Chriscarp746

Hello, Newbie for Ohio

Hello (from Ohio) everyone out there in the vinyl decal world. I've learned in the last couple days just looking around here that the decal world could be a science of it's own. My wife and I are thinking about 

starting a small T-shirt/craft business. Nothing too big,  just a way to make a little side cash. She is more interested in the wood craft, stencil ideas and I think I'm more into the T-shirts. I don't want to invest a million bucks into anything just yet but I have about $1,000 just to get started. Were looking at the "sign shop start up packages". We've watched some videos that have the Cameo 3 vinyl cutter

and seem to like it because of all the different materials that it can cut. I'm sure some of you have some ideas for the "Newbie" as to where to start. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Remember, we're new and have no experience, so what would be an easy start up package?  

Thanks 

Chris

Welcome aboard Chris.  I cannot help with the Cameo 3 or T Shirts either, sorry about that.

I might be able to answer questions about stencils on wood though.  I have done a bit of that.

I am sure there will be some folks along who can offer some specifics for you,

Cal

3 hours ago, clhyer said:

Welcome aboard Chris.  I cannot help with the Cameo 3 or T Shirts either, sorry about that.

I might be able to answer questions about stencils on wood though.  I have done a bit of that.

I am sure there will be some folks along who can offer some specifics for you,

Cal

She is looking at these types of crafts. Is there any special vinyl or anything out of the ordinary to which we should use?

Screenshot_20171121-075134.png

I do about what you are wanting to start. T-shirts are a great business opportunity. The crafts and other vinyl are fun but at the end of the day EVERYONE wants and in fact NEEDS a T-Shirt so it sort of builds itself.  Whatever machine you decide to go with you will soon find that you will need something better. I started with a Creation P-Cut which are no longer offered but were similar to the Laser Point 2 cutters now on the website. It got me by for a couple years however the upgrade was AMAZING and now I wonder how I survived with the budget cutter. If you decide to go a full sized unit I suggest going at least a step above the MH bottom of the barrel. The SC seems solid. The LP2 is solid for a budget cutter although the laser pointer is pointless IMO and just a gimmick. The Titan cutters seem to do pretty good too. In the end if you can scrape enough together to get a CE6000 that would be your best bet although the cutter alone is well over your starting budget. 

The swing out heat press is a decent performer. I still have mine in my garage as a backup. Clams are a little cheaper but less fun to work with. Alignment of your vinyl on the garment is the real trick and a swing out lets you see the product better. 

Good luck!

I have a friend that bought a 15" cutter just a few months ago and within 3 months was upgrading to bigger cutter - a 24" gives you much more capability. a personal recomendation would be to go up to at least a titan series (even though the titan2  servo motor is a better choice yet for quiet and servos are very accurate)  here is the titan 1 28" with stand on sale right now for a great price  http://www.uscutter.com/TITAN-Vinyl-Cutter-28-53-inch    for heat press I would start with a 16x20 so you can do shirts up in the larger sizes (3x, 4x)  I have never used this one but looks like it fits all the items I look for in a press like over the center pressure adjustment and a sturdy handle design (if you keep doing it in a couple years hotronix and mighty make very sturdy presses but would be way out of the budget starting out)  http://www.uscutter.com/Large-15-3-4-x-19-5-8-Clamshell-Heat-Press

Keep in mind I am not an employee of USCutter just one of the volunteer moderators that has been around a few years 

• Like 2

Well I guess I was right. I was afraid of that. If I bought small, I'd regret it in just a short time and want to upgrade. That's exactly why I posted this question. I like that you mentioned the Titan 1 28". That was my second option. Now for software. I'll be using just an everyday household computer that's only about 2 yrs old. I'm guessing that will suffice

for now but the software that comes with the Titan, does it have everything I need to start making T-shirt logos and not just lettering and cheap looking clip art. I want to make some

local school shirts like team/school logos with the hopes of getting a school contract after a year or two experience.  

Oh and one more thing I almost forgot. I want a better quality shirt blanks obsessively if I'm looking to get a decent school contract. Do I want 

100% cotton, polyester, or a blend. and is there a good shirt supplier on the net? 

Thanks again

Chris

for the software I would suggest the vinylmaster option - your computer will handle it fine

I like a 6 oz cotton shirt personally and have a tax licence so I order the port and company shirts from sanmar - if you don't have a license try jiffyshirts until you do- the gildan from there will get you going nicely until you get the license 

Hello and welcome from Florida.