KDM_Freak

Design Help

Hey everyone!

So I been messing with a custom design my cousin had made for me to turn into a single color vinyl decal. Im using a titan 2 with sure cuts a lot 3 on a MacBook pro. I don't have any fancy software and was googling a few free vector sites to see if i can transform the image. Unfortunately nothing I have come to works and honestly I'm getting a little frustrated with myself because I had done this before but don't remember how I did it. Im here to learn from you guys, not have anyone do the work for me. (its been a few weeks now and I finally decided to turn to the forums lol) I will attach the image and what I'm getting in the software and maybe someone can kindly walk me threw the steps of fixing my mess. 

IMG_2083.jpeg

make the original darker, so it will pick it up.  If you use a bad design to start with, your not going to get good results. 

1 minute ago, MZ SKEETER said:

make the original darker, so it will pick it up.  If you use a bad design to start with, your not going to get good results. 

I should have been more detailed. That was one step I tried but the problem is in the drawing there is some shadowing or something since the background isn't transparent. So Im assuming I should print this drawing & trace it with a sharpie or something along those lines then get a clean snapshot of it and bring it back into the computer?

The bezier tool is your friend.  Autotrace fails enough, that by the time you get the bitmap dark enough, change the autotrace settings, rinse and repeat until it is close, you could have just manually redrawn the thing.

If you are no good with bezier tool, now is a great chance to gain proficiency.  It will serve well into the future.  After 20 minutes or so, it's as easy as tracing a picture with crayons.

Here I took about five minutes and got this start.

crown.svgcrown.svg

yJZqlPN.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dcbevins said:

The bezier tool is your friend.  Autotrace fails enough, that by the time you get the bitmap dark enough, change the autotrace settings, rinse and repeat until it is close, you could have just manually redrawn the thing.

If you are no good with bezier tool, now is a great chance to gain proficiency.  It will serve well into the future.  After 20 minutes or so, it's as easy as tracing a picture with crayons.

Here I took about five minutes and got this start.

crown.svgcrown.svg

yJZqlPN.png

I never heard of that tool so I apologize for not understanding what you are saying. Is that a part of my SCAL3 or is it apart of an outside program. I appreciate the input and hoping to finish this project with less frustration lol 

I don't have SCALP, but the bezier tool is common in most vector applications, though name and function can vary.  I think it is called the Draw tool in SCALP.  Draw tool starts at 6:47.  I used CorelDraw on my sample.  Inkscape would do just as well.  Looking at that tutorial, the Draw tool in SCALP seems to be a bezier pen of sorts.

You can always try vectormagic.com bud. You can buy the standalone program, or you can use it on the website. So many times are free, or you can get a monthly subscription. 

Wow. Just realized this is an old thread and was brought up because somebody was putting their site on here to sell stuff. No sure if it’s allowed or whatever. Dakota?

• Like 1