not long ago on something similar with this, Vm wasnt showing hidden layers and was cutting crazy. Opened the file in Ai and there were like 3 layers plus the main cutting layer. If you need help let me know.

It'd also be worth your time to work with and learn AI so that you can do your design in AI and skip the vectoring portion. Vectoring is never as good as an original vector, especially when fonts are involved.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, darcshadow said:

It'd also be worth your time to work with and learn AI so that you can do your design in AI and skip the vectoring portion. Vectoring is never as good as an original vector, especially when fonts are involved.

I would be willing to teach a little if wanted...

Guest Fortuna
9 hours ago, Primal Decals said:

I would be willing to teach a little if wanted...

I'd love to learn what I could of Ai! I don't know much other than having used it for tracing to create a vector but obviously it's giving me troubles. :(

Just  separate in VM, select your image, right click it and then select ungroup. select the image again and just pull one layer off of the other

screenshot.thumb.jpg.eaa6e83cdcf6bebf1ceb9e206fb341cc.jpg

18 hours ago, Guest Fortuna said:

I'd love to learn what I could of Ai! I don't know much other than having used it for tracing to create a vector but obviously it's giving me troubles. :(

Ill do it for free bud of what i know.  Send me a pm and we can chat about it if you want for more info..

Guest lynn

I am getting double text. I have made similar vinyl and not had this problem. I create in Adobe Photoshop, save as jpeg and under "Images" choose vectorize. it traces and places in the vinyl master document. I then choose "cut" from the file menu. As you can see, in the "object manager" there is only 1 page. It shouldn't double cut. What could I be doing differently from the last time?

vinyl master screen shot.jpg

Why are you using so many steps to make text?   Just do it in Vinyl Master with the text tool.   It would already be a vector.   Or do it in FREE Inkscape.   You don't vector text. You create it from within the vector program. 

19 minutes ago, Jp450r said:

save it as a jpeg from PS and bring it into VM and vectorize it there.............DONE

You only vector text as a last resort, when you can't find the fonts. Fonts don't vector smooth.  

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

You only vector text as a last resort, when you can't find the fonts. Fonts don't vector smooth.  

amen.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

I have never had that problem.

Really? What are you using to vectorize? Would love to see an example of text you traced with no problems.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Jp450r said:

I have never had that problem.

yes, inquiring minds want to know. do tell, what program are you using?

I guess i might be talking about something different. I was talking about bringing in an image with text already with it.

I have typed text in Photoshop around an image and exported it out of photoshop as a jpeg and it vectorized just fine.

Sure, text WILL vectorize, but if you zoom into the NODES that result from that process/conversion, you'll see it's not clean and smooth, like a font that is typed directly.

Here is proof --  (exaggerated, but shows typical result).

example.JPG.4d0ab75f7f72164c952c98bebd8ca65a.JPG

vector conversion of Text

• Like 1

Not sure if i am not doing what y'all are talking about but here is a text document i did in photoshop and took it into VM cut. Here it is after i vectorized it.

vector.JPG

The only way you can tell if you have clean vector files it to put it on wire frame and zoom it up big.   You did not post the vector file , only a jpeg

What resolution is your jpeg file. An extremely high resolution can result in decent Text trace but it'll still be better to type the text out in the vector program rather than doing a conversion.

Here's an example. The top is the vector the bottom is the jpg, as you can see the larger word did trace pretty good, although not perfect, where as the smaller version is not good at all.

Capture.JPG

Just my take is jp45r is only comfortable working with raster graphics and has no drive to produce the cleanest vector graphics.  if he/she is only interested in producing graphics good enough for their expectations that is no skin off my teeth and makes them easier to compete against.   Many of us work to put out the best work they can.   You can sell products that are the best you can make them or you can sell ones that are "good enough" to sell.    It's a choice and much like trying to change someones political or religious views on social media - you won't change their view unless they want to see the facts  - which is seldom until it effects them in a  personal way.   

you will notice that every single one of the "old timers" that have tried to help are the ones that have been producing clean graphics for years and make a decent living at it - those that produce a product that is just "good enough" don't last that long in a crowded market.

Just my 2 cents

• Like 3

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.