BNS16

USB TO PRINTER CORD

I have a usb to printer cord that is to short but my Lazer point 2 works great with. I bought a longer cord and the computer doesn't recognize the Lazer point 2 cutter. I have tried several and with same luck. When I plug in this other cord and  it works flawlessly. I'm asking if there is a longer cord that will work, or maybe some ideas of a setting that's I can change to make my longer cord work. Thank you.

cords under 15 ft have been used by some of us - over that I believe the loss thru the longer cable causes issues - not sure if a powered hub would help or not.    how long are you trying to run?

PS I would change your username to something other than your email addy - you will get lots of spam from bots that troll the internet looking for data to spam to

When we bought our printer and Grimco came and set it up, the installer said anything over a 6 ft cord will have data loss. It sucks because I need a long one for my setup at the shop, but had to rearrange to get the printer close to the computer.

You might want to look into a Tripp lite Keyspan Adapter and don't look back.  The USB  chip sets on value cutters are cheap Chinese,  not a True USB like the higher end cutters.    Tripp Lite Keyspan Adapter has helped many people on here. 

Find the best price. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tripp-Lite-Keyspan-High-Speed-USB-to-Serial-Adapter-PC-Mac-USA-19HS-1-Pack/222076446870?hash=item33b4c9a896:g:hp8AAOSwiiRZgphX 

• Like 1

The first cord I tried on my LP2 had problems. Luckily, I had an 6 footer laying around with ferrite beads on both ends.  That did the trick.  The ferrite beads, those big lumps of plastic a couple of inches from the end,  cut down on stray high frequency noise in the lines.  Most of the time when talking about "data loss" the data is still there but other "noise" is making it unusable.  Like Mz Skeeter pointed out, the lower end units have cheap chip sets and they probably don't have the capability to filter out the noise.

- Use the shortest cord you can get by with.

- Make sure it has ferrite beads on both ends.

- Keep it away from electric cords. Cross electric cords at a 45 degree angle or larger. Never bundle the two together.

- Test it in different USB ports on your computer. Not all the ports are the same.

- USB cables are one place not to pinch pennies.  Bargain cords often have thinner wire and less shielding = data loss.

I've got two 25 foot USBs stretched from my porch out across my yard to a megatree for my Christmas light show.  They criss-cross dozens of power cords and terminate in a control box with two power supplies, two micro controllers, 16 relays and 45 Amps of power. . .an EMF nightmare.  The data arrives just fine, as long as I follow the guidelines.

Making the switch to a true serial connection, or a good adapter is the way to go. You can run a cheap serial cable 50ft with little to no problems.

• Like 1