bikemike

Shipping layerd decals

Never had to do this before, so time to ask.

I have to ship 2 layered (2 color) 16 x 11 inch decals to Oklahoma from Canada.

Planning on using the core from my heat transfer stuff. 3 1/2 inch.

I know to roll with the transfer tape to the outside, but a bit worried about tunneling both transfer tape and vinyl layering.

Am I panicking for nothing or should I be good rolled like that.

Thanks.

I prefer to ship as flat when its thats size. You can just a get a couple boxes and cut them down to make them flat and just tape it very good around the edges. and write Fragile on it on both sides.I think the cost was the same and you have less to worry about for tunneling.. . Just my Opinion.

Mike - depends on the base vinyl - with 651 or 751 you should be able to use the tube- with things like reflectives or metallics or other specialty materials I would use a 6x6x12 box to roll it less tight so it doesn't tunnel

Ya, it's 651. I would prefer flat but don't know about the cost. Shipping from here is crazy. 3 1/2 tube 12 long is $25. How would that compare with down there?

Maybe my idea of shipping is way off. That is post office price.

I use Uline boxes,  as well as the FREE boxes I get from Ebay for having a store.   That size would be First Class for me..Depends on price you sold for.. But anything under $20  I don't add insurance.  So just postal price  around   $4.16 or less  First Class.   I figure my shipping costs into my decal prices and advertise as FREE shipping. 

10 minutes ago, bikemike said:

Ya, it's 651. I would prefer flat but don't know about the cost. Shipping from here is crazy. 3 1/2 tube 12 long is $25. How would that compare with down there?

Maybe my idea of shipping is way off. That is post office price.

My last shipment was about 13 bucks i believe. and the size  was roughly 22"x30". wouldnt hurt to just go there and get a quote on a size before you just do it.

20 minutes ago, Primal Decals said:

My last shipment was about 13 bucks i believe. and the size  was roughly 22"x30". wouldnt hurt to just go there and get a quote on a size before you just do it.

I could still ship that size First Class. in a 24" x 6" x 6"  Uline box  for around  $4.16  for 15 oz    And most of the time they still get there the same time a Priority box would.   I have shipped many to California on  Friday/Saturday and they will be there Monday.   And no extra price for the zones using First Class. Even more expensive items at $40. plus, with insurance is still cheaper than Priority in most cases.   I check both ways to see which is cheaper.  Box would be about $1.10  I buy on sale. 

• Like 1

Thinking I should take a trip to the states just to ship. Only a 15 min. drive. Ship from there, have lunch and come back.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bikemike said:

Thinking I should take a trip to the states just to ship. Only a 15 min. drive. Ship from there, have lunch and come back.

Yes, you would save a lot on shipping that way.  

36 minutes ago, Primal Decals said:

The western states/ plus Alaska, and Hawaii are my most expensive zone from Indiana  and shipping a package of 2 pounds to California in a 24" x 6" x 6" box with FREE priority insurance  is only $9.69   printed from Paypal.      Your paying too much.   2 pounds and even under a little,  for me would be a set of (2) decals 20" W x  100" L with transfer tape. and a squeegee. 

I shipped 2 beer mugs to Alberta. (big ones) 6.5 lbs and cost me $29 for the cheapest shipping. UPS wanted $70.

wow - shipping in Canada is expensive  - I did quit using the USPS priority tubes = seemed they resembled wheel chocks too much as they looked like they had been driven over too many times when they got there - especially bad in the carolinas.  for down there I now use the heaviest tubes I can find but quit putting fragile or do not crush on any packages as the chance of damage went up considerably when they had those labels 

Just now, Dakotagrafx said:

but quit putting fragile or do not crush on any packages as the chance of damage went up considerably when they had those labels 

I never put that on boxes.  I always figured it was an invitation to do it ...LOL.  

• Like 1

Something else that I use, if shipping between cardboard  is to put them in poly mailers to keep the decals dry.  Prices are not too bad if buying, or if you have an Ebay store you can get them FREE.  And ship First Class.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-14-5x19-VM-Brand-2-Mil-Poly-Mailers-Envelopes-Plastic-Shipping-Bags/381357612000?hash=item58caaf5be0:g:9qkAAOSwd0BVx4ql:sc:USPSPriority!46962!US!-1

I agree with that fragile is just an invitation.

Have to find a good time to go to the states. Near Christmas can be a bad time. I have been in 7 mile lineups trying to get back.

Thanks everyone.

On 12/13/2017 at 10:36 AM, MZ SKEETER said:

The western states/ plus Alaska, and Hawaii are my most expensive zone from Indiana  and shipping a package of 2 pounds to California in a 24" x 6" x 6" box with FREE priority insurance  is only $9.69   printed from Paypal.      Your paying too much.   2 pounds and even under a little,  for me would be a set of (2) decals 20" W x  100" L with transfer tape. and a squeegee. 

I guess i should of mentioned that it has some weight to it .there was multiple items in with the decals  as well.