ShaneGreen

VinylMaster Cut - create extra weed lines

I've watched a hundred videos, read tutorials, searched the forum, yet I can't seem to figure out how to properly add extra weed lines.

As an example, lets say I'm cutting out a really detailed image in VinylMaster Cut.  I've added a weed box to the image with  "Objects > Add A weed box".  I find after trying to weed the first one that if I ever want to cut it again I need  to add a weed line from the green circle to the blue star.  And then add weed lines from the objects to the weed box.  So I need to add the three red lines shown.

I've tried to use the line drawing tool, but can't seem to make the end nodes snap to the existing objects.  So when it cuts the new lines either A) the lines don't connect  to the object or B ) they slice into the circle and star.  I have "Arrange > Snap To > All" checked, but there doesn't seem to be any snapping taking place.

What am I missing here?

circle star weed lines.png

I'm not sitting in front of my computer that has VM loaded on it, but this sentence seems not to make sense ---

" can't seem to make the end nodes snap to the existing objects"

From what little I know, if the new added line/path ever TOUCHES the existing object, it should become a part of that object's path.

In other words, I don't believe you can have a new path of nodes that contacts directly with the path of other nodes, without joining the two paths.

The reason for this is mathematical. A node path has x-y coordinates that the computer & cutter share, and you are essentially asking the computer to repeat one of those x-y points and start a new path, which it can't do.

2 hours ago, ShaneGreen said:

I've watched a hundred videos, read tutorials, searched the forum, yet I can't seem to figure out how to properly add extra weed lines.

You need PRO or DSR to do this in the Edit module that you can access from a Cut Document. 

Mz Skeeter - It will add a weedbox around the outside.  It also has an "Auto Speed-Weed" setting, but it seldom adds anything but text weeding.  As VinylMaster says, it looks like the options to do any advanced weeding require the PRO version.  The "easy lift-marks" and "perforations" shown in that article aren't available on this version either even though it's an article for "Cut".

Slice&Dice - Thanks for the description of why it won't work.  That helped clear up the reasoning.

VinylMaster - I appreciate you being active on the forums and the sheer amount of instructional information your company puts out there. That being said, your help files are extremely frustrating to use. Why in the world do your instructions not specify which features are available on which software?!?!  I am an Engineer who has spent nearly 15 years in manufacturing and the last 15 in application development, so I've read thousands of manuals, tech briefs and sales sheets and have only come across this a handful of times.  Combined instruction manuals are nothing new, but they almost always have some sort of icon showing you which version of the product has this feature.  It makes for a great subliminal sales tool, each time I look for help I'm told all the benefits of upgrading.  Instead, VinylMaster has opted for a "figure it out for yourself" approach that leaves me scratching my head wondering if I'm doing it wrong or if that feature isn't available to me.

Before asking this question I went to the help manual and read the entry "Speed and Weed Boxes."  Instead of "here is what Cut can do and look what you can do if you upgrade to PRO," I spent 20 minutes trying to find commands and double-clicks that don't exist in my version.  I walked away from my desk completely frustrated and wondering how long it would take to install SignBlazer.

VinylMaster, I appreciate the CUT specific videos and have been back rewatching them this week.  While I haven't run across any of the CUT specific help files, I'm sure when I do I'll be grateful for them.

Wildgoose, forgive me if I stirred up trouble, that was not my intent.  I was trying to point out that by not specifying which functions went with which version, the videos and help files were making it more difficult to adopt the software and leaving new users very frustrated.

I'm going to wander back over to my cluttered corner and go back to figuring out how to manipulate all these pretty little drawings. . .

While I was around when Jerry was still giving support it has been over a decade since we have enjoyed the support of a software vendor like vinylmaster and greatly appreciate all the time they put in at the forum.   

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.