I am new to this....can anyone tell me how to "thicken" or "widen" an outline before printing it?  I have an outline of the state of Ohio but it is too thin and needs to be wider.  Is is done in tracing?  The image was just copied and pasted in.  Thanks!

This is not a Graphtec equipment question.  It's a question regarding your design software.

Also, you are not printing anything with a Graphtec. You are cutting.

Here is MY question ---  why not just cut Ohio as a silhouette?

ohio_in_black_and_white_poster-rbbb8b3e3

So are you printing or cutting it?   Big differnce.. The Graphtec is not a printer....That is the category you posted under. ...The Graphtec will only cut vector based graphics.  Plus you don't mention what software you are using. 

Sorry--once again new.  I am CUTTING vinyl to be used as a stencil.  I am not specifically using any software-just designing it in Graphtec Studio.  I didn't want that much paint used (stiffness) and therefore I wanted an outline of Ohio not a big blob shape.  It looks good----just way too thin.  I thought it might be in the Trace Settings but doesn't seem to be.

IMG_0205.JPG

IMG_0206.JPG

Graphtec Studio IS design and cutting software. made for the Graphtec.   Look in the HELP section.  Most soft wares have HELP at the top of the layout screen.   I don't use Graphtec Studio. 

Your software (built-in) HELP/Tutorial instructions may provide the answer.

edited -- (dammit, Skeetz, stop copying my answers!!!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

Your software (built-in) HELP/Tutorial instructions may provide the answer.

edited -- (dammit, Skeetz, stop copying my answers!!!)

You can take it from here... :lol:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Graphtec Studio IS design and cutting software. made for the Graphtec.   Look in the HELP section.  Most soft wares have HELP at the top of the layout screen.   I don't use Graphtec Studio. 

Can I ask what you use?  It's probably more advanced......

I use Flexidesigner10    Flexisignpro7.5   for designing.    And Flexistarter 8.6 for vinyl cutting with my Graphtec.   

You could use the old unlimited trial of Signblazer from this forum with the Copam driver.

Unless they have changed Graphtec studio file format,,,,You don't want to be stuck with just the graphtec studio files.  Because they won't work in other softwares.  You want a software that  can export/save as .eps files  or pdf files, which  can be used in other softwares.  

Make sure you have the latest version of Graphtec Studio if your going to use it..  They do updates on it. 

Inkscape is a decent design program. It is free, but like a lot of free software, can be a bit clunky at times, but it's pretty powerful and can be a great learning tool before buying something though.

I don't own a Graphtec so take what I say with that understanding. I looked heavily at an FC when I was shopping for an upgrade. Great machine as are the CE models. Graphic is smart and has the easy to use plug-ins that only Graphtec owners can use. Your Graphtec Studio is the next newest generation of that idea. The problem with the Studio version is as Skeeter said it will not export files and I believe there are or have been issues even importing files. There was talk about a year or two ago about a Pro version coming out that could be BOUGHT as an upgrade and it was supposed to allow export of files and most or all of the regular design and cut tools you find in other design and cut combo programs. I don't think I have heard of it being out yet so not sure what happened to that whole thing. Skeeter nailed the main point and I am responding to drive that point home with a nod to her acumen. At your stage of the game you will expend an inordinate amount of time and effort to learn many things. About half of that effort will be the design/file side of owning a cutter. Be smart about what you choose to do because it may not be worth your time and aggravation to learn a program that will end up being more trouble than it's worth.

Here are my thoughts:

I don't use Inkscape but I do have a copy on almost every computer that I own because it's FREE and a solid back-up to have around for no cost. Many people become good with it and that's all they use. I had already invested many hours into learning Adobe Illustrator and tend to stick with that since it's what I know. There are some solid programs that are available to purchase or "rent" one of which is Vinyl Master. Most of the programs come in different levels depending on need. IMO you will need something more or less fully functional with the exception of print based work and in VM that is the Pro version. I think it runs about $400. Flexi is probably the sign industry standard and most use it to compare to. Great program but REALLY expensive. There are lesser versions and older versions that you can possibly get cheaper. Don't know the details so I won't act like I do. Many use a combination of design and cut programs. I design in AI and cut with SignCut Pro 1. Many do similar with either Inkscape or Corel. All three are compatible with SignCut plug-ins. Inkscape as mentioned earlier has a solution they are still working on to run a cutter. I think it's called InkCut and I also hear it is in the very early stages and pretty limited in user friendliness. Also mentioned here is the age old SignBlazer which is free as well. Has a strong group of followers but absolutely no support since the designer died. 

My suggestion would be to take some time and try out as many programs as you can that are free or have free trials and see if you can find one that your brain likes. Most of the above are PC only, I didn't see any word on what platform you run. 

To make the Ohio outline beefier, look at the "offset selected shape" option. It's the red and white target looking button near the top. It will draw around your shape and you can adjust the slider to make the drawing larger or smaller.

Studio can export as pdf then you can convert it to eps to use in other software. You can convert it online if you don't have software installed to do it, just google pdf to eps converter.

You may be able to get a free copy of Studio Pro if you go to this site and fill out your info and the serial number on your Graphtec machine. I got it a few months ago and the site is still up, so I guess they're still giving it away. It turns out that after all the wait for a pro version, it's actually just Flexi with the Graphtec name added to it. That's ok, Flexi is great and I don't mind getting it for free, but it's funny that Graphtec Studio Pro is nothing like Graphtec Studio. https://www.graphtecamerica.com/cp-graphtec-pro-studio-request-form

It looks like they have officially released it for $1000! http://www.graphtecamericastore.com/graphtec-pro-studio-plus-software/

• Like 1

@bethfuciu          Check this out. 

That's a great deal,  you guys should get it.  

No offering for the older models though, even if you buy it.  It does look like Flexi though. 

19 hours ago, jmas said:

To make the Ohio outline beefier, look at the "offset selected shape" option. It's the red and white target looking button near the top. It will draw around your shape and you can adjust the slider to make the drawing larger or smaller.

Studio can export as pdf then you can convert it to eps to use in other software. You can convert it online if you don't have software installed to do it, just google pdf to eps converter.

You may be able to get a free copy of Studio Pro if you go to this site and fill out your info and the serial number on your Graphtec machine. I got it a few months ago and the site is still up, so I guess they're still giving it away. It turns out that after all the wait for a pro version, it's actually just Flexi with the Graphtec name added to it. That's ok, Flexi is great and I don't mind getting it for free, but it's funny that Graphtec Studio Pro is nothing like Graphtec Studio. https://www.graphtecamerica.com/cp-graphtec-pro-studio-request-form

It looks like they have officially released it for $1000! http://www.graphtecamericastore.com/graphtec-pro-studio-plus-software/

just got my activation for graphtec studio pro - looks a lot like my ve-lxi master plus - so basically flexi pro without the RIP - - great deal for those that can get it!!!

great deal.  That should help out a lot of new Graphtec owners.   Curious what is the new file format that it saves as? 

4 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

great deal.  That should help out a lot of new Graphtec owners.   Curios what is the new file format that it saves as? 

The default file format is flexi's .fs but it can export to these:

all.jpg.9d2ca9b1056db73b2307495a6400ec62.jpg

while I have saved new stuff since getting it in each program and opened in the other - files I saved with ve-lxi prior do not open with this but that will not be a problem for 99 percent of the people - and I always save finished work as .eps so I can open in most programs - heck for new graphtec owners this is a steal of a deal.  SW shows master plus for $1600 but in reality you can get it much cheaper (like $500 or so)  or with a cutter - - - - but this with a graphtec makes that graphtec seem cheap. 

No with that said am I the only one seeing a killer deal on the ce6000-60 on the web site tonight??    

• Like 1

I've had Pro since July but have been hesitant to use it. Truth be told, I haven't ran across anything I can't do in Studio, and I do some weird stuff sometimes. But I'm mostly worried about whether this Pro version is a one time freebie or if it will be an ongoing project that will be updated and free forever. I'm hesitant to switch all my work to it if it will be out of date in a couple years.

7 minutes ago, jmas said:

I've had Pro since July but have been hesitant to use it. Truth be told, I haven't ran across anything I can't do in Studio, and I do some weird stuff sometimes. But I'm mostly worried about whether this Pro version is a one time freebie or if it will be an ongoing project that will be updated and free forever. I'm hesitant to switch all my work to it if it will be out of date in a couple years.

just save everything as .eps and you can use it in most programs

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

just save everything as .eps and you can use it in most programs

Yeah, but I don't work like most of you guys do. While I do some signs and  decals, the bulk of my work is more of a repeating wholesale thing for pre-made designs. I need to save things in a project format so I can open them and the sizing and layout are already there. I just click "cut" and get paid :)

same here on my "stock" items  - - - eps saves all the info and cuts directly and prints directly in versaworks when properly prepared the first time around

In Inkscape it's easy.

Set the stroke width you want.(outline)

With object selected, from the path menu select "convert Stroke to path".

Done.