mchldelf

HELP!! Having issues cutting heat transfer vinyl

I have been cutting oracal vinyl for a long while with no issues until I starting cutting heat transfer. I am using Cad-cut fashion film and the vinyl wants to roll up and miss sections especially near the edges. I have lowered my speed and pressure as much as I can to cut the vinyl. I called UScutter and they suggested I run two passed. That works a bit better but I'm still having the issue and it takes more time to cut with that option. I attached a pic to give you an idea whats happening while cutting. Thanks

effect.jpg

how big is that vinyl?  Why are you using so many pinch rollers? Get that middle pinch roller out of there.   Put 1 pinch roller on each side of the vinyl.   Our Graphtecs only have 2 pinch rollers and they cut fine with that,  My cutter is 30" and only 2 pinch rollers. 

• Like 1

If I don't use the extra pinch roller it's worse and wrinkles up on me. Especially with larger images. I took a video of my issue but its to large for me to send it. Do you use fashion film? I use 15" rolls

36 minutes ago, mchldelf said:

. I took a video of my issue but its to large for me to send it.  

can you upload the video clip to youtube?

23 minutes ago, mb20music said:

can you upload the video clip to youtube?

Great idea! Here is the link. I rotated the cut and it's a bit better but not perfect. I don't have the problem as much, further I get into a piece of vinyl. Seem's like I have the issue closer to the edges. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Put the vinyl even spaced under the pinch rollers, Same distance from each edge.   Left pinch roller looks further on the vinyl than the right pinch roller.  Can't that cutter cut past the right pinch roller?   Can't those phones record horizontal?   I don't understand why people take vertical  clips on phones,, when it barely shows things.  My 2c. 

18 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Put the vinyl even spaced under the pinch rollers, Same distance from each edge.   Left pinch roller looks further on the vinyl than the right pinch roller.  Can't that cutter cut past the right pinch roller?   Can't those phones record horizontal?   I don't understand why people take vertical  clips on phones,, when it barely shows things.  My 2c. 

Yes, it can cut past the pinch rollers. I just had it set up that way. I will preform another cut and video it horizontally a bit later. Thanks for your help. 

Something you maybe want to try is do the same "cut" but this time remove the blade holder from the carriage, that way we can tell if it is the pinch rollers causing it or if you have too much down pressure causing the blade holder to drag on the htv.

Slowing down the speed a little might help too if you haven't already tried that.

I would start with a new sharp blade - and make sure it is with the proper exposure - looks like it is dragging from too much blade and pressure

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, mb20music said:

Something you maybe want to try is do the same "cut" but this time remove the blade holder from the carriage, that way we can tell if it is the pinch rollers causing it or if you have too much down pressure causing the blade holder to drag on the htv.

Slowing down the speed a little might help too if you haven't already tried that.

I will try that. I have already slowed the speed down dramatically. Currently,  the pressure I have it set on cuts the htv perfectly. Any less and I have issues weeding. 

22 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

I would start with a new sharp blade - and make sure it is with the proper exposure - looks like it is dragging from too much blade and pressure

I agree it looks like it's dragging. The blade does have proper exposure and dropping the pressure gives me weeding issues. I will try the new blade after doing a dry run without the blade holder. Also, I never have a problem running oracal. 

Htv is a bit more rubbery than 651 and have more friction on the holder. My guess is more blade less pressure. SLIGHTLY!

I use siser HTV and oracal vinyl--------    

I run 2 and 3 pinch rollers depending on the width for small stuff. But from what i can tell is the blade holder ( purple) is rubbing on the material causing this. I have tested something on my own cutter and it work worked perfect everytime. Take your blade holder out and use a thin washer or o-ring ( which i actually only had a o-ring for your car A/c pipe parts( light green color) . It raises up the blade holder a few mm to give space and i was still able to tighten the blade holder as normal.... Like i said worked perfect on my tests.    If you can find a plastic washer that should work aslo.

1. Also what pressure are you at on that cutter.

2. What cutter is that ?

25 minutes ago, Primal Decals said:

I use siser HTV and oracal vinyl--------    

I run 2 and 3 pinch rollers depending on the width for small stuff. But from what i can tell is the blade holder ( purple) is rubbing on the material causing this. I have tested something on my own cutter and it work worked perfect everytime. Take your blade holder out and use a thin washer or o-ring ( which i actually only had a o-ring for your car A/c pipe parts( light green color) . It raises up the blade holder a few mm to give space and i was still able to tighten the blade holder as normal.... Like i said worked perfect on my tests.    If you can find a plastic washer that should work aslo.

1. Also what pressure are you at on that cutter.

2. What cutter is that ?

It's a Titan cutter. Could I just bring the blade out a bit more? I'm assuming the issues are from the rubbery feel and thinness of the vinyl.

1 hour ago, bikemike said:

Htv is a bit more rubbery than 651 and have more friction on the holder. My guess is more blade less pressure. SLIGHTLY!

So, your saying to bring the blade out a bit more and drop the pressure? 

• Like 1

Use ms skeeters instructions for blade depth, but do it with the htv. You will feel the difference.

• Like 1

@mchldelf i use a titan 2 . If your blade holder ( Purple casing )  is using to much down pressure grams from the cutter  it can cause it to grab( hold) and cause a ( i call it a pivot point ) like what it did in your video causing it to hold on one side and push the other side.        What pressure are you at as well. I know each cutter will be at different grams but i am curious ... If needed i can talk to you on the phone as well. I will send my number to you

Do use Mz Skeeters suggestion for setting blade depth for a starting point . I did the same thing but made an extra adjustment beyond that. 

• Like 1

as @Primal Decals was saying.... he had to raise his tool holder on his titan 2 to keep something similar as your issues from happening with some glitter vinyl he was just cutting. we had been discussing something similar to this for my cutter because I bought a couple cheap tool holders off of ebay that the knurl lock ring hits my carriage and doesn't tighten up correctly on the tool holder. the dry run with out the tool holder will tell more.

and @Primal Decals, I believe your slipping. even old blind woody could tell that was a titan... lol

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, mchldelf said:

So, your saying to bring the blade out a bit more and drop the pressure? 

20 hours ago, bikemike said:

Use ms skeeters instructions for blade depth, but do it with the htv. You will feel the difference.

start with this from skeeter:

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should just barely  see and feel the blade tip out of the blade holder. You only cut with the very tip of the blade. 

4 hours ago, cardudenc said:

and @Primal Decals, I believe your slipping. even old blind woody could tell that was a titan... lol

Haha   ---I actually seen a cutter yesterday in a tattoo shop when i was out of town  that had the same color of the titan carriage, there was no label or name anywhere on  the cutter and it wasnt a titan. the display was even really strange looking with numbers not words . The cutter itself was black and grey and the cutting strip was huge.

I cut a LOT of HTV. The Fashion Film is pretty much the same as Siser Stretch. HTV and especially the stretchier variants need a really fresh blade and I would go so far as to say get a higher quality blade than the cheap stuff. Clean-Cut makes a great blade and I think there are premium blades available in the US Cutter website. 

Set the new blade like Dakota said a couple posts above and then use just enough pressure to get the job done. The plastic carrier as well as the stretchy HTV just have more give than other products. Higher end cutters have a suction that helps to hold vinyl down when it's running. 

• Like 2

I was having the same issue, i purchased a used Titan so I don’t have to use my small cutter for lg quantities, but I found that I still have to place my htv on a sticky mat and adjusted the settings on my titan so it doesn’t cut through the htv and my mat. I also attached craft paper so I can get as close to my 15” wide by 12” long cut. 

Edited by 91_Designs

5 minutes ago, 91_Designs said:

I was having the same issue, i purchased a used Titan so I don’t have to use my small cutter for lg quantities, but I found that I still have to place my htv on a sticky mat and adjusted the settings on my titan so it doesn’t cut through the htv and my mat. I also attached craft paper so I can get as close to my 15” wide by 12” long cut. 

if you are cutting thru you have way too much blade exposed

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, 91_Designs said:

26 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

if you are cutting thru you have way too much blade exposed

It wasn’t cutting through at all. After each test run it cut perfectly but when running a job it would drag my htv and f’d up the whole sheet. So my only alternative was to use the sticky mat (adjusted the force) and now i can basically use the htv almost from edge to edge. Still have to precut sheets no longer than 12-13 inches, so continuous cuts are out but little to no wasted vinyl