MrJoel

Switch to tablet for everything coming closer

Hey guys, my old mackboom Pro has lived a long and dutiful life but I’m thinking of switching over to an iPad Pro 12.9” for school reasons and others.  I’ll keep the old mac book around for its current duty of design and cutting but... when will this be possible to switch over?  I currently use scal Pro 4 and I know they have an app but it is strictly design, no cutting... when what how...  let’s talk ;)

from an old dude - my question is why - would drive me nuts to try to design and do everything from my tablet - heck I go bigger monitors every year until this year I finally wedged one in with no room to spare on the desk.  27" screen going back smaller would be torture for the old people like me when quality counts

from all of your post so far I can see where you would want another challenge :)

• Like 2

I know of no cutting software from a tablet.  Most cutters require a serial or usb port, which can be lacking on some tablets.  The design software you get for tablets can be vector, but is going to be more primitive.

I'm like Dakotagrafx, I like big screens.  I use two 42" hdtv's as monitors.  One is in front of me, and the other is to the right in portrait mode hanging on the wall.

If you need a tablet for portable and school, get one, but budget a cheap desktop to stay with the cutter, drive the cutter and be more or less permanent.  A Win PC good enough to drive the cutter can be cheap.  A dirt cheap one, used maybe, say 100 bucks or less, would be enough.  Win 7 is still good enough.

If you can find a vector design tool for the tablet, then you can design on the go and cut from the shop.  The vector app will have to spit out a format the cutting software can deal with.

• Like 1

Thankfully, y’all have helped me out with all my issues and that Laserpoint 2 is making its keep!  

1 hour ago, dcbevins said:

I know of no cutting software from a tablet.  Most cutters require a serial or usb port, which can be lacking on some tablets.  The design software you get for tablets can be vector, but is going to be more primitive.

I'm like Dakotagrafx, I like big screens.  I use two 42" hdtv's as monitors.  One is in front of me, and the other is to the right in portrait mode hanging on the wall.

If you need a tablet for portable and school, get one, but budget a cheap desktop to stay with the cutter, drive the cutter and be more or less permanent.  A Win PC good enough to drive the cutter can be cheap.  A dirt cheap one, used maybe, say 100 bucks or less, would be enough.  Win 7 is still good enough.

If you can find a vector design tool for the tablet, then you can design on the go and cut from the shop.  The vector app will have to spit out a format the cutting software can deal with.

I’m keeping my old mackbook and the software but it sure would be nice to have a wireless cutter and digital printer where everything is just touch and go... just a step this side of subbing it out  :0

Illustrator can be run on  a tablet but I don't think I would want to. It's so key stroke and mouse combination heavy in it's natural state that the way they have to get around that on a touchscreen looks unhandy. I tried out a Wacom tablet one year but it was about the same way and you have to use a key on the side whilst pressing in and dragging there etc. Didn't care to re-learn what took me so long to get good at in the first place so I sent it back. That plus the fact I soon learned I have almost no natural talent to draw freestyle by hand. He he he.

• Like 1