Sign in to follow this  
absolute_customs

Help the Newb

Hello Ladies & Gents,

I have been toying with the idea of getting a wide format printer and new cutter. However I have never messed around with the printers. Can anyone help point me in the right direction? I have been looking at the VersaStudio BN-20. Any help though would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.uscutter.com/HP-Latex-Print-and-Cut-Combo-Graphtec-FC8600-130-Cutter-110-Latex-Printer

Roland makes a great cutter and probably the best for getting parts down the road of any brand  - with that said the BN20 is slow and more costly to operate than the bigger rolands - also with a solvent keep it printing a lot or you will be replacing heads at about $1800 each last time I looked when someone was looking for heads for one.   I would go at least to the 30" and make sure you have enough business to print every couple of days.  the latex is much more forgiving when you don't print a lot but the downside is parts are not going to be available too far in the future - think months instead of years with a roland

• Like 2

In this business, you have to be running that sucker a lot to make it pay. If you just need printing now and then, best thing is to sub out your jobs to a shop that has one (either one of the Forum members who does that work or go with a commercial/wholesale company, like ZooPrinting).

Over the course of sign making, I have clients here and there who need full-color and for those times, outside contracting is the way to go.

Your mileage may vary.

I agree with both previous comments. I have occasional need to build or at least quote a print job here and there. I sub it out and still can make a little without the expense of owning. If I ever take the leap I am considering (have been for years) a thermal printer. They are more expensive to operate per print but can sit for long periods without issue which is what I know will be the case with my business. Also can print some cool stuff like chrome and engine turned gold and don't need a laminate over the top. I am still not comfortable in what they CAN and CAN'T do to make the leap. When I get in a financial place to actually buy one I plan to take a trip to one of the shows and really see it in action before deciding once and for all. 

That’s what we done wild goose before getting our first wide printer. Trade shows are a great to see one in action. It was a Roland. It was a Work horse and never had a issue with it. We purchase a new one  2 years ago. It still works like a dream. 

• Like 1