Sign in to follow this  
cardudenc

Back Lit signs

hopefully posting in the right section.

info may be already on here but I didn't see it. with back lit signs, do you guys build all your boxes or is there a supplier that you can order to specs? just had a real estate co ask for a unique design. they want it in the shape of a house. Ive replaced panels in  back lit signs. I just haven't tried to build 1 from scratch yet.

Easy answer ---   building a custom-shape lighted sign box from 'scratch' is not something for the average Joe.

I order my "Cloud" signs from Rick in Georgia http://www.georgiasignbuilders.com

He says that "We work ridiculous hours" ('til midnight  7 days) !!!

• Like 2

They are not rocket science but some of the electrical work should probably enlist the aid of a qualified electrical contractor. Biggest thing about a weird shape is the traditional way of sliding a substrate in may not work and you would have to build it with other methods in mind to change out the substrate and get at the tubes. 

• Like 1

well I used to be a cnc machinist and do all types of custom metal fab work in my jeep shop. so i figure hopefully i can handle this. i did have a sign box just like the 1 on my building. i was keeping it until I got tired of it in the way. ive read most have switched to using led in their signs. leds are easier to wire than ballast. I also used to have an aquarium/ fish store, so have built a lot of custom lighting in aquarium hoods for saltwater and reef tanks 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cardudenc said:

well I used to be a cnc machinist and do all types of custom metal fab work in my jeep shop. so i figure hopefully i can handle this. i did have a sign box just like the 1 on my building. i was keeping it until I got tired of it in the way. ive read most have switched to using led in their signs. leds are easier to wire than ballast. I also used to have an aquarium/ fish store, so have built a lot of custom lighting in aquarium hoods for saltwater and reef tanks 

not sure on the sign box part but this is a good company I have used for years - mainly for coro and stakes when they have a sale - bought some banner etc from them and they have LED supplies - the web site is quite lacking but trustworthy company to deal with over closer your direction

https://www.mumpowersignsupply.com/

Led lighting is the way to go now. Like Dakotagrafx sad Mumpower is a good supplier also pioneer sign supply...... you can buy basic boxes and add your lighting ...or Hendricks vacuum forming for boxes and back painted faces.

lighted signs are the major part of my bussines