Sign in to follow this  
Wildgoose

Christmas came a little early this year.

So my day job is site work and excavation. We were opening up a new job last week and clearing off a field to put up some apartment complexes. I left a guy there to scrape up weeds with a large wheel loader. he calls late in the evening to tell me he ran over a rifle on the job. It was in a scabbard and had likely bounced off a truck or side-by-side at some point. Said he smashed it pretty good. I go over the next day and have a look. It's a fairly new Ruger American Predator series chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. Has an upper level chinese scope and a bi-pod all in a decent scabbard. Stock is broken but just at the shoulder all there rest is fine. I say "Cool find dude. Finder keepers." He says "Oh I quit hunting a long time ago you take it." (he didn't have to ask me twice!) Had the local cops run a search for stolen or lost and no one had turned it in so they say it's mine now. Just needs a new stock. I start looking for a used one or replacement and have a hard time because its a fairly new model and specific stock for the barrel. Finally give up and call Ruger about it. They ask why I want a new stock. I tell them it got ran over (didn't tell them it was by a large piece of construction equipment) they say "we will have one out to you in 6 to 8 working days for free." Mic drop..... No way. free I say? She says yep, have a great weekend and good hunting. You better believe I will lady! Happy day indeed. I looked up the equipment and there's between $700 and $900 right there depending on actual prices vs list. Way cool. Has a little rust on the barrel as it had been laying out there who knows how long but I did the barrel re-black kit thing and it cleaned up pretty good. Somehow the scope is totally fine even being nearly squished and laying around getting wet, all the rest is in great shape. Supposed to be real nice shooters. 

• Like 8

Nice find indeed! Ruger is great to work with and their lifetime guarantee program is amazing. Pretty much no questions asked in my experience.  I’m not surprised they are sending you a free stock. You may want to send the entire rifle in for a once-over being that it was ran over and who knows what before that. They may just replace it. 

• Like 1

You know you're going to have a post a pic of a trophy you managed to snag with that new toy! :P

• Like 1

8 hours ago, haumana said:

You know you're going to have a post a pic of a trophy you managed to snag with that new toy! :P

Uh, yeah that would mean I actually get to leave my dungeon and go hunting. Ha fat chance. I bagged a nice target sticker multiple times at the local range though. Definitely a nice shooting gun. 

• Haha 1