Sign in to follow this  
rgaskins

Saltwater Aquariums

Thanks for the nice comments...I love it, still got a long way to go...I always like to see what kind of hobbies people have...

Guest Terry

Very cool we built one in to the front of a bar once at my brothers house. You ever see ones that they built in to the side of a shower stall? very cool, seen one at a very wealthy home once.  :thumbsup:

Love it!  I love saltwater aquariums as the fish are usually so colorful.  Can I safely assume it's quite costly to keep up??

Jenny

Guest Terry

They stay clearer than fresh water... But a bit more up keep in my opinion, I have had a few 50 gallon fresh ones, but my brother had salt. Very relaxing to watch and the sound of the aerator will put you.... snooze.......

I've had freshwater aquariums before, but love salt water fish.  I would assume keeping the salt water to the fishes liking would get costly.

Guest Terry

I had fresh water Gars in one and they killed and ate about $300.00 in fish, the next morning he looked like a football or a snake that swallowed a squirrel.  :D  :thumbsup:

Guest Terry

Oh and another time I was spraying a cleaner over the tank to clean aerator mist off the wall behind the tank and about 5 minutes later the fish went bazurke and lost oxygen from the chemical in the water and all died in about 15 minutes.  :thumbsup:

geez Terry, you've had some experiences with fish and aquariums  :thumbsup:  Had a fancytail goldfish (that was actually gray) that ate $30.00 worth of Neons over night and by the time he passed on....he was to large to flush....LOL  :D

Guest Terry
:thumbsup: LOL, ya guppies (neons) need to be put in time out  :D  or any fish will take them. Need grass cover.

Guest fivestar

Awesome pics, I got a goldfish my daughter got at the county fair about 3 yrs ago.  That's all the fish I got in my tank.  :thumbsup:

Guest Terry

If your a one fish person... Get a male beta put him in a small round bowl like they sell them in and hold a mirror up to the glass until he sees himself. No filter or heat needed for betas or goldfish.

very nice.....really like the saltwater guys!we have freshwater tanks ,,,cheaper and easier......been outta town for past 3 days....got back tonite and they were really @#$%^ at us....

Thanks so much for the nice replies...Its not that hard to keep once you get everything going...With live corals water quality is a MUST...I do a 20% water change every two weeks...I have it setup now where I can turn one valve to drain the 20% water and turn another to put the fresh salt water back in...My fish tank is inwall and the back is a room just for the pumps, sump and other items...But really it somewhat pays for itself...I go to alot of coral trades and sell and swap corals or atleast thats what I tell the wife...LOL...Only thing to remember is the only thing thats happens quick is bad in saltwater tanks and always get info from people who have tanks before purchasing...Lots of times pet stores sell you stuff that you wont need...

Btw, if anyone is wondering, lighting is via 3-400 watt metal halide units...

Display tank is a 180 gal. with a 75 gal. sump...Also a 55 gal. refugium...For a total of 310 gals.

Gorgeous tank, I have always wanted a salt water set up. Is it a lot more work than the fresh water tanks?

ill have to see if i can find pictures of my buddy tank he "babysat" this tank had to of been 6 ft tall by 10ft wide by 4ft wide.  it is the biggest tank i have ever seen in a home

If your a one fish person... Get a male beta put him in a small round bowl like they sell them in and hold a mirror up to the glass until he sees himself. No filter or heat needed for betas or goldfish.

[/quote

I bought a beta from wal marx for my live in girlfreind two years ago for valentines its in a vase with a water lily growing in the top of it and ive had to replace the plant three times the beta is still going strong

what i want is a freshwater stingray that they  have at my local aquatic enviroment

bty beutiful setup and pics rgaskins.I just need to get rid of my girls red tail boa and use the  tank to for some fish

DSC01300.jpg

DSC01339.jpg

I made one some time ago and wanted to see if I could raise saltwater shrimp. You can but not profitably.  They were interesting and would eat any other live thing I would put in there or overpower.

I never could figure out how they could catch a little fish and eat it but they did.

It was great sport to drop in a live earthworm and see the battle that went on. The shrimp always won.