Sign in to follow this  
3barefoot

Some people just keep on...

2 hours ago, 3barefoot said:

I do this just as a side job, I don't push it to sell. If it sells it sells if it don't it don't. My husband owns a mechanic shop, I run his office and I have my cutter and everything at his shop.

Ha, Be careful what you start! I am similar as a side thing and my wife helps out. We do most of it in the evening and weekends. Started out about 7 years ago and did a few hundred bucks here and there. last year we grossed over 80K. It's no longer part time even though we try to tell ourselves it is. I basically work 2 full time jobs. This last season was over the top so I am raising my prices substantially to cut down on some of the volume. At least that's the theory, we'll see if it cuts down any at all or not. If I wouldn't have taken the family on a trip last fall I think I would have paid all my equipment off and could comfortably just stop altogether if I wanted. I will have to stay at it for this season as well but am considering pulling in the reigns a bit because it's getting less fun that it used to be. I still make too much on my day job to justify opening a brick and mortar and going all out on the graphics side and had intended it to be something to retire INTO in around 10 years. There is definitely money to be made in several niche directions. 

• Like 3

On 1/17/2018 at 7:37 AM, 3barefoot said:

You have all these people out there with the cricut & cameo who make it seem vinyl is so cheap. In my area seems everyone and their Mama has one and doing decals dirt cheap. I'm not falling to their level. Let them go get shirts from them that have been pressed with an iron not a heat press. I'm sure this is the problem I am running into. They prob have gotten work done before from a team Mom who didn't charge them much. 

People like them are the reason I have bought a DTG printer. Those little cutters can't touch shirts I could print. lol 

I've just got to get it serviced before I can use it.

This is my fear, They seem to be every day a new add on Facebook for people selling decals and or small signs, saying they can make anything.. But I just know there using oracal 651 and a small craft cutter. I hope I can get people to understand that Im using better Vinyl 751 and i can cut bigger stuff for them.

4 minutes ago, eprcvinyls said:

This is my fear, They seem to be every day a new add on Facebook for people selling decals and or small signs, saying they can make anything.. But I just know there using oracal 651 and a small craft cutter. I hope I can get people to understand that Im using better Vinyl 751 and i can cut bigger stuff for them.

You can control that to some extent by making them aware of the difference. In other words if you advertise be sure and say something like "We use high performance vinyl rather than the cheap stuff the other people sell".  That is such a smooth sales tagline that I think I should get a cut of your profits just for thinking it up, 5% is plenty. 

• Haha 2

I am glad I didn't do the shirts now that I have seen a picture. I wouldn't want my name no where near them. They look poor. :lol:

I don't get why they didn't go local with a screen print company for the fronts.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

You can control that to some extent by making them aware of the difference. In other words if you advertise be sure and say something like "We use high performance vinyl rather than the cheap stuff the other people sell".  That is such a smooth sales tagline that I think I should get a cut of your profits just for thinking it up, 5% is plenty. 

Yeah, I am going to, I already put on one of my FB posts that Im using good vinyl that will last i want my customers to have good stuff and not cheap.