Chriscarp746

New Business Laptop

On 11/26/2017 at 1:53 PM, Chriscarp746 said:

Am I understanding this correctly? That I should have a cheaper computer for cutter operation and that only. What about design software, wouldn't I need more ram

to run the software?

too many great deals for under $100.      Where can I get a computer for under $100?

No, what you have now is plenty for vector graphic design. Inkscape is a free vector program you can download and give a try. It is a bit slow starting up, but once is running it runs great.

yep, that's the only issue that came from windows 10 or an update. now running these programs with only 2gb ram has caused some. that's the best  @Primal Decals and I can come up with. comp or programs lock up or shut dn , working with AI open, cut program open, with maybe more than 1 open, and possibly vector magic and a internet window open = boom , a lock down or shut down. Vinyl master definitely doesn't like having several documents/ work page open at a time. it constantly has a pop up coming up telling me it needs to close.

Not sure how it directly relates to this thread, but when I first started using a computer back in the 1990's I read a book by David Pogue (Macs for Dummies) which had all sorts of cool information about file hierarchies and organizing the contents of the Hard Drive, working inside various programs, and troubleshooting. One thing that was mentioned is FONTS have a bad tendency of causing system-wide issues (especially when the Font file is corrupted). I've never forgotten that advice, and one of the things that saved my computer from random crashes (Sad Macs, Bombs, and Other Disasters) was FontFirstAid that scanned and fixed (or quarantined) bad Font suitcases.

https://fix-fonts-folder.en.softonic.com/

This is a Free utility for Windows (it says for up to Win98, but I was able to load it onto WinXP and Win7 machines)

ive always worried about getting something while dn loading fonts. when I'm adding fonts I usually make sure my anti virus is up to date or updated before dn loading.

I will doing as most have mentioned when I get my new laptop up and going, using it Only with the cutter , and using the comp I'm on right now for dn loading whatever I need off the web and what ever else I need

On 5/11/2021 at 7:21 PM, FirstChild said:

Can anyone tell me what I should get, a laptop or a desktop?

A gaming laptop is preferable to a notebook because it is more convenient and less expensive. I was looking for a gaming laptop a year ago and came across one for a great deal. I purchased the laptop, and after three weeks, I began to have problems and neck pain. When I went to the hospital, they advised me to change positions when working on a laptop. After that, I went on the lookout for a laptop stand. I looked at many choices and found the best one here: https://smartlaptopstands.com/ The agony is gone now that I'm using this laptop stand. I hope I was of assistance to everyone!

25 minutes ago, FirstChild said:

What are you using it for?   You don't need a fancy computer to run a vinyl cutter.  Older good computers can be picked up cheap.   I am still on a 2006 Toshiba laptop using  Windows XP.   Used almost daily with a Graphtec.  Always best to have a dedicated computer, just for vinyl cutting. 

10 hours ago, FirstChild said:

Since you're not the OP,  you might what want to tell us a little about the use of it. Are you just using it to fun the cutter? Are you using it to also run financials for your business? What's your budget? Do you really need the portability of a laptop? any other pertinent info?

Just know that if you get a Win10 machine, there is no way to stop the machine from periodically downloading and installing updates. There are times where the updates do not affect the performance or connectivity from your PC to your cutter, and there are other times when it can

There are so many possibilities nowadays and you are asking for help here? Man, I don't know exactly what laptop do you need, what characteristics and so on, but I know for sure that if you are looking for a laptop for business purposes, you are mainly aiming for a productive and secure laptop, so, a MacBook.

HaHa, Skeetz, the troll gotcha!

By the way, in case anyone really is interested, pricing on an older Dell with XP has gone up to around $100 - $150.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234301814020 (with legacy serial port DB9)

These older laptops are fine for powering a cutter, especially if you want to use the actual COM port (instead of USB).

And while we are here --- this is the link for older (unsupported) software which has all the functionality required to run cutters and provides basic design capability.
http://www.uscuttersupport.com/downloads/Software/SignBlazer/signblazer_setup.exe

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

HaHa, Skeetz, the troll gotcha!

Troll didn't get me at all.  I reported their other post for SPAM   HA! HA!   This one went down also.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Troll didn't get me at all.  I reported their other post for SPAM   HA! HA!   This one went down also.  

Yeah they got a bonk on the head. No spammers allowed!

• Thanks 1