Guest DianaBeuchert

Connecting Segments

Guest DianaBeuchert

I have VinylMaster Cut v4.0, and can't find how to make the segments of a circle, say, into one continuous line. I'm trying to cut stencils for airbrushing, out of thick plastic sheets. I know I should make several passes, and I have the pressure as high as it'll go. But the shape is being cut in segments, not as one continuous line, so the three segments of the circle, for example, are not exactly meeting where one stops and the next one begins. So when I punch out the cut shape, in order to end up with a negative shape (stencil), there are little nubs where the segments meet. I'd rather the shape cut out in one continuous line, so I don't have to smooth or file down the little nubs. I've already started a help ticket, and didn't get any help at all from the people who sold me the software along with my USCutter. TIA for any help you can offer!

What cutter? How big of a stencil?

I don't think it would be software related. More of a tracking issue.

Does it cut normal vinyl fine? Or if you have a pen attachment option will it draw a circle fine?

When you say it's cutting in segments, you mean like it cuts a portion then picks the blade up, moves do a different part of the circle and cut another portion? Or are you just meaning when it completes the circle the start and end points are matching up exactly?

If it's the first problem, that could be a funking vector file, post it here and someone can take a look.

If it's the second problem, that's just a tracking issue and depending on the cutter you have, there may not be much that can be done to correct it. Confirm your offsets and over cuts are set correctly and that the material is not slipping while cutting.

Guest DianaBeuchert
30 minutes ago, darcshadow said:

Does it cut normal vinyl fine? Yes. This is thick plastic - thicker than a flimsy report cover. It takes my cutter four passes to get thru it.

Or if you have a pen attachment option will it draw a circle fine? Yes.

When you say it's cutting in segments, you mean like it cuts a portion then picks the blade up, moves do a different part of the circle and cut another portion? Or are you just meaning when it completes the circle the start and end points are matching up exactly? It does the egg shape in thirds, picking up the blade to begin each segment.

If it's the first problem, that could be a funking vector file, post it here and someone can take a look.

If it's the second problem, that's just a tracking issue and depending on the cutter you have, there may not be much that can be done to correct it. Confirm your offsets and over cuts are set correctly and that the material is not slipping while cutting.

1 hour ago, bikemike said:

What cutter?  USCutter MH model.

How big of a stencil? Just 8.5 x 11". The shape I'm practicing with is an egg shape, about 3" tall.

I don't think it would be software related. More of a tracking issue.

Ok, so the egg has three segments when cutting the plastic, it does the same when cutting Vinyl? That sounds like a design issue. If the egg is designed as one continuous line it should cut that way. Post the egg vector and we'll take a look at it.

The fact that it cuts the vinyl just fine in one pass and the plastic takes 4 passes and doesn't cut perfect would be a tracking issue for the plastic. But if we can get it to at least do the whole egg in a continuous segment that would help.

Overcut could explain not closing the cut fully, but if the egg is a solid path the cutter/software shouldn't be cutting it segments.

Just now, darcshadow said:

Overcut could explain not closing the cut fully, but if the egg is a solid path the cutter/software shouldn't be cutting it segments.

I wonder ( out of curiosity) if this egg shape was created in pieces instead just an oval? .just guessing is all. If it was a solid oval it wouldnt cut in segments.something is missing here.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.