jbittke

MH871-MK2 blade holder slams down

Blade settings were all fine until I recently had to replace the motherboard and the carriage ribbon.  Now there is too much force.  I've adjusted the blade no less than 20 times and have the same issue, every test cut is cutting through backing.  Attaching a video to better explain what I mean.  When I hit the Origin button you can hear the force.

20170830_220354.mp4

While I agree that sounds like a good bit of force in the video, force is not the reason it is cutting through the backing paper. Too much blade exposure is the problem there. Take the blade holder out and try to cut some vinyl by hand with a good bit of force and you too will cut through the backing paper. Adjust the blade till you just barely make an indent then stick it back in the machine and adjust the force till you get the same results. The force you use with your hand will be much greater than the force from the machine.

Thank you darcshadow but I've done that several times as well as adjusted the pressure on the machine itself.  If the blade is even barely exposed it does the same.

His point is if the blade is set correctly it is impossible for the blade to cut all the way through because the rest of the blade holder will touch the vinyl and stop that from happening. Probably has nothing to do with the problem you are having but you would be surprised how many times we get people that think that cranking the blade in or out is how you adjust the depth of cut. If your blade it not set correctly it will effect the quality of the cut. You have just a couple posts so no one knows your past experience although it would sound like you have had the cutter a while. 

As to the pressure settings, does your machine set the pressure through the cutting software or on the cutter itself? What software are you using? Did you double check that the correct drivers are being used still? Did the motherboard look the same as your old one? Sounds like a driver issue to me. I have never owned an MH machine so the specifics are probably different than what I have used. On my original cutter the speed, pressure and blade offset were all set on the machine and some software was able to override that if you wanted it to. I never did as I had better luck setting it manually. Your machine may be totally different. If so then the driver parameters are going to be even more important than just x,y control. 

• Like 1