Sign in to follow this  
JK3

Die or Perf cutting with the CE5000

I have a CE5000-60 and just reading the manual it doesn't seem like it will do die cutting (perf cutting, whatever you want to call it) to cut preprinted stickers completely out of the vinyl because it will destroy the machine.  But reading the forums it sounds like maybe you can put a mat in the machine so you can safely cut all the way through the backing?    If this is the case, can anyone point me to such a mat?  If it's not, beat me over the head with your virtual bat.   Thanks in advance!

I'm even more confused now, because looking at the CE6000 specs on the graphtec site, the image here:

supports_perforation_cutting.jpg

Seems to suggest that Die cuts are perfectly possible and fine on the CE5000, only the perforation cuts are new with the 6000.   I don't care about perforations, I just want to die cut out stickers.    If that's the case, for Oracal 651, what settings are you guys using to cut all the way through the backing?

Don't know how the 6000 does it, but if you are going to try it on a 5000 without a cutting mat, order a LOT of blades and cutting strips. You will destroy both every time you do it.

The picture does not show the 5000 will do it, it states the whole thing is new. IMO.

The CE6000,, has 2 positions in the tool holder. Front and back.  When you put the blade holder in the front of the tool holder, the blade will not be over the cutting strip to damage it. It is also for the pen tool.  There is a rail there, so that it cuts into a groove and not on the cutting strip.   The CE5000 does not have that. Without a cutting mat you will damage your cutting strip. 

ce6000.jpg

So you just throw a cutting mat in under the roll of vinyl and it will work?  I thought there was a vacuum sucking down the vinyl, which I'm assuming the mat would block? 

Thank you for the clarifications, by the way, very helpful!

Your welcome...I have never used a cutting mat, but many people have, to cut scraps and thinner/thicker vinyl. etc.   The cutting mat has a light adhesive on it to hold the vinyl in place.  

Wonderful.  Now all I have to do is fix my machine.  I literally just destroyed it somehow, it seems.    I was trying to update the firmware but pressing < and > while powering it on and all I was getting was USB 8, not "update machine".      So I did a system reset, powering on with ^ and now I can't get it to connect to the computer via USB.   Actually Windows 7 recognizes the machine, but I can't use the controller software and the machine goes kind of haywire and cuts a bunch of random letters in my vinyl when on HP-GL.   Getting the GP-GL error 1 as soon as I plug it in, and HP-GL error 1 if I switch it to HP-GL (and the haywire issues) either way when USB is plugged in.    I can try serial, but right now I'm stuck.  UGH

If it was running fine, you should have left it alone... Owned my Graphtec 9 years,  I have never updated the firm ware.   It works great... 

Maybe try a whole new install driver set up. And start over.  You never mentioned which cutting software you were using.   I only use Flexi soft wares. 

I was using flexi.  I should have left it alone, you're right.  Hopefully I can at least use it with a serial cable.  I don't get why this would happen.   If USB isn't plugged in, it seems to operate normally.

Seeing as how your messed up.  I found this for going back on firm ware.  Now this is on a CE6000.  A guy did the same thing.  upgraded the firmware and messed his cutter up.   He needed to go back. 

"Download the firmware 2.00, 1.90 or 1.80 and and choose the firmware you want.
NB : Dont press "print" yet

On the cutter/plotter
1. Load the media ether of a roll or a sheet in the cutter/plotter.
2. Press the RIGHT ARROW key and the LEFT ARROW key simultaneously while the power of the cutter/plotter is turned on. 
The following message is displayed in the LCD -->   " PLEASE SEND PRG. "

Then press "PRINT" on the software and the software will send the firmware to the cutter.

When it is finished, the LCD display  "xxxKB COMPLETED " and it restarts.

My cutter still has some issues after the downgrade. And maby I will get an mainboard replacement..".

From this thread

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?/topic/47925-graphtec-ce6000-60-firmware/&_fromLogin=1

Right, the problem I have is that PLEASE SEND PRG, and UPDATE never display on my device - they never did, that's why I did a factory reset

I found your post with the link to the CE5000 service manual and just downloaded it.  I'm going to read through it and see if I can find anything. 

By the way, when I hold down < and > mine says "USB 8" and I have the option to change to "USB 64".   No update or anything, just in case anyone else is seeing this problem.

10 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

I can't help you there...  Graphtec will have to help you there. 

Hopefully they will actually try to help me.. seems like a firmware update would fix this maybe but I don't know.  Curious if you, Mz Skeeter, or anyone else for that matter, have ever had to use their support and how they might treat someone who is out of warranty.

Again, thanks for your help.  Wish me luck.  

I only used them 1 time, back in 2008,, user error on my part   I never have problems with my cutter. BUT I don't mess with it either.. And I only use the Graphtec Cutting Controller to adjust my settings right from my computer.   Hope things work out for you. Your welcome:D

Did you try using the Graphtec with different cutting software?  You never stated which operating system and which version of Flexi software you are using...

Yeah I tried it with the Graphtec Studio and Flexi 10 on Windows 7.   I never used it with Studio until after it messed up.   Computer recognizes it as a CE5000 no problem.  Studio will recognize it occasionally and say "Load Media" in the Status area, when the status of the media is fine on the cutter.  It then disconnects randomly, and all the time when the cutter is hooked into USB, it will come up with the GP-GL ERROR 1.    

I don't disagree that I should have left well enough alone, but damnit it, what I did shouldn't have broken it either.   It's not like I was abusing it or doing anything the instructions didn't tell me to do.

I tried once to update my ce5000 and it failed. First thing in my mind was "don't do that again!"

Graphtec should help you with it. They seem very good with there help.

Firmware is a nasty thing on anything. I always read the update text and see if any of the fixes do anything for what I have experienced. If not, don't touch it.

I have been on here many years, and have read many posts about the problems when people do that,, which is why I would never do it.. 

I wish I had read more before assuming their documentation was accurate.   Right now I have a very large paperweight.  RS232 does not work either.

email graphtec and be nice, they will do the same and help you out.

Like Skeeter said, "DON'T MESS WITH IT!" It is what it is.

• Like 1