Sign in to follow this  
arty-rc

HURRICANE IRMA

I'm sitting here watching the 8am forcasted path of this huge storm and hoping for the best. Leaving the area is out of the question due to the extreme fraffic, no place to go, fear of lack of gas, delays and the fear of being out on the open road during the storm. At this time, they are recommending that we all stay where are. My area is in the direct path of this storm. We deceided to put up our shutters, secure our house and hunker down. We are not in a flood zone but as of this forcast we will be facing winds of 150+mph with higher gusts. We have many forum members in Florida and in the path of this storm. To all of them I hope they stay safe. Arty

• Like 4

We all pray you and yours stay safe and secure....keep us advised if you can.

Sue2

Feel for you. Mother nature is fierce sometimes. Good luck to you and all the forum members who may be effected. 

Not to rub it in but I seem to remember a few of you Floridians rubbing it in last winter when us westerners were snowed in and suffering. It's probably your own fault for being so warm last winter. :lol:

16 hours ago, arty-rc said:

I'm sitting here watching the 8am forcasted path of this huge storm and hoping for the best. Leaving the area is out of the question due to the extreme fraffic, no place to go, fear of lack of gas, delays and the fear of being out on the open road during the storm. At this time, they are recommending that we all stay where are. My area is in the direct path of this storm. We deceided to put up our shutters, secure our house and hunker down. We are not in a flood zone but as of this forcast we will be facing winds of 150+mph with higher gusts. We have many forum members in Florida and in the path of this storm. To all of them I hope they stay safe. Arty

Dude come up here and stay in my house.............   The hospital is making it mandatory for me to come in at 5pm Sunday and I have to stay til Monday night.

So me and my 33 week pregnant wife will be chilling at the hospital.   You're more then welcome to hold down my fort for me.  And we're only expecting 75-95mph winds.    

• Like 1

This weekend is not going to be pretty, but hopefully everyone comes out on the other side A-OK.

Silver lining in an otherwise black cloud ---- signs are gonna need replacing!

18700519_10155194179743260_3408461640066

Thanks everyone for your replies. Thanks for the offer GO-C but we're going to ride out the storm. Take care of your wife and yourself. Maybe I'll pay you a visit when things calm down. Thanks again everyone. P.S. Wildgoose___Guilty as charged!! I just put myself in a TIME OUT.:(

• Like 1

Please check in when you can Arty, you too Go-C and everyone else down in Florida.

On Friday we drove home (middle Georgia) from Tampa.  Traffic flowed pretty good until Gainesville and then was stop and go to the state line.

Please check in with us, let us know you are ok...

Cal

• Like 1

Well the storm ended it's fury down here and we made it through. We were lucky that the eye of the storm missed us. We had a few fruit trees go down and got our power back last night. No damage to the house or cars. I'll be spending a lot of time with my chainsaw today. Thanks to everyone.

• Like 6

Glad to hear this!

We lost power about 1:00 pm Monday on just got it back yesterday around 11:00 am.

Cal

• Like 1

I'm back on-line...........

It's been a very LONG and emotional 5 days. My county got ROCKED!

I got to the hospital around 5pm Sunday to work the storm crew. The hospital lost power about 10pm Sunday night and we ran on generator for 12 hours. I worked throughout the storm making sure medical equipment was working correctly and making rounds.   Finally got to go home around 5pm Monday.  

We lost power at the house around 2am Monday morning according to my neighbors. I was able to borrow a generator from a friend who didn't lose power but gas has been very hard to find. We've been running a flood light, the frig, and 2 fans ,very sparely, for days. I didn't have extension cords to run anything else. I had a very emotional 34 week pregnant wife.  Between waiting 3 hours for gas, 2 hours for a decent cooked meal, crappy cell service, and hot sweaty nights it's just been long.   I finally broke down and cried yesterday when my wife sent a selfie of her smiling and swimming at a friends house. It's been too long since I have seen her smile like that. Just really disappointed in my self for not being more prepared knowing in the future I'm going to have a little one to look out for also.   

Eye opening experience on what we take for granted. Everything you would need is GONE: Gas, Gas cans, water, food, extension cords, You name it.  And places can't get trucks in to restock. You can't go anywhere because there's no telling when you're going to be able to get more gas. Restaurants might have power back on but they had to throw out all their food and can't get a truck in to restock.  1/2 mile long lines to get gas at only a few stations with both power and gas. Gas stations running out of gas often.  All of our utilities are run underground so I didn't think it would take so long to restore power.  

For the future I've already purchased a generator for myself. I'm ordering the parts needed to wire it into the house electrical system.  Need to buy gas cans to have on hand. I'm making a better list of food items we'll need. And now because we have a generator the list can include cold food.  I'm also going to find a cheap window AC unit to run in a bedroom while we sleep.

I'm just over it all.......   

Looking at the power company's restoration map it was looking like a few more days before we were going to get power back on.  There was no planned restoration happening in my area.   

Thankfully after topping off the generator and firing it up around 8pm the power came on about 15 seconds later.  

I've learned my lesson...... 

• Like 3

glad to hear you and the wife are safe go-c   so many people still have to go to work even in an emergency situation like working at a hospital, fire, police and corrections among so many others - so many people depend on the service you provide and thank you for watching over the hospital equipment so they can provide the much needed service.
few years ago we added a generator switch/plug when we replaced the meter box for the 200 amp service - now we can plug in and flip 2 breakers and get the house up and running during an outage and a lot easier than a normal transfer switch set up.

• Like 1

Great news that both you and the wife are OK. Even though the worst of the storm missed my area it was real nerve-racking listening to the wind howling outside. We had a dozen or so tornado warnings so running into our safe room(large closet) kept us tense. Every June I buy gas for my generator, add stablizer, and store it in my shed.  

I wouldn't want to be in those shoes, I'll take my chances up here in the mid-west with an occasional Tornado, Blizzard any day of the week...

• Like 1

Glad to see you back Go-C; glad that the wife and everything is A-OK,

Cal

Well I've started to prepare.    I'm not normally the type of person to buy something that I don't know when I'm going to use it but I am the type who likes to have the right tool for the job when I need it.   

I've purchased a generator interlock kit for my breaker box as well as a 30A twist lock inlet box.   This will allow me to plug the generator into an outlet on the side of my house and power most everything inside.   

http://www.geninterlock.com/product/generator-interlock-kit-square-d-qo-homeline-150-200-amp-panel-transfer-switch/

http://www.geninterlock.com/product/30-amp-125250-volt-l14-30-4-prong-4-wire-transfer-switchgenerator-extension-cord-and-30a-generator-inlet/

2nd thing is of course the generator.   It was a tough call trying to juggle cost vs power size.   In the end I realized I had the money and we're only talking about $200 difference.  I went with the bigger Generac generator, 7500watts.  I may not be able to power my central AC with it but with this size I'll be able to have 2 window AC unit going and still have hot water.   

https://www.powerequipmentdirect.com/Generac-5943/p5508.html

This has also given me the idea to build a shed off the side of my house to store it as well as some things out of my garage.  I love a good project like this.   

Something like this.  

cedarshed-587e5a2a5f9b584db3feceaa.jpg

I'm not going to be caught off guard again. Me and my family will be very comfortable if we ever lose power again.    

Question...........  At what point are you considered a "Prepper"  LOL

• Like 3

I'll be on my way up to you when the next hurricane threatens us down here. ;)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Go-C Graphics said:

Question...........  At what point are you considered a "Prepper"  LOL

when you start hording vast qty of food filling your basement (or storm celler in the yard) and start burying guns and ammo in your yard.    oh and don't forget to get your ham equipment for when the cell phones and rest of the infrastructure disappears  :)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

when you start hording vast qty of food filling your basement (or storm celler in the yard) and start burying guns and ammo in your yard.    oh and don't forget to get your ham equipment for when the cell phones and rest of the infrastructure disappears  :)

Don't forget converting all liquid assets to gold.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, arty-rc said:

I'll be on my way up to you when the next hurricane threatens us down here. ;)

You'll always be welcomed.  

7 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

56 minutes ago, signyouup said:

Don't forget converting all liquid assets to gold.

Thank goodness. But seriously I need to go buy a shovel tomorrow. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2