girlonthem00n

Software?

Hey everyone! 

So I'm brand new to the forum, just found it a few days ago and have been going through older posts trying to educate myself on a few things. I've been thinking about starting my own cutting business for over a year now and have been doing research on equipment and tools needed. By trade, I'm a graphic designer and I have made decal files for a company I used to work for so I'm familiar with the initial file setup and would say I'm an advanced user in Illustrator and Photoshop. After making the .eps file, I would always pass it off to our print room operator and he would actually run the file and would produce the decal. Because of this, I don't really know which cutting software is the best to work with or if the software that ships with the cutter is sufficient.

I'm pretty sure I've decided on the Graphtec CE6000 Plus and I see that it comes with the Graphtec Studio Software and the Cutting Master 3 Plugin. On USCutter they offer an add-on of SignCut Pro Lifetime for an extra +$269. Is that something worth getting or does it not really offer much more than the Graphtec Studio can do? I've been having trouble finding a decent software guide where I can compare features and would love to have some advice based on your experience. Any other advice on must-have purchases would be greatly appreciated, are any of the other add-ons worth it?

Apologies if this is asked often - I tried to do a search on the forums and couldn't find the exact info so I figured I'd just ask directly. Thanks in advance for any advice!

If you use Illustrator you don't need Signcut.    Cutting Master programs have plugins to just send the Illustrator files to cut.   You will be very happy with any Graphtec that you choose..   When you purchase a new Graphtec,  you can actually get a FREE version of Graphtec Studio Pro, that is very much like Flexisignpro, but without printer drivers, which is a SUPER great deal.  You just follow their Graphtec link and enter in your serial number for your cutter.   That's pretty close to $1000 software. I only use Flexi products.   It is not like the regular Graphtec Studio that is on the Graphtec site...

https://www.graphtecamerica.com/cp-graphtec-pro-studio-request-form/

• Like 1

Thanks MZ! That's what I was thinking based on the stuff that I'd read but I'm glad to have confirmation that I don't need to buy any extra software. Also, thank you so much for the link! I'm feeling pretty confident about the Graphtec just based on lurking through this forum for the past few days. Seems like the brand is pretty well recommended around here and they make pretty solid machines. 

Full disclosure: I actually pulled the trigger last night and purchased the 24" CE6000 with the free heat press. This morning I had one of those 'oh man what if I really do need that software and I didn't do my research well enough' moments. I've been thinking about doing this for so long and had a little panic after I finally pressed the complete order button so I felt I needed a little confirmation from some people who have experience. I also snagged a weeding kit, an application tape roller and the starter kit of the Oracal 651 and 631 vinyl to play around with. If you can think of any other supplies that would be good to have for a new startup, I'd love to know. 

Hey Hey! Congrats.

This is a nice thing to own ---  (WalMart or Dollar store)

8691cdd6-701c-41d5-8fcf-8207e4a972f2_1.5

Skeeter, Graphtec Studio Pro has no dedicated cutting interface for the machine? It''s just design software, and you have to cut using something else? Can you clarify this?

Never looked up what a weeding kit is.. I just have an exacto knife, bought 100  #11 blades,, (they last forever,) pointed down sharp tweezers, pin cushion with basting or smaller needles, and scissors,tape measure.   All I do is decals.  Nothing else.  Mostly large outside decals. 

Weeding & Application Starter Kit

Includes:

• A 12in. by 10 yard roll of High Tack Application Tape (TransferRite 592U)
  • A 6in. by 10 yard roll of Medium Tack Application Tape (TransferRite 1310G)
  • A 5 pack of Chiz'lers - for vinyl removal as well as application in tight corners
  • An Excel K1 light duty utility knife with cap
  • A package of 15 Excel blades
  • An 8 oz. bottle of Splash concentrate - makes 1 gallon of application fluid
  • A chemical resistant spray bottle
  • 2 Rolls of 3/4 inch masking tape
  • A 5 pack of application squeegees
  • A deluxe rubber-edged '3H' style squeegee
  • A Deluxe USCutter felt squeegee

I have Flexidesigner 10, which looks just like it,  only I don't have cutter drivers, I use my Flexistarter to cut with.  But Flexidesigner10  does have printer drivers.  

"Here is the software,  yes it includes cutting"  ........ "which is like Flexisignpro, but with no cutting drivers."      I looked back and noticed you had said printer drivers, so that's what I'm going with !!!!  We're all getting old.

YoureGettingOld-e1361483965781.jpg

@slice&dice I already have one of those multi-use bucket things under my kitchen sink! Might have to repurpose it. :D 

So I got this weeding kit: http://www.uscutter.com/USCutter-Knife-Squeegee-Tools I actually already have several exacto knifes so I really didn't need the included one but at $20 I figured the other tools could be good to have too. I was looking at those larger kits like the one you posted and decided to buy some of those things individually since they were on sale right now since there were a few things in the kit I already own. Although I missed the Chizlers...never seen those before. 

I have app tape in  6", 9', 12" ,15" ,18' ,24" and 30"  wide x 100 yd  long for all of my orders.   And I started with 10 yrd  rolls of vinyl. But as soon as I made an order I changed all of my rolls to 50 yrd rolls. x 24" or 30" wide.  I have a 30" Graphtec.   I don't run out of supplies.   i sell online only. 

Hello and welcome to the addiction. :lol: 

Great choice on the cutter. I will serve you well. 

I am a dedicated AI user as well and you will find a few of us around the forum. I tell most hapless newbies to avoid AI for obvious learning curve and cost reasons but if you know your way around it it's the best (IMO) for most things. Do you work on mac or pc? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wildgoose said:

Hello and welcome to the addiction. :lol: 

Great choice on the cutter. I will serve you well. 

I am a dedicated AI user as well and you will find a few of us around the forum. I tell most hapless newbies to avoid AI for obvious learning curve and cost reasons but if you know your way around it it's the best (IMO) for most things. Do you work on mac or pc? 

Thanks for the welcome! That's great to hear that AI is the best in your opinion! I'll be using a PC for my home office. I also use macs but I'm in the minority when it comes to designers on which one they prefer (PC for me). I'm looking forward to learning new tricks with it. So far I've only done pretty basic cutpaths on printed decals but I'm looking forward to advancing in this area.  

To tell the truth for cutter work it's all very simplistic anyway. There are things that are a PIA with AI for instance a true block shadow is a lot more work than it should be. If you get stumped feel free to post up or send a pm and I'll gladly help out. I try to be extra helpful to AI users (being biased I guess). 

• Like 1