Herbey

Did I undercut myself on this design

Was wondering if I under priced this rear truck  window decal. Multi color 14.3 x 25.6 I told the customer $45. I don't have to install but I probably will just to make sure it is installed correctly. I usually stick to decals no bigger  than 1 SF and single color. I price them at 10 cents per sq in. 

Thanks for any input. 

20170822_020345.jpg

Is that 4 colors or 5, 1)white, 2)black, 3)red . 4)blue and a 5?)different blue?  The blues on the screen are different, but I am thinking you may have cut them the same?  

Sorry, I am too new to this to be of any help answering your question...but your question can help others like myself.

Edit: I think my inexperience is showing, maybe this is printed, and not a mutilayer cut?

I am new to this and wanted advice. Im guessing you did the black first then layed all other colors on top? I would think something like that would take some time and skilly to get it perfectly layed on the base. I think I would be charging more maybe $100 but what do i know.

22 minutes ago, eprcvinyls said:

I am new to this and wanted advice. Im guessing you did the black first then layed all other colors on top? I would think something like that would take some time and skilly to get it perfectly layed on the base. I think I would be charging more maybe $100 but what do i know.

At that price you would never sell any and it really isn't that hard to do 

3 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

At that price you would never sell any and it really isn't that hard to do 

Cool video,, hadnt seen that.. Well as you know and i said im new.. Ive seen most on here seem to tell people there not charging enough.. I would think the one he did would take longer maybe not if you know what your doing.

Having the thick black areas between the colors helps as well since a minor misalignment will not be as noticeable $45 sounds about right to me.

I rarely do decals like this but here's what I'd do.. I charge the dimensions on every color. For this decal, I'd split the colors up and line them up as if they're ready to cut, see what the dimensions are and total them up. The text is over 24 inches so on my 24 inch machine I'd have to tilt it (cutting horizontal is a waste of vinyl).

Optional - Notice the white pieces circled in green are out of place. They double the width of the white parts of the fish, so I'd move them close to cut them then layer them separately later.

Optional - I may also add a little to the measurements because I'd actually use about 16 inches of vinyl to get a 15 inch piece. You may notice that I round up the measurements a little already.

I'd charge $75. I'd probably charge $100 if I installed it. If that's too much, good, I hate decals and didn't want to do it anyway.

But in reality, you're using less than $10 of material. If you're happy making $35 on the job, you did fine. You'd be happier if you made $65 though.

price.jpg

• Like 2