Hurricane Mark

Which vinyl has the strongest adhesive?

I am new to vinyl cutting. I purchased the Silhouette Cameo 3. I am experimenting with sandblasting onto glass mugs. (80 grit aluminum oxide in a blast cabinet)

I am currently using 651 vinyl which weeds very easily but my designs are very detailed and in some images I have small parts of the design that are having trouble staying adhered to the glass when i sandblast. Granted, I am fully aware that the air pressure is an issue and I am adjusting it to dial it the correct pressure to use. I will blast the same design and say 2 out of the 5 glasses one or two small areas of vinyl will fly off during blasting process....sometimes before i even begin to blast the small pieces will shift or move or just won't stay stuck on the glass.

I am applying it with transfer tape and putting pressure on it on the glass with a combination of a squeegee and my fingers.

My question is, is there a vinyl out there with stronger adhesive properties than 651? If so, what do you suggest?

I actually use the Green Star vinyl for blasting. It's a little thicker and hold up a little better to the abuse. I also use it because the adhesive is LESS so it comes back off much easier. Especially if you hold it under warm water when removing. I think you just have too much pressure or are getting too close with your nozzle. Stay 6"-8" away. I use the trigger gun that came in the cabinet and regulate the thrust somewhat with the trigger but also have a pressure adjustment valve mounted on the back of my cabinet and run mine around 35lbs for glass work. You really don't need that high especially if you are just frosting things. If you start carving deeper maybe a little higher. 

• Like 2

You might try letting the glasses sit a day or two with the decal applied and give the adhesive time to really setup. Also, a good cleaning of the glass with rubbing alcohol will help get a good stick.

• Like 1

The above is good advise.

You did not tell us what pressure you were using, or how long you are letting the gun stay in one place.

I use 50-60# on glass, using Oracal 651- but I keep the gun moving.

Less detail is better IMO, or at least less small detail.

When I do glass work, I go over the design 4 times, but I am moving quickly.   I move the gun from left to right.

Pass 1, holding the glass upright and turning the glass as needed.

Pass 2, holding the glass upside down and turning it as needed.

Pass 3, holding the glass horizontally by the bottom and rolling the glass around &

Pass 4, holding the glass horizontally by the top and rolling the glass around.

This is four quick passes to be sure that the design is done evenly, especially at the edges.

Here is a set of flight glasses with a very simple design.  Total time in the blast cabinet for each glass was probably in the 30-40 second range for all four passes.

Cal

IMG_1500.jpg

• Like 1