Sign in to follow this  
arty-rc

HURRICANE IRMA

11 hours ago, Go-C Graphics said:

You'll always be welcomed.  

Thank goodness. But seriously I need to go buy a shovel tomorrow. 

73's from W8SJH  :)

3 minutes ago, Go-C Graphics said:

Say what?

85a80ce7c53efb60fd6097879907a83e.jpg

W8SJH is my Ham call sign - description of 73 is . . . .

was testing to see how many hams we had on here - I know of a couple.  I personally fall into the geek class as I always wanted my licence in the 70's but couldn't afford the equipment at the cost back then.  got my license a couple years ago and was surprised to find the beloved hobby for electronics geeks had essentially been overrun by preppers that would grab a soldering iron by the hot end :/ 

73 -- Ham lingo for "best regards." Used on both phone and CW toward the end of a contact.

The first authentic use of 73 is in the publication The National Telegraph Review and Operators' Guide, first published in April 1857. At that time, 73 meant "My love to you!"

In the National Telegraph Convention, the numeral was changed to a friendly "word" between operators.

In 1859, the Western Union Company set up the standard "92 Code." A list of numerals from one to 92 was compiled to indicate a series of prepared phrases for use by the operators on the wires. Here, in the 92 Code, 73 changes to "accept my compliments," which was in keeping with the florid language of that era.

Over the years from 1859 to 1900, the many manuals of telegraphy show variations of this meaning. Dodge's The Telegraph Instructor shows it merely as "compliments." The Twentieth Century Manual of Railway and Commercial Telegraphy defines it two ways, one listing as "my compliments to you;" but in the glossary of abbreviations it is merely "compliments." Theodore A. Edison's Telegraphy Self-Taught shows a return to "accept my compliments." By 1908, however, a later edition of the Dodge Manual gives us today's definition of "best regards" with a backward look at the older meaning in another part of the work where it also lists it as "compliments."

"Best regards" has remained ever since as the "put-it-down-in-black-and-white" meaning of 73 but it has acquired overtones of much warmer meaning. Today, amateurs use it more in the manner that James Reid had intended that it be used --a "friendly word between operators."

• Like 1