Archer

MH 721 A request for the USB device descriptor failed.

Slice.

Whether it gets me up and running or not I greatly appreciate all the help from everyone.

Also something new, not only am i getting the device not recognized with the yellow triangle  I an getting another usb listing It says USB Serial converter and that it's working properly

The one not recognized is on Port_#0004.Hub_#0003

and the one working is on Port_#0002.Hub_#0003  

but still no luck on bringing the cutter to life.

I am going to un install VM and re-install but before I do I will shut down the USB security thing and see if that makes a difference

Ok so some progress I loaded SigneBlazer back on the tower computer and used the  Red sail RS 360C driver as MZ SKEETER suggested and it works I need to make some test cuts to make sure but the cutter did come to life.

Now I'm going to try to use some other drivers with VM

We're Getting closer.

Yep.

I kinda figured SB would work. The creator of that software, Jerry Bonham, was a programming wizard, and he understood plotter language (HPGL) perfectly, which was how he was able to provide drivers for basically every machine out there.   (My bad for not mentioning that USCUTTER-specific models weren't listed in the UK-hybrid v7.0.0, but Skeetz covered me on that!! )

So, where are you at now? This is a challenge to be conquered!!!

WoooooHooooooo I got the VinylMaster pro to work I need to do some test cuts but it appeared to go threw the motions of my last lettering job correctly without a knife in it.

I started loading different drivers into it and the USCUTTER SC - 25 in seems to work.

So as it stands right now both SB and VM are working.

I can't thank everyone enough for all the help.

I am going to load some vinyl and give it back its knife and see if it behaves

Archer, that makes my day. Very cool.

And you got a bonus out of all this -- no more nag screens at startup of SBE.

Of course, now you'll have to migrate away from SBE, since Vinyl Master Pro is the program you'll be using mostly from now on. Yeah, I know PITA learning curve and all that...

Tip:  Open and then Export your SB files (as needed) in .eps format and then Import into VM, they'll work fine.

Well, my problem is solved. The full restore did not work. It turned out to be a bad USB connection. I found some corrosion on the underside of the motherboard between the solder points. I cleaned them up with a fine point ceramic tip and scraped off the corrosion. Plugged it back in and back in business! 

IMG_20171116_132800.jpg

H1P1N3 -- It turned out to be a bad USB connection. I found some corrosion on the underside of the motherboard between the solder points. I cleaned them up with a fine point ceramic tip and scraped off the corrosion. Plugged it back in and back in business! 

Excellent news to hear you figured it out on your own by disassembling the entire machine, coming up with that solution is beyond my pay grade!  :lol:

Hello everyone, I’m hoping to get some assistance with the very same issue. I’ve just inherited an mh 721 cutter from a friend whom uses it a couple of times and got bored never used it since. Unfortunately they lost the driver disk, ive downloaded and tried just about all of the drivers available from various sources over the last week or so with no joy, I’m having the same issue when I connect it via the Ian cable I get the usb device not recognised message in device manager. When I connect it via a prolific usb to serial adaptor (not sure it’s the correct one, pls see images)I see the adaptor in device manager but still can’t see it as a plotter/printer/cutter. I’m tearing my hair out here ha. I’m currently downloading signblazer. But have a few questions. I know this is a finished thread but I’d really love some help and be eternally grateful if I could get an idiots guide to how this was solved! As a side note before I stumbled across this thread I did remove the usb circuit board and there’s no sign of any damage, not to say it hasn’t malfunction but no visual indication. Thank you I’m advance guys

2 hours ago, Darren mazey said:

image.jpg

image.jpg

2 things obviously the driver for the chipset in that cable is not installed . . .  part 2 there is a reason we all recommend the tripplite brand adapter - proven to work.  part 3 the refine mh series cutter that this thread refers to it uses a null modem serial cable and a regular serial cable won't work.  many people get them working by downloading the serial to usb chipset driver in the support section of uscutter and using a short usb cable - not as good as the tripplite but usually gets people going

Thank you for your reply, Sorry I should have Explained the pictures a little better, the serial cable auto installs the prolific driver when I use it I just added the picture of that cable wondering if anyone could tell me if it should work or not. The device manager photo is what I get if I use the standard non serial USB cable that came with the machine. I have installed the USB drivers but no matter what o do the pc doesn't see the cutter

Thanks again for the reply, that article is not showing on my phone,  just the page header and footer.I will take a look when I get back to my office.

I'm at a junction I think I either need to buy this cable?

Keyspan Usb High-speed Serial Adapter 230kbps Pc/mac https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0000VYJRY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_QoayAbTHGKCZQ

or buy a replacement USB/Serial printed circuit board. They're both the same price but I'm not 100% sure which most likely solves it. 

don't forget with any serial adapter like the keyspan you need a null modem serial cable to make it work - the keyspan has proven far more stable than any other usb solution on the value cutters

The plotter will NOT show up in your device screen. The USB device that you install is a comm port not a printer/plotter. Look in your comm port listings and you should see your new comm port. Plug your null modem cable into your adapter and point your software to the comm port number that you see in device manager and you should be good to go.

Some software limits the comm port numbers you can use so you might need to change the comm port number through the device manager page.

• Like 1

Thanks for your input. Yes I can see the serial to com port adaptor in the device manager, I set it to com port 2 pointed the software to that port. I got nothing. I found one of the pins to the motherboard had snapped on the bottom of the USB port, I'm unsure whether this would also affect the serial port, but I've ordered a replacement USB circuit board, hopefully this will resolve the issue for me. Thank you for your help this far.

To fix unknown USB device (device descriptor request failed), just disable the Fast Startup by following these steps:

• Go to the START > Type RUN in the search bar and hit ENTER.
  • Then, run dialog box will get open, type there Control Panel and hit OK.
  • In Control Panel, in the search box type Power options.
  • Select the Change what the power buttons do > Change settings that are currently unavailable > Shutdown settings > Turn on fast startup (recommended).
  • Now, just click on Save changes and Reboot the device.

I hope after finishing these steps your USB device request failed error will be resolves. Good luck...