Guest RandyBMaker

Vectorizing from PDF

Guest RandyBMaker

I am having trouble getting a "clean" trace of some window vinyl artwork provided to me in PDF format. I stated in vinylmaster cut, but upgraded to pro to try to solve the problem(s), but still having similar problems.

The artwork contains text using three (non standard) fonts (of substantially different sizes), some underlining, and a couple social media icons.

I am using PDF import/Import as Rendered (b/c editable appears blurry). The whole image is 2738x3650 pixels, 365dpi.

There are three shades of gray just in the filled/solid areas. The customer wants all the vinyl the same color.

There is also "fringing" on all the graphics- which appears as various shades of gray. I have figured out -with the help of online tutorials- how to change the various shades of gray to black. I then have tried a variety of add/subtract detail/despeckle applications- but inevitably end up with unacceptable cuttable graphics. (When in the vectorizer- the monochrome graphics appear jagged, but after Accepting- and looking closely at the curves generated- I am not happy.) I suppose all the defects could be cleaned up with path editing- but my god- I would have thought I could get a smooth trace! 

Should I even be tracing this text- or should I layout the lettering as text using font files?

(The customer who "did" the layout using powerpoint- and seemed "offended" when I suggested my redoing the layout in my cutting software with the appropriate font files...)

Thanks for any suggestions!

cast example.png

Why not sign in and be a member instead of a guest.?   You only trace text as a last resort.. Find the font and recreate it.  A typed font in Vinyl Master will give you clean results. 

• Like 1

On 11/10/2017 at 6:12 PM, signyouup said:

Convert the PDF to EPS.

https://docupub.com/pdfconvert/

I think the text will come out as vector.

This PDF to EPS process worked for me- without having to find the font files- (I did still have to vectorize in VM, but it came out clean with no manual pixel by pixel editing.) Thanks signyouup!

However, MZ SKEETER, thanks to you also- I will follow your advice too- and try to not scan text whenever possible.

(I am the person that posted the first "Vectorizing from PDF" question as guest.)

So why did you have to vectorize in VM?   An .eps file is a vector file.     Yes I knew that...   Your welcome. I am from Indiana also.  

Depending on how the PDF was created, it may or may not be a vector. However, if you can get the original power point file, you can simply copy and paste into your vector program, although I believe the if you do not have the fonts installed the Power Point will go to a default font.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.