Church504

Vinyl won't stick to glass #HELP#

First off thanks for accepting me to the forum. 

(Problem) Im trying to install a layered (3 color) vinyl graphic on a Barbershop Window. I've tried both wet and dry application and everytime I peel the transfer tape off the vinyl comes off with it. I can't get the first layer to stick at all. I tried with Clear Orical 651 transfer tape and self stick draw liner (suggested by someone else who does vinyl work). Even if I take a small portion of the vinyl and stick it on by hand it peels off with ease. 

I'm using Orical 651 vinyl.

Cleaned window with Windex.

Temp outside was around 70°

Windex has ammonia in it and that will mess with the vinyl and adhesive if it hasn't completely been removed.  Wash it down with soapy water. Dawn dishsoap cuts the ammonia well.

I always use a final wipe of rubbing alcohol. It is also possible someone has coated the glass with rainX which can really screw you. On top of that if it were me I would use 751 on glass work. You would not believe how much glass will expand and contract with heat changes and the cast vinyl will hold up longer. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 thing stand right our along with that has already been said - NEVER use clear application tape doing wet - won't work.    2nd always use a good quality application tape as it will make your life a lot easier.  the person using shelf liner must be yankin your chain

• Like 3

Welcome aboard Church504.  A couple of questions I might ask, what is your experience level?  I am guessing that you are fairly new to vinyl, not just this site.

In addition to the tips listed above, how are you pulling the transfer tape off?  You do not want to pull "up" on the tape, it will lift the decal.  You want to "peel" the tape off.  And maybe because I am right handed, I find it an easier peel when I go left to right on the decal.  I do not know why exactly.  YMMV.

Also, how large is the decal?  Inside or outside application?

I will apologize in advance if you have plenty of experience and find the above elementary...

Cal

• Like 3