AmberK

Looking for advice for a new purchase

My name is Amber and I am looking to purchase my first vinyl cutter. It seems as though I am looking for either the laser point II or the sc series. I am looking for something with the contour ability. I work off pc, so it appears either would be fine, but curious about the software as well.  I'm wanting to create signs, shirts, glass etching, decals and probably anything I can. Any advice to a newbie on which machine & software to purchase and why would be much appreciated.

Has anyone tiled with the smaller models? & which software is better for tiling with the smaller model? I don't have much room for a larger machine & since the silhouette cameo is pretty much same price. Thought, go bigger or home...if applicable. 

Thanks much for any suggestions. 

-Amber

The new baby-blue SC2 is unquestionably the best value out there right now for a beginner. Why? Because you'll repay the cost in your first few jobs.

$300. Sale Price (24") including the efficient VM design/cut software.

If you've been a good girl this year, I think Santa will honor your request for one.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard AmberK, glad to have you here.

I have an older model SC and it has been a great machine.  I have had no problems with it.

Cal

All of the budget models you name can probably do a counter cut that is manually aligned however a true contour cut machine requires an optical eye system and is typically included in the upper end machines. You won't get the accuracy with manual alignment but many seem to get passable results.

If it were me I would choose the new SC as well. The original SC seems to be a good value and I think the new model is likely an improvement. Just avoid the MH IMO. There rest will get the job done and if your business takes off you will be upgrading soon anyway. Go 24" for sure. Too limiting to use a smaller machine. 

Most of the posts you read about using the laser pointer on the LP2 the users often tend to end up just aligning the blade the same as you would on an SC or other version. I doubt you will do a lot of contour cutting unless you do a lot of printed shirt transfers. I still hand trim most of my shirt transfers even though I have a $3500 cutter. 

• Like 1

Wildgoose, you funny guy! You have described the contour cutting feature perfectly!

The-Original-Orange-Handled-Scissors-8_w

• Haha 1

Seems like very newbie gets hung up on the contour cut idea. Unless you are going to buy a high end cutter (and truthfully also a printer) it's really a wasted concern. That's why I think the laser pointer tricks them into thinking it's something it's really not. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wildgoose said:

Seems like very newbie gets hung up on the contour cut idea. Unless you are going to buy a high end cutter (and truthfully also a printer) it's really a wasted concern. That's why I think the laser pointer tricks them into thinking it's something it's really not. 

Agreed. In the last 6 or 7 years, I have used it maybe twice. And both times where just for gag gifts.

• Like 3