Sign in to follow this  
Redfrick

What can an MH871 cut?

I have an MH 871.  Still trying to figure out how to use it so maybe I am doing something wrong.  But I can't seem to cut anything besides vinyl.  I've tried cutting 3 mil acetate.  Also tried to cut railroad board (I think that what it's called its a little thicker than construction paper) with no luck with either.  Can this ONLY cut vinyl?

Well, hate to say it but they don't call them a paper and acetate cutter. That being said you can usually cut some other materials if you get set right. I have never tried to cut acetate and have no idea how hard that is. Does it have a carrier sheet? Because anything you cut will need to have a carrier sheet behind it. The paper and yardstick usually just needs to be stuck onto a piece of clear app tape or buy a circuit cutting mat or something and usually you can cut it. Some materials are much hardier than vinyl and so the pressure needed will be a lot higher. Sometimes you might need to make two passes to get through and at that point you will suffer with the inaccuracy of the MH because it may not be able to follow the same path both times. Keep in mind that the cutter blades are extremely sharp but also very fragile and it doesn't take much to ruin a tip and then they won't cut anything well. I personally avoid those type of things mist of the time and when I do cut them I have a few older used blades that still were working when I changed them that I save to use in that environment. 

• Like 2