Dolomite41

SC cutter newbie. Need help

Recommended Posts

Hi I just received my Sc2 in mail. With sure cuts a lot 3. I have a Mac computer system running. I am very new to this and have a series of questions that some of you experts may assist me with. 

 

1. How do I calibrate my paper so the carriage arm knows what size my paper is. I tried to do several test runs of fonts that go to about 1” away from the page and it’s going off of the paper and cutting 

 

2. I am importing in SVG files from illustrator. Is there anyway to speed this process up. Or does it depend on your memory? Or the dpi of the file? 

3. What dpi should I export my adobe illustrator file in. 

4. What’s a good speed/pressure to cut out oracle651?

think that is it for now. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome aboard Dolomite and congrats on the new cutter.  What type of projects do you have planned for it?

I will try to answer your questions, others may do a better job of explanations though...

1.  You size the project to the vinyl (or paper).  If you look at my pic, the project has the blue circles with various arrows, this shows the outside of the selected artwork.  Look at the tool bar on the upper right labled "Properties".  Under "Position & Size" you find the "X" & "Y" axis which shows where the object is placed on the workspace grid.  Below that are boxes labeled "W" & "H" for width and height of the project.  Using my project as an example, the outside measurements are 4.325" wide by 3.734" tall.  If either of those measurements are larger than your paper you are in trouble.  You can resize your project by using the little up & down arrows or simply deleting the numbers in the box and typing the size you want.  The "keep proportions" box under the size will sync the measurements so changing one will change the other - or not. You do not want to cut off the paper, doing so will cut into the cutting strip which can cause future problems for you.  I have never cut plain paper, but I think you use a cutting mat under it if you do.

 

2.  I do not know of any way to speed this process up, and really not sure what you are referring to.  When I finish a design in AI and hit save, I can immediately import it into SCALP and cut.  Not any hold up in time...

 

3.  If AI asks about a dpi I just use default.  I have never seen it ask though so I am not sure of the question.  I will have to look the next time I am in AI working.

 

4.  My speed & pressure is 200/55 - that is on an older SC model.

Cal

Screen Shot 2017-12-22 at 8.13.25 AM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you clhyer for the reply. Very helpful. 

 

1. I understand what you’re saying as far as the project. I figured out how to change my mat size but do I need to load the paper in any certain way. I see the ruler on my machine. Should I put the edge of the paper to the edge of the machine? Or put it in at 1”. I think this may be my problem not sure though

 

2. When you say you hit save and open it up in scalp3 you’re meaning an svg filer correct?  I can save in AI as an svg. But when I go to import my svg into scalp. It loads up with a status bar. Well this is the process that takes a long time (depending on the file size). If I have a small logo it’s quick. However if I have a big file. Let’s say 24” x96” it takes quite some time 

 

3. Also and this may be part of my problem to question 2. What is the max length I can do. I have a project for some lettering and it is about 24” x 600”. I’ve split up the files but not sure what max I can do? I’m trying to stick around 24” x48” 

 

thnaks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading the specs on the cutter it says    "Max Cutting Length144 in"   but even so, the value cutters do not track as well as the higher end cutters.  So you may get vinyl drift at that length. Shorter jobs would be better.  Before you send your job, make sure you are hitting the ORIGIN button first.  That is your start measuring point,  The cutter will measure from that point so the design does not go off the other side of the vinyl. but you must make sure that the vinyl is wide enough to do the job.  I don't use SCALP software,  but I would think it has a rotate feature to which direction it is cutting on the vinyl. 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dolomite41 said:

Thank you clhyer for the reply. Very helpful. 

 

1. I understand what you’re saying as far as the project. I figured out how to change my mat size but do I need to load the paper in any certain way. I see the ruler on my machine. Should I put the edge of the paper to the edge of the machine? Or put it in at 1”. I think this may be my problem not sure though

 

2. When you say you hit save and open it up in scalp3 you’re meaning an svg filer correct?  I can save in AI as an svg. But when I go to import my svg into scalp. It loads up with a status bar. Well this is the process that takes a long time (depending on the file size). If I have a small logo it’s quick. However if I have a big file. Let’s say 24” x96” it takes quite some time 

 

3. Also and this may be part of my problem to question 2. What is the max length I can do. I have a project for some lettering and it is about 24” x 600”. I’ve split up the files but not sure what max I can do? I’m trying to stick around 24” x48” 

 

thnaks. 

keep in mind that "ruler" is a decal stuck on without any precision by a chinese factory worker making a buck and hour so it is not a set in stone straight edge like on the graphtecs -  IMHO it is more decoration as many many people have found out these decals are hardly ever dead straight

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dolomite41 I can give you help over the phone if you wish, Send me a Pm And ill give you my number..  Im pretty positive i can get you going with just one call and in about 15 min.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Primal Decals said:

Dolomite41 I can give you help over the phone if you wish, Send me a Pm And ill give you my number..  Im pretty positive i can get you going with just one call and in about 15 min.

And right there you go @Dolomite41.  An offer you can't (and shouldn't) refuse.  Primal is a good guy with a heap more experience than myself.

 

But, since you asked... it does not matter where you load the vinyl as long as you have the pressure rollers over the feeders (not even sure what those things are called).

A 50' long design!!!  The only thing I have done even close was a set of pin stripes for my truck.  Those were maybe 18'.  I used Sign Cut step by step cutting on my SC cutter.  Results were not saleable, but ok for my use.

 

As an experiment I loaded a design into AI and saved as an SVG (I usually save as an AI or EPS).  I then imported into SCALP and it loaded immediately.  It was a smaller design, but complicated.  Not sure what you are running into unless it is those 50' long designs?

I very much recommend that you give Primal a shot..

Cal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most big or long projects are one in segments. I think the limit of AI is a little over 20ft for workplace unless they have revamped that in the CC edition. Generally you would be scaling up a smaller project to cut something that long. I don't know SCALP enough to know if you can even do that. 

The bottom line is (as mentioned by clhyer) your SC cutter is not really capable of those size of things although people push the envelope all the time. If you have projects that large you should be looking into a cutter that can handle it and I suggest looking for a cutting utility that is professional grade as well.

If you have and are savvy with AI for design you can use SignCut Pro 1 that they sell here at USCutter for like $270 lifetime dongle. It is mac compatible and also pc compatible. It's just a cutting utility with almost no design ability but it has a step-by-step option that can help out budget cutters in SOME cases. I like the program so much I chose it over all the other options when I bought my Summa cutter. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds right. Rarely have I even gotten close but should the need arise thats when you want to design at a smaller scale and let your cutting program upsize it. That's easy to do in SignCut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you guys for all of the help, I think I played around with it enough to get it working correctly.  No issues at all.  You guys are great and thanks for the quickly replies.  Thanks @Primal Decals for offering help over the phone, ill Inbox you and give you my number should I have any questions in the future.  

One last thing, 

Ive seen other cutters with a built in blade to cut the vinyl after cutting.  the SC2 has a red guide on it to put in a blade to cut.  Do they make one for the SC2?  Like a slide blade that mounts on the machine?  Just curious cause I've seen some on others.  Thanks 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dolomite41 said:

Thank you guys for all of the help, I think I played around with it enough to get it working correctly.  No issues at all.  You guys are great and thanks for the quickly replies.  Thanks @Primal Decals for offering help over the phone, ill Inbox you and give you my number should I have any questions in the future.  

One last thing, 

Ive seen other cutters with a built in blade to cut the vinyl after cutting.  the SC2 has a red guide on it to put in a blade to cut.  Do they make one for the SC2?  Like a slide blade that mounts on the machine?  Just curious cause I've seen some on others.  Thanks 

I don't think I have seen a cutter with an auto cut off until you get up to the graphtec fc  series - I have been using a snap off blade knife on all my graphtecs for years

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dolomite41 said:

 

Ive seen other cutters with a built in blade to cut the vinyl after cutting.  the SC2 has a red guide on it to put in a blade to cut.  Do they make one for the SC2?  Like a slide blade that mounts on the machine?  Just curious cause I've seen some on others.  Thanks 

I have a Graphtec FC series and it is the only vinyl cutter I have seen that has the cut off blade.  Or rebranded Graphtec FC

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now