Sign in to follow this  
Rexerex

New to forum

Hello,  I volunteer at the Pueblo Aircraft Museum. We have a vinyl cutting system that is probably over 17 years old. The software is from Gerber Scientific Products with a Mimaki CG-60st. It's running on Windows 2000. It works OK for our uses and the computer is never connected to the internet. It is used maybe a few times a week when we are busy with a restoration or special event. Often it is off for months.

We mostly cut lettering for signage around the museum and stencil masks for aircraft and vehicle restorations. Before I got involved with the museum it was just lettering, but I have added some artwork such as our museum logo and other designs. There is much I don't know about vinyl cutting and the program but we only do in-house work for our Non-Profit operations.

My interest here is to research possible upgrades of our system or determine if we might be better off getting a newer more capable system.

Welcome from Highlands Ranch. 

Happy to help answer questions on the Gerber Software, I have owned several versions, and use the printers. If you are primarily using for stencils, and vinyl cutting its probably fine.  

Welcome from Idaho.

Older doesn't mean bad. Probably of more importance is familiarity with what you have as long as it's still working. While not familiar with the cutter its spec say it's a servo motor machine which generally spells decent build quality. If you can import EPS, AI, SVG files and you feel you need more design capability you could just update your design platform to something like Adobe Illustrator, Corel, or even Inkscape (free) and still use the Gerber as a cutting interface. I am not familiar with the Gerber software to know what kind of capability your older version has. There are also design and cut programs available that might be a complete replacement to your current setup. Vinyl Master Pro sold here on the forum is a great bang for buck product in that regard.