steved13

vinyl falls off supply rollers

This is a very minor annoyance, but I would like to get it right, so I thought I would ask.

I have a feeling there is either something simple I am missing, or this is normal.

I put the vinyl supply roll on the rear rollers, and it falls off the rollers into the catch basket.  These are not full rolls, but 5-20 feat of "sample" vinyl...is it the lack of weight of a more full roll?  Or am I missing something?  The tutorial that I found that shows it, just shows him dropping it on the rollers.  If I space the rollers further apart then it just falls through...closer and it rolls off.

first thing I bet you are missing is never have the plotter pull it off the roll, prefeed what you need for the job so it doesn't pull off of the roll

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

first thing I bet you are missing is never have the plotter pull it off the roll, prefeed what you need for the job so it doesn't pull off of the roll

I thought the same thing when i first read it . 

@steved13 always pull off what you need for the job your working on. The roll should never be a weight when the material is being cut..Then cut off  when its finished.

OK will do.  I doubt I will be doing anything like it anytime soon, but I am wondering what you guys do when you are cutting something large and need 10 feet or so?  

Thanks for the help...like I said I figured it was something basic I was missing. :)

4 minutes ago, steved13 said:

OK will do.  I doubt I will be doing anything like it anytime soon, but I am wondering what you guys do when you are cutting something large and need 10 feet or so?  

Thanks for the help...like I said I figured it was something basic I was missing. :)

Roll off about 10 feet into the catch basket.    So by the time it's done cutting it never pulled anything off the roll.  

Totatally new subject, but same newbie ignorance...any reason I shouldn't remove the media basket?  I could use the room and I really don't see it's use for me/

3 hours ago, steved13 said:

Totatally new subject, but same newbie ignorance...any reason I shouldn't remove the media basket?  I could use the room and I really don't see it's use for me/

My opinion would be ,the catch basket will limit the amount of foreign debris that could get on the vinyl from static build-up .Keeping it on the floor etc just seems  common sense. And im not sure if by having it make contact with any other surface could cause static problems but im not sure..

3 hours ago, steved13 said:

Where else are you going to put that 10 ft of vinyl you just rolled out?

• Like 1

Ahh ok, that makes sense, keeping it off the floor.  I'll have to decide if I need the space or off the floor more.  LOL  Thanks again guys.

In dry winter months doing car wraps we have seen debris be sucked 3 feet off the ground and onto the vinyl!  (Fleet installs can’t always control the environmental conditions of where we are installing and there is only so much sweeping you can do at the prices we charge). If it’s going into vinyl when pulling the backing off, the same static charge will suck up debris off that office floor you thought was clean.