cole holderbaum

High temp vinyl

I was wondering If anyone could help me out. I’m gettin ready to powder coat some stainless RTIC cups and was woundering what type of vinyl I need to make a high temp sticker for a logo on the cup.

I used own a powdercoat shop and was surprised to find that a good outdoor vinyl would hold up fine in the oven.  I didn't have a cutter at the time and a local sign shop cut me a number of flames out of scrap he had.  A couple things to watch:

- very thin pieces may start to curl up in the oven.  Make your designs chunky.

- The adhesive can be hard to get off.  I was doing ghost flames so I had to do a first coat with the decal on, remove the decal and do a second coat.  If there is any residue left the powder will flake off when it's baked.

- Watch for hotspots in your oven. The vinyl will shrink a little and a hot spot will make it shrink a lot and possibly curl.  My oven was 4x4x6ft and I had to use the fan to keep the heat even enough for the vinyl to not curl.

Are you wanting to use the vinyl just as a stencil? If so, I've found that if you put the cup in just long enough to get the powder to flow, then pull it out, let it cool a little then remove the vinyl and stick it back in for the full cure it works quite well. Timing on removing the vinyl is key. If it is too hot adhesive residue gets left on the cup and is a pain to get off after the full bake. However if you wait till the vinyl and powder are too cold removing the vinyl is harder and the lines are not as crisp. For designs with a lot of pieces to remove I will use a heat gun to keep the vinyl and powder in the sweet spot for removal.

If you're putting the decal on to stay and then clear coating over it, I have not tried that yet, but I've read online where most powders can be baked at a slightly lower temperature for a longer period of time. There are also some lower temperature clear coats that cure as low as 325 to 350.

Don't think I'd want to try reflective as a stencil, that stuff is a pain in the butt to removed, rips real easy.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2017 at 4:15 PM, darcshadow said:

Don't think I'd want to try reflective as a stencil, that stuff is a pain in the butt to removed, rips real easy.

3m 5100r ... r is for removable (kinda)

I do this on a daily basis... Oracal 631 is the best I have ever used... you put the decal on then cook for 3 mins let cool remove decal when the cup is around 115 degrees then put back in oven for full cure... I do this everyday