Times

Can't cut imported images

So I am a new user and trying to figure this cutter and software out but this seems pretty difficult.  I am creating very basic projects in Illustrator, saving them and when imported the Vinyl Master program scrambles things severely and the cut paths are distorted and messed up.

So most of the time I have to come up with ideas in Illustrator then try to rebuild them in the Vinyl Master program to print them because it can;t import them without making mistakes.

For example, I am at a complete stand still on a memorial project, I want to have "In Loving Memory Of" in arched writing over a very basic cross then a name and dates underneath, took me less than 5 minutes to design it in Illustrator and save it, but when I attempt to open it in Vinyl master the text is all screwed up and overlapping the cross, it is a complete mess.  So then I try to import it as an image but the outliner can't follow the text properly and it makes massive mistakes it is impossible to cut this out and it is extremely basic and simple so I fear even trying to do anything more complex if Vinyl Master software can't do this.

So I am at a loss.  Us there some special steps I must do in Illustrator?  I have attempted various different saving methods but the text almost always disappears when opened in Vinyl Master no matter how I save it.

Please help, I am ready to give up at this point if I can't even cut extremely basic designs with this cutter and software.

I mostly use CorelDraw instead of AI....but, if I had to guess, I would ask if you

converted your text to curves before saving as an eps/svg file....then importing

to VM.

Sue2

Not sure what you mean about converting curved text, there is nothing to convert, I made it curved from the start.  But even the regular text below is jumbled up or completely missing so this is part of my confusion, nothing I make in Illustrator properly opens up in VM.

Welcome aboard, and happy new year Times -

In AI, I presume that you have simply typed your words.  At that point you need to select "object and expand".  That will convert your typed text to a vector.  If you then arch the vector, you will need to "object and expand" again.  At least I have to.  Then save and see if VM will import the vector for you.

Hang in there, it will become second nature for you.

Cal

• Like 2

First of all thanks to both of you for offering some advise.  I am playing with both ideas offered, been playing with all sorts of different ways to save projects both raw text and after converting it.

Converting it does offer a fairly complete looking image in VM, when I vectorize the project and trace it for cutting the results are horrible.  There are gaps in the middle of a letter or letters are connected or missing segments especially where any kind of thin lettering may be, I thought it was the thickness of the lettering but even stretching the project to huge proportions it still makes the mistakes with letters 6 inches tall but if I take the exact same font used and make the word in VM, it works perfectly and a letter that would not outline properly at 6 inches when imported will outline perfectly at 1 inch tall.........

There seems to be a problem with the software recognizing any thin lettering not created in VM.  Large and blocky fonts  seem to work pretty well unless I arch it and that can mess it up as well.  

Vector software is not push button easy.  It isn't like bitmap's which people know and love.  It takes some great deal of investment of time to acquire proficiency.  Don't be surprised that it takes some perseverance.

Auto-tracing often, (as in very often,) fails in giving something useful for a vinyl cutter.  The sure way to over come this is to manually trace, (re-construct by hand.)  This is often the only solution.

But specific to your problems, it would be much easier to ofter advice if you gave samples.  Can  you post links to you AI files on dropbox or someplace?

• Like 4

Sounds like you might be doing it twice. If you covert the text while in AI as clhyer explained then it is already a vector an you should not need to go through that process again when in VM. Be sure you are exporting into a format or version  that VM will import and it should be ready to go. this provided you have built a cut worthy file in the first place. As said earlier, with a little practice you will be over the learning hump and things will make more sense. I can't recall if there is a specific AI version that VM prefers but typically AI Version 8 is a safe bet. If you are comfortable in Illustrator it's probably the top dog of design (and my favorite) but you may want to complete your project including all welds and such so it's completely ready to cut. As dcbevins mentioned you can always upload a file and we will take a look and give you an honest appraisal. No copyright protected work please.  

• Like 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.