Sign in to follow this  
Glenn Welker

Laserpoint II was working, now nothing

I have called multiple times, played phone tag till I'm blue in the face and have had absolutely no help. I am hoping that someone is capable of helping fix this or return it. Please contact us, we have been trying to work this out with USCutter since 10/9.

The cutter doesn't move the cutting head either from a computer or from the device itself. If I select the test option from the cutter screen, it flashes and does nothing. If I try to connect from the computer, it also does nothing. Otherwise, the cutter seems operational. I can move the cutter head and paper manually. I can also see the device connect when I connect the usb cable.

Please provide anything. HELP.

first this is a user forum - uscutter staff might visit the forum 6 times a year.  the forum is staffed by volunteers that share info and help where they can.  if you cutter will not perform a test cut from the panel on the cutter that indicates deeper problems than we can help with like a mainboard.   moving a carriage by hand with the power on is never a good idea as the electronics may be trying to hold a position while you are forcing a move.  
was your cutter stand grounded to the base of your cutter as the instructions stated?   I ask because you indicate it was working and this time of year we always see damage to mainboards caused by static that builds up in the vinyl and without the ground wire will discharge thru the carriage frying mainboards.   

Did you buy new or used? Seems a bit strange you are asking for help after 2 months.

I'll take a wild shot in the dark here ---- it's possible that the microswitch (known as a Kill Switch or Home Switch) is jammed up. To get to it, you'll have to remove the top off the machine (and before you do that, be aware that it may void any existing warranty).

...we have been trying to work this out with USCutter since 10/9.

Why have you not shipped it back? All you need is a return machine authorization (RMA), and I imagine that a single email could get that done.

23 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

I'll take a wild shot in the dark here ---- it's possible that the microswitch (known as a Kill Switch or Home Switch) is jammed up. To get to it, you'll have to remove the top off the machine (and before you do that, be aware that it may void any existing warranty).

...we have been trying to work this out with USCutter since 10/9.

Why have you not shipped it back? All you need is a return machine authorization (RMA), and I imagine that a single email could get that done.

more than likely not sent back because of restocking fees and buyer pays shipping back on value cutters -  

OP posted when they signed up 6 hrs ago and hasn't been back . . .  hopefully we hear from them and can help with all the nice users on the forum :)

Thanks everyone. You've already helped a thousand times more than support.

I haven't sent it back because I haven't found an RMA form on the site. I have been unable to get anyone on the phone from support. Trust me, I have waited on hold while doing other things multiple times for over 45 minutes.

Yes, it was grounded.

When I stated that I can move the paper and cutter head manually, I meant through the menu options. It seems that advancing the paper, setting pressure and speed as well as the cutting head position all work.

It does seem like a motherboard issue.

Can someone describe where the home/kill microswitch is located?

The kill switch is on the opposite side to where the head usually sets when it's not cutting. Should be red but may not be. 

Is this the endstop on the left end? It is green but seems operational.

Does anyone have a schematic for the board or even simple troubleshooting steps? What do the two red leds represent?

The LPII has an endstop at both ends and yes, it's green on my unit.

I just checked and mine will make the "test" cut from the cutter's control panel even without the usb cord plugged in.  Try unplugging the usb and turn it back on and see if you can run the test cut from the cutter's control panel.  If it still doesn't cut, then we can rule out the USB/computer as the problem.

On 12/8/2017 at 2:26 PM, Glenn Welker said:

The cutter doesn't move the cutting head either from a computer or from the device itself. If I select the test option from the cutter screen, it flashes and does nothing. If I try to connect from the computer, it also does nothing. Otherwise, the cutter seems operational. I can move the cutter head and paper manually. I can also see the device connect when I connect the usb cable.

Please provide anything. HELP.

3 hours ago, Glenn Welker said:

When I stated that I can move the paper and cutter head manually, I meant through the menu options. It seems that advancing the paper, setting pressure and speed as well as the cutting head position all work.

It does seem like a motherboard issue.

Can someone describe where the home/kill microswitch is located?

these two statements contradict each other as I am understanding it - and is important for anyone to understand for troubleshooting - if the unit seems to move the carriage and vinyl from the menu on the plotter then it should make the test cut from the menu on the cutter - that would lead us to the usb drivers for the chipset to communicate with the plotter - Now if as stated in the first post that the menu on the plotter does nothing then I would lean toward a board issue - understanding that exactly is going on helps us to check things in the right direction

They aren't contradicting but I can see how you  would take it that way.

From the LCD panel on the front of the unit.
- All buttons work with the exception of the "TEST" option.
- If test is selected, the screen flashes and does nothing
- The above is true with nothing other than power connected

From a computer
- Nothing happens when sending a cut or an area test
- I can see the USB connection in my devices and because of this, I don't think it is a communication problem.