Sign in to follow this  
redfish

Custom shaped magnets

Wondering if anyone has experience in printing and cutting custom shaped magnets? What equipment do you recomend? 

we used to have a moderator on here that kept and old MH 721 to beat on doing this very thing so he didn't abuse his graphtec - it basically scores it and then break it along the line - of course the mh won't do a contour cut so I imagine he used flexi to contour using the blade to set the points

I was think more on the lines of a Roland Eco-sol printer cutter, just not sure it can handle the magnetic material. 

some do but I never do it for 2 reasons - a head strike on magnet material would be an expensive lesson and again it really isn't made to cut thru that magnet material if using stuff like the magnum 30mil - they make thinner but not really right for vehicles to last.  I have read about people using a plastic like material on the output of the printer to the magnet doesn't get a grip on the output heated platen but again one strike is going to cost you several hundred dollars so I print vinyl and adhere that to the magnet - only doing rectangles here
now if you spring for a flatbed you can do that and coro directly - just could never justify the price for a flatbed along with all the real estate it takes up

magnum also makes a material you run thru and then magnetize - cost for how many I would sell just doesn't make sense that way either, along with reading of problems with that materials longevity