Sign in to follow this  
slopchops

I broke my cutter. Help!

DSCF0001.jpg

This is a picture of my cutter with the cable and a part attached to the end of the cable that goes into the cutter. I accidentally knocked my cutter over pulling this out of the socket. Now I cannot put it back in securely. It just wobbles around.

Folks I suffer from Demetria, a loss of memory and I cannot remember if another cable is used on the left connection. If it does I have lost my cable and need to order another and I need to know what I need to do to get a good fit on the right side.

Old age creeps up on me and memory loss is one of the plagues I am cursed with. :thumbsup:

I sure need help with this one.

That's a serial cable on the left. You shouldn't have any problems using it to connect if you have a serial port on your computer. You should also have gotten a serial cable with the cutter. it in to the cutter and computer...no drivers needed. Go into your signblazer (or whatever cutting software you use) and change the setting to Com1. Maybe com2. One or the other should work.

YOu should be able to get a serial cable at any computer store,Circuit city,best buy,etc,if you can't find yours.

Serial is a more reliable connection anyway,from what I am told and from personal experience.

Guest Terry

what banner said, I worry about snapping off my dongles that stick out of my computer USB ports I have three. Besure to remove old drivers and reset your new stuff.

OK I found my cable that came with my computer. The reason I didn't use it is my computer connector is three prong rows high (male). The cable that came with my UScutter is two (female) holes high. Don't fit.

It seems to me that the broken fitting on the right went to my computer and my phone line so I could send sign designs etc. to a prospect. Looking at the photo, do any of you see anything missing?

Is there a place near Conroe, Texas I can take it for repairs?

Guest Terry

Take the picture of the port on the cutter, and one of your computer port to a store and just buy a cable. They have fittings to convert.

what banner said, I worry about snapping off my dongles that stick out of my computer USB ports I have three. Besure to remove old drivers and reset your new stuff.

Terry, buy a 4 port USB hub to plug your dongles into. Then you will have more USB ports and won't have to worry about breaking them off.

Guest Terry

I have them now on one computer, the kind that dangle from a cable, not a hub that sits. But the one dongle is in the front port of computer, you could brush up against it and snap it.

Guest Terry

post a picture of the back of your computer ports, you have a serial.

Guest fivestar

Run to a local Best Buy or national electronics store and purchase a USB to Serial adaptor if you don't have a serial port on your machine.  You can also get a PCI serial card and install it in your machine and use it with the cable that came with it.

Guest Terry

ya, lots of ways he could hook it back up, myself I wouldn't pay to fix the cutter port, I would just use the other. Unless it shorted something on the board when it snapped off.  :thumbsup:

OK I found my cable that came with my computer. The reason I didn't use it is my computer connector is three prong rows high (male). The cable that came with my UScutter is two (female) holes high. Don't fit.

It seems to me that the broken fitting on the right went to my computer and my phone line so I could send sign designs etc. to a prospect. Looking at the photo, do any of you see anything missing?

Is there a place near Conroe, Texas I can take it for repairs?

The connector on your computer that is 3 rows should be the monotor port...external monitor if you are using a laptop. If this is the case,the laptop might not have a serial connector in which case you need an adapter as Fivestar suggested. Don't get too worried,I think this is do-able...do you have anyone around you that knows a bit more about computers than you do?

Guest Terry

Forgot he could be using a laptop. Myself I don't understand why anyone would use one with production equipment... But maybe I'm old fashion, but I want a tower with the WORKS for ports.  :thumbsup:

One problem nobody touched on. In breaking the USB receiver off of the board it is possble that a short could exist that just might not show up until the serial is plugged in. This is not a simple case of USB failure, rather one of the reciepticle being ripped from the board.

It seems that I read a post on this forum that stated that the USB on the cutter was not a true USB, but a serial convertor unit. If that is the fact and the 2 of these are at all related, I'd be looking for an eletronics repair shop as most computer shops are not equipped or experienced to resolder broken connections.

Before I took any steps, I would make sure that Ken Imes gets a copy of the picture and get his opinion on how to proceed.

it is likely you may have to replace the main board in the plotter.

bb

Guest fivestar

I would say he will be fine running serial.  I don't know how these boards are made up, but there shouldn't be anything sent to the USB part of the board if he runs it off serial.  Again I don't know how they are setup but if it powers up fine then I'd say he could run serial.  If it was me I'd throw a serial cable on there and see what happens, just don't let the magic smoke out of it.  :thumbsup:

indeed! be careful of the smoke! but there is stil the possibility if a foil path on the board being cracked. i have sen that before with different but similar electronics.

bb

Would anyone know how I can reattach the part that came loose? It looks like a telephone receptacle on one end. I cannot see any way of how it was secured in there. Glue?

there are several members here who are in your neck of the woods. Maybe one of them is close enough to drop by and help out. Never hurts to ask. I would,if there was a free lunch involved. Too bad I'm not close. Not being there,if there are no wires involved, it would simply be a matter of sticking it back in and making sure the connections are secure,then finding some way of getting it to stay there. I've had USB extension cables pull apart in this way,and just stuck them back together.

You might tell the town you live in,and see if someone is nearby.

Would anyone know how I can reattach the part that came loose? It looks like a telephone receptacle on one end. I cannot see any way of how it was secured in there. Glue?

All of the old solder joints have to be removed, and the piece resoldered back into place. We have a supergeeknerd here at the shop I hang out in who repairs laptop motherboards and flatscreen monitors. I've watched him plenty and it is a tedious task at best. Success rate on repairs of this nature is about 90%, meaning 90% last more than 6 months, 10% less than 6 months.

He's gotten such a reputation for these types of repairs that a boroscope manufacturer has begun using him for repairing boroscopes. For those not familiar boroscopes (in this use) are used to look inside aircraft engines to detect cracks, etc., before they cause a fatal incident. So, that said, he's pretty good at it. That's aside from the point ..

I satnd by my original statement that I would inquire Ken Imes and seek his advice in this matter. Typically replacement boards cost more than the original equipment they came in. I'd not tinker without all of the facts.

Guest Terry

One problem nobody touched on. In breaking the USB receiver off of the board it is possble that a short could exist that just might not show up until the serial is plugged in. This is not a simple case of USB failure, rather one of the reciepticle being ripped from the board.

It seems that I read a post on this forum that stated that the USB on the cutter was not a true USB, but a serial convertor unit. If that is the fact and the 2 of these are at all related, I'd be looking for an eletronics repair shop as most computer shops are not equipped or experienced to resolder broken connections.

Before I took any steps, I would make sure that Ken Imes gets a copy of the picture and get his opinion on how to proceed.

I did mention a short.  :thumbsup:

Just responded to your support ticket with you option of replacing the part.

I did mention a short.  :thumbsup:

Sorry Terry, I missed your mention of a short. Them shorts can and do cause horrible things to happen.

Replace the main board in the cutter. If your using a laptop I'd not take a chance with a possible short others suggest which could severly damage a laptop.

Replace the main board in the cutter. If your using a laptop I'd not take a chance with a possible short others suggest which could severly damage a laptop.

Judging from his other posts,including the one where he says he suffers from dementia...I would suggest sending the cutter in for repair. I would in NO WAY suggest he attempt to replace the main board himself.