kainth.c.s

Help required to prevent peeling and bubbling

Hello everyone

I did this van last saturday and used Metamark M7. The dark blue background and the light blue are all vinyl. I have also attached a data sheet of the vinyl used by me. Due to being a budget conscious person he didn't want to go for printing. But I experienced that after a day, the vinyl started to peel off and looked like air has gone into it. On the upper right picture (the one with the sliding door, I saw the air bubble sprouting up from the bottom edge (AUTO AIR CO.. side and CONDITIONING side). The blue vinyl is actually in tewo pieces.

1. The guy told me after I put the vinyl that he had some patchwork done on the door and painted it using cheap spray can of white paint, after which he waxed it. Can this be the reason for the vinyl peeling off mates?

2. He started being pushy in the first instance, so I coudn't get enough time for the dark blue vinyl to get dried up before I started with the stickers in light blue on it. Can this be the reason why cinyls are bubbling and peeling off?. I used soapy water to put the dark blue vinyl on and started with the light blue after an hour or so.

I need to redo the blue bit. But as I tried to peel the vinyl off, I noticed it is stripping some paint from the side where he has done patchwork. Please advise:

1. How can I remove the vinyl with minimal damage to the paint?

2. How long do I need to let that dark blue vinyl background sit before I move on with the light blue stickers please?

3. How good is the alcohol (methanol) to remove wax from the stickers area please? Any other thing you would recommend?

Awaiting replies and inputs

Singh

20952993_10155625591071575_3120627390099451481_n.jpg

m7-1.jpg

2 red flags to me immediately are you used a calandared vinyl on the body panes that should have had cast vinyl used - 2nd is with poor paintwork NO vinyl application would be warranted if proper material had been used.  Alcohol takes off most wax and instead of soapy water I would use a product like rapidtac 

• Like 2

I need to redo the blue bit. But as I tried to peel the vinyl off, I noticed it is stripping some paint from the side where he has done patchwork. Please advise:

I have read that some guys wait weeks before applying vinyl ( cast or proper automotive vinyl) to newly painted vehicles. Sounds like the paint was junk anyways.

8 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

2 red flags to me immediately are you used a calandared vinyl on the body panes that should have had cast vinyl used - 2nd is with poor paintwork NO vinyl application would be warranted if proper material had been used.  Alcohol takes off most wax and instead of soapy water I would use a product like rapidtac 

Hi

I couldn't find rapidtac over here in australia. Any alternative you can suggest to prep the surface before sticking the decals on?. Morever, how to remove the partially stuck decals from the van? Heat gun? I have got some cast vinyl in and will be using wax and grease remover to get rid of the wax

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jburns said:

I have read that some guys wait weeks before applying vinyl ( cast or proper automotive vinyl) to newly painted vehicles. Sounds like the paint was junk anyways.

Of course it was. Some of it came off when I had to reposition the vinyl. Would dry application be helpful or using a heat gun?

Dry application is risky for a layered job - you cant move into position - No I would not use a heatgun.

Your customer needs a better paint job before you do any more work. 

• Like 2

That is too bad, it was a good looking job.

I agree with Jburns regarding the repaint for the van.  Reading your first post over I am guessing the customer isn't going to do that, in fact he may blame you for the paint peeling off.  Good luck getting this situation resolved,

Cal

• Like 1

I work in a body shop and the paint is absolutely what caused the problem. Paint will outgas for a long time after it's been sprayed and paint manufacturers tell you to wait a certain amount of time (usually 4 or 6 weeks) before even waxing new paint because certain waxes (any containing carnuba are the worst) can seal the paint and there's nowhere for that gas to go. The same applies to vinyl.

Since he used "cheap spray can of white paint, after which he waxed it," there's no telling what happened. It's possible that the wax sealed the paint, the paint bubbled on it's own and the vinyl had nothing to do with it.

The bottom line is that the vehicle wasn't ready to have vinyl applied and I wouldn't warranty it unless I really wanted to keep that customer. In that case I would explain all that to him and explain that you can try to heat the vinyl for a few seconds and try to pull it off gently and slowly but it may take the paint with it. If it does, there's two options; he can paint it again and bring it back in a month to re-vinyl that section, or you can put vinyl over the missing paint now. That will protect the metal and keep it from rusting so that it won't really need repainted, but the vinyl will be bumpy wherever paint is missing.

It's a tough situation. A vinyl guy shouldn't have to be an expert on paint, but you can't expect an air conditioner guy to be an expert on paint or vinyl either.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jmas said:

I work in a body shop and the paint is absolutely what caused the problem. Paint will outgas for a long time after it's been sprayed and paint manufacturers tell you to wait a certain amount of time (usually 4 or 6 weeks) before even waxing new paint because certain waxes (any containing carnuba are the worst) can seal the paint and there's nowhere for that gas to go. The same applies to vinyl.

Since he used "cheap spray can of white paint, after which he waxed it," there's no telling what happened. It's possible that the wax sealed the paint, the paint bubbled on it's own and the vinyl had nothing to do with it.

The bottom line is that the vehicle wasn't ready to have vinyl applied and I wouldn't warranty it unless I really wanted to keep that customer. In that case I would explain all that to him and explain that you can try to heat the vinyl for a few seconds and try to pull it off gently and slowly but it may take the paint with it. If it does, there's two options; he can paint it again and bring it back in a month to re-vinyl that section, or you can put vinyl over the missing paint now. That will protect the metal and keep it from rusting so that it won't really need repainted, but the vinyl will be bumpy wherever paint is missing.

It's a tough situation. A vinyl guy shouldn't have to be an expert on paint, but you can't expect an air conditioner guy to be an expert on paint or vinyl either.

He insisted me to go over revinyling it and has agreed to pay for the labour. I will have a part of blue vinyl redone at his cost. He understands the risks and has been told that it is going to damage the paint, especially from the area wherein he has patched. Fingers crossed

• Like 1

Hi All

An Update:

Two weeks ago he brought back the van and I sanded the patchwork area using a very fine sander. On the area wherein the stickers were to be adhered to, I cleaned it with Turpentine followed by Methanol followed by normal cleaner so as to remove any wax. Next day, I adhered the blue background and let the decals adhere to the van. I let them sit for 24 hours and next evening I stuck the decals. I told him that I need his van forat least four days to which he agreed. He took his van about a week and a half ago and hasn't complained about ityet. I guess this method worked.

Fingers crossed

Thanks a ton for your help guys

• Like 1

On 8/23/2017 at 2:39 AM, Jburns said:

Dry application is risky for a layered job - you cant move into position - No I would not use a heatgun.

Your customer needs a better paint job before you do any more work. 

Hi Jburns

It was only using the heatgun that I could peel the decal off from the area wherein the paint was good. Without it , I guess the decals woould have bought the paint off.

I didn't heat it too much, just slightly andthe decal came off perfectly

• Like 1

Thanks for those follow ups kainth.  It is these follow ups that really help us out to know what might help us is we get in a similar circumstance.

Cal