Dolomite41

SC cutter newbie. Need help

latest design computer is a 8 core Ryzen 7 1700X , 64 gb ram, 8 tb hard drive - - - - spent about a grand less than your laptop :)  and is overkill for most any graphics but that is what I wanted this time - some of my larger raster images require a lot of computer.   

for the cutter the little 2gb ram machine has been only turned off a couple times a year for vacations - just sits waiting to perform when needed.  

on the design computer it is hard to put this much cooling in a laptop  

35-846-001-V11.jpg

• Like 1

I spent $300 on my brand new netbook that can run my graphtec no problem.

A lot more on that for my laptop and the desktops.

I really should work on that duel processor mac I have and find out what is wrong. Right now it is just sitting.

3 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

latest design computer is a 8 core Ryzen 7 1700X , 64 gb ram, 8 tb hard drive - - - - spent about a grand less than your laptop :)  and is overkill for most any graphics but that is what I wanted this time - some of my larger raster images require a lot of computer.   

for the cutter the little 2gb ram machine has been only turned off a couple times a year for vacations - just sits waiting to perform when needed.  

on the design computer it is hard to put this much cooling in a laptop  

You do know that unless a program is designed to run on more that one core it makes no difference if you have1 or 8? Just saying. I would love that thing, but does it really help in the long run? Now your rip stuff can probably use all that and more.

3 minutes ago, bikemike said:

that is part of it the RIP - and I commonly run VE_LXI Master plus, Corel Draw, AI, Chrome with about 20 tabs open, edge with another 10 tabs open. Versaworks etc - so you would say not a normal user.  Windows 10 pro on that one and several of the programs are the newer ones that can use the extra power

for the OP a simple $60 old windows machine would make life a lot easier but I am sure Primal will get the mac working

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dakotagrafx said:

that is part of it the RIP - and I commonly run VE_LXI Master plus, Corel Draw, AI, Chrome with about 20 tabs open, edge with another 10 tabs open. Versaworks etc - so you would say not a normal user.

for the OP a simple $60 old windows machine would make life a lot easier but I am sure Primal will get the mac working

Fingers crossed lol

Ya, not normal with all that open. I do the same, just not to that extreme.

Do you turn the furnace down when you got all that running or is it just automatic????

And yes, a cheap thing would run the cutter no problem.

• Like 2

On previous design computers I did add a small housefan in front of it during the summer -  - I am sure that one, the printer computer (that is the last design computer) along with the one in the back room for printing labels and guest use along with the cutting computer add a little heat lol   power bill goes down on vacations 

• Like 2

LOL on the fans.

I hear ya on the power bills. Surprising they don't have some charge for overloading the grid when you go away.

• Like 2

just logging on today and taking a quick break at the shop checking out the daily posts and stumble on this. just skimmed thru, so will read thru it all when I get home. but 1 thing for sure is that @Primal Decals is 1 sick puupy. he undoubtedly gets off on helping others, staying awake sometimes til 3 or 4 am  to help computer challenged peeps figure what their doing to meet deadlines .Lmao!!

I understand about things being posted on the forum so that others can find the fix when they have the same issue.  but like last night, I don't think what was going on could be fixed/explained or whatever well enough until primal logged onto my comp thru teamviewer. I would hate to say how much time the dude has logged helping just me. I can rem a couple of times we have posted the end results of some of screw ups and the fix on here. he is the 1 that is better at posting the info than me, half the time I forget to take pics of my before and after projects. I'm trying to get better at that.

with that being said , I want everybody to know several of the members on here have helped me a lot since I joined the forum. a lot of good peeps on here that will do a lot for us dumb newbies. Like ive posted before, I just wished I had joined and asked questions before I ordered anything

• Thanks 1

For everyone that uses a separate computer to run your cutter, how do you transfer the cut files from your design computer?  usb thumbnail, LAN?

Do you keep the main copy of the image on your design computer and just put a temporary copy on a thumbnail and delete it after?

I use a thumb drive to keep the separation of that computer from any other potential problems  - on my  design computer I have a drive set up with folders that contain the files for each customer (and another folder for archived customers that have not been around in a while to clean it up a bit)    at one time I had it on the lan but that opened it up to potential infection if there was a problem elsewhere in the system

• Like 1