KC10Chief

What would you charge for these vehicle decals?

I am in a big Jeep club and make all sorts of decals for the group.  I recently started making these American Flag decals and installing them on the back windows of Jeep hard tops.  I've done a couple of 4Runners too.  It takes my machine about six minutes to cut one set.  It takes me about ten minutes to weed everything out and apply transfer paper to one set.  Another 25 minutes to do the install.  I am using Oracal 751.  I figure it costs me about $10 in materials to make these plus my time.  I've set a price and people are paying it but I feel that some are balking at my price.  I'm curious what you guys think I should be charging for these before I tell you what my price is.  I feel I may be charging too much.  I figure that if I lowered my price say $20, I'd refund the ten customers that have already paid, the $20 so there are no claims I'm being unfair.  Just curious what you guys would charge for these.  There's one on each side of the Jeep.  Thanks!

21270861_10212417145016592_4283793526914

• Like 1

I would probably charge about $100 for the work and install or $50 for just the vinyl and let them install. 

<edit> $100 price is including both back windows

I say give them a price just for the decal and then another price if you install it. I normally charge a $1 a inch. So if it's 30" it's $30 for the decal plus $25 or so to install it. 

• Like 2

@KC10Chief do you have spreadsheet calculator that helps you in what it costs just in material to make something ?that way you know exactly what it costs in material? Sent you a PM

Thanks for the replies!  I always know what it costs in material.  I just take the cost of the material and divide by how many inches it is.  Then multiply the cost per inch by how many inches I'm using for the job.  Anyways, I've been charging $100 installed for these.  They're not the easiest things to install since the windows on the Jeep are recessed a bit.  I tried doing wet installs at first.  Wet installs never seem to work well on windows.  So, I've been doing dry installs using the hinge method.  It's working out okay.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KC10Chief said:

Thanks for the replies!  I always know what it costs in material.  I just take the cost of the material and divide by how many inches it is.  Then multiply the cost per inch by how many inches I'm using for the job.  Anyways, I've been charging $100 installed for these.  They're not the easiest things to install since the windows on the Jeep are recessed a bit.  I tried doing wet installs at first.  Wet installs never seem to work well on windows.  So, I've been doing dry installs using the hinge method.  It's working out okay.  

It gets easier with practice. Application is definitely a learned art. Here is a link to some excellent training that helped me out a LOT.

• Like 1