cuddlebug studio

what's the purpose of calibrating- no change

I have the 15X15 clamshell 3802 heat press.  set up directions state to "calibrate".  Well, I didn't do this before the first use, but I had checked the temperature with a infra red heat gun thermometer and it was registering about 12 degrees hotter than the heat press display was showing.  The second time, I calibrated it according to the instructions and when it was finished, I checked with the infrared and is was still registering 12 degrees hotter than the display.   So, what is the purpose of "calibrating".

Also, I notice that once it reaches the set temp - it cycles on and off every second to maintain the heat.  Other appliances- irons, ovens, etc., don't cycle that frequently to maintain the temp.  Is this just the way it is?  Seems like it would but a real strain on the equipment and power source with that constant one second cycling.

Thanks

on the calibration issue I would contact support for advice.  as far as cycling it could be due to the value heat presses do not have as dense of a heating element and not as much mass in the platen as the pro models so they would heat more but personally I have never seen a heat press I could tell when it was "cycling" so I would ask about that too.  I started with a seiki press and moved up owning several hotronix models and have never seen one "cycle"