MrJoel

Gotta use more than one pinch roller!!!

Good-ness... humming along today on a very large run and switched out my vinyl.  Started another session and knew almost instantly something was up and hit the reset button.  Took me 10 minutes to figure out what was wrong then another 20 to figure out my blade was affected (little chip).  The new blade was slightly different so I had to go through the full blade depth/offset/overcut dance...and what a dance it was... but, thankfully it all went smooth from there.  Always start Saturday with 2 cups of coffee!

• Like 2

Ha, nice to know I'm not the only one to have that happen. Mine was about a week after I got my first cutter and on that particular machine practically the whole drive bar was open but only had traction grit in a few places. I had tried to use an odd sized scrap and slid one of the pinch rollers over and it was no longer over anything it could get traction on. Same results as you with the broken tip and all. Didn't figure out the broken tip for a while either. Those are good learning experiences that sort of SEAR the knowledge in nice and deep.  

My wife was weeding for me on the stuff that was cut with the chipped blade...umm...well...I appeased her by just throwing it all away! Apparently, a good practice in marriage is to make sure your wife is happy (been married 22 years, yes to the same woman too..) we switched to orafol 352 from our normal chrome from H&H (from griff I believe)...she hates the orafoil, any nick in that stuff and it tears...with a broken blade there are lots of nicks..thus it is gone!  Btw, anyone need about 5 yards of 352?

• Like 1

glad you got it figured out and saved a marriage  - that is why I swear by cleancut blades - I don't mess with changing and adjusting but every 10 months for the most part

• Haha 1

I actually just ordered a 45° and a 60° clean cut earlier today.  I’ve been through a few of those Chinese ebay/amazon ones so far and the adjustments have to be made at each change (depth and offset)... it’s a horrible ordeal

Remember before installing to drop you pressure 50 percent and start with too little blade working your way up so you don’t break a tip. 

• Like 3

On 10/23/2017 at 8:56 AM, Dakotagrafx said:

Remember before installing to drop you pressure 50 percent and start with too little blade working your way up so you don’t break a tip. 

Clean cut blade is in and I used 1/2 the pressure and almost no blade as suggested.  My cutter was running Chrome at a pressure setting of 300, I started at 150 and ended up at 145 making perfect cuts.  Combine that with the offset issue that was fixed by calibrating my cutter to the software and...BAM!!! Cutting perfect!  The most trouble i had was with the punisher skulls I did for my boys party.  I couldn’t get them any smaller than 1” without eyes and nose holes and teeth not cutting right... just for giggles I made some at .6” and they look awesome!  Btw, the eyes on that are tiny but the nostrils are almost too small to weed with a pin...

• Like 3

I personally use a second blade holder and after I have used my cleancut first in the primary holder for regular vinyl I move it to the metallics, glitter holder as that will eat any blade up faster and I want my regualr vinyl to always be trouble free.   that way I get double duty out of the cleancut blades too as you generally do not do as fine of cuts with metalics

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

I personally use a second blade holder and after I have used my cleancut first in the primary holder for regular vinyl I move it to the metallics, glitter holder as that will eat any blade up faster and I want my regualr vinyl to always be trouble free.   that way I get double duty out of the cleancut blades too as you generally do not do as fine of cuts with metalics

I actually only do chrome and Reflectives in my little niche so I’m a blade eating machine!!! 

• Like 2

More power to you. You can have that niche and I guess that's why it's there, I hate both. 

• Haha 1